Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 4:57:26 PM EDT
All I want is for my son to have a decent mitt to play catch with. I walk into Dick's to scope them out beforehand and I'm immediately confronted with a dizzying array of choices. It's a whole wall of mitts to choose from. Infielders, outfielders, pitchers mitt, catchers mitts. Good grief!

I'm going to take him in this weekend to try them on but what does the hive recommend for just a plain mitt to throw the ball in the backyard with?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Outfielders mitt.  Nice and big.  Break it in properly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Fielders use gloves. Catchers and firstbasemen use mitts.

Edit;

The difference is in the design. Gloves have seperated fingers. Mitts don't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edit;

I was a catcher; I called everything a mitt.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

All I want is for my son to have a decent mitt to play catch with. I walk into Dick's to scope them out beforehand and I'm immediately confronted with a dizzying array of choices. It's a whole wall of mitts to choose from. Infielders, outfielders, pitchers mitt, catchers mitts. Good grief!

I'm going to take him in this weekend to try them on but what does the hive recommend for just a plain mitt to throw the ball in the backyard with?

Target carries a surprising amount of youth mitts.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#6]
How much you want to spend???

get both!!

you and the boy in the backyard ––- this will work

He could play little league for a few years with this one

what my 13 year old uses just a shorter version for pitching infield

A difference between pitching/infield/outfield is size 10"/ 10.5"/ 11"

another would be web design but eh whatever....

1st base is like a catchers mitt and more specific.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy something from Rawlings, Nokona, or Wilson that fits and is in your price range.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit;

Tim_the_enchanter knows much that is hidden and a thing or two about gloves.

I guess I never thought about the difference.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hate to say these words...

Back in my day, break-in consisted of liberal amounts of Neatsfoot oil then putting a baseball in the pocket of the glove and using some serious rubber bands to close the glove then letting it sit for a night or two. I suppose if I did that today it would be wrong?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to say these words...

Back in my day, break-in consisted of liberal amounts of Neatsfoot oil then putting a baseball in the pocket of the glove and using some serious rubber bands to close the glove then letting it sit for a night or two. I suppose if I did that today it would be wrong?

Actually, they sell just such a kit at Dick's, among other places.

In general, try not to make the mistake of getting a glove that is way too big. If the kid doesn't know where the end of the glove is and can't convincingly snap it closed on his own, it it probably too big. Get an 11 or 12 inch glove, not some 13 or 14 inch glove that is just a big basket at the end of his arm.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok folks, thanks for the input. I think I've got a pretty good idea of where to actually start now. I had pretty much figured in the $40-60 range. Looks like I can get a fairly decent glove for what it will be used for at that price.

I'm thinking 11 inch outfielders glove. I'll make sure it fits it him.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy a Nokona and take care of it, his kids will use it.

ETA, sorry, you put your price range in while I was typing, buy an all leather Wilson or something similar.  Number one mistake most people make is buying to big of a glove.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have a Nokona made of buffalo hide. It's almost art.

ETA: ask about a third base style glove, its longer than an infield, but not as long as an outfield.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nokona is the LaRue of the baseball world.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seems that would be a wiser investment a few years down the line though.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll bet you can find some nice gloves on Craig's List, maybe free.

I second this idea.  My wife somehow lost her crappy glove she'd had for years a few days before a big weekend softball tournament.  I found a virtually brand new Wilson A-2000 on Craigslist for $75.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Nokona gloves are works of art.  I have 2 catcher's mitts that were passed down to me from my uncle and 2 first baseman's mitts (1 that I used for years that's thoroughly broken in and 1 that I bought new a few years ago off eBay).  Quality but costly.

If I ever have a child, I'll just buy them a glove that compares more to Bushmaster/Stag/Armalite than a LaRue.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on Nokona. That's what I used throughout high school and its definitely the best
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#20]
If the kid ever shows a serious interest in the game then I'll pony up the cash for the Nokona. Untill then, I'm sticking with my price range. I am going to check craigslist though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If the kid ever shows a serious interest in the game then I'll pony up the cash for the Nokona. Untill then, I'm sticking with my price range. I am going to check craigslist though.

#1) Rawlings or #2) Wilson in the range you specified.  Try to avoid the "gimic" line of gloves with the adjustable wristband, finger inserts, etc, etc.  Dick's should have a plain jane Rawlings for about $59.99 that will fit the bill, their online selection is usually quite different than what shows up at the local stores.  The buyers for the distribution centers vs the stores are usually different folks.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top