BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm sending this to my neurologist friend.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a Chaplain, when I was in Germany, that had Tourette's.  Services were a hoot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:40:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to work with a cop who had Tourettes.

(And no, that's not the beginning of a joke. Absolutely true.)

"You have the FUCK right to ASS remain silent.  Anything you say can will be used against you in a CUMBUCKET court of law."

Not far off.

A lot of "Oh Jesus!", and "Fuck you"...

Freaked me out, the first time I met him.

I mean, c'mon... who thinks a cop is gonna have tourettes?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I myself have a mild case of Tourette's. It never caused any of the verbal tics most of you seem so amused by, just facial spasms and such. Still, I would give anything to be free of it. Medication keeps it mostly suppressed, but it's still there. It's a lot easier to deal with these days, I think, because more people are aware of what it is, as opposed to when I was growing up, when people would look at you like "What the fuck is wrong with this guy?" Not too good for the old self-esteem  I've seen much worse cases than mine, and can only imagine what it must be like.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
BALL HAIR!

/deuce bigelo
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I myself have a mild case of Tourette's. It never caused any of the verbal tics most of you seem so amused by, just facial spasms and such. Still, I would give anything to be free of it. Medication keeps it mostly suppressed, but it's still there. It's a lot easier to deal with these days, I think, because more people are aware of what it is, as opposed to when I was growing up, when people would look at you like "What the fuck is wrong with this guy?" Not too good for the old self-esteem  I've seen much worse cases than mine, and can only imagine what it must be like.

I too have been diagnosed as having very mild Tourette syndrome.  Mine generally manifests itself as a series of nervous tics.  Blinking and slight "grimaces".  The one that drives my wife insane is what she terms "flicking".  Involves me taking my thumb and flicking it against one of the other fingers.  If I get into a groove and start talking rapidly I will sometimes drop something nonsensical into a sentence.  I realize I have done it when folks get a stunned look on their faces. Worst social faux pas was when I dropped a GD in the midst of the conversation at a Minister's Luncheon I attended with my dad.  I didn't even realize it until my brother told me later.  Overall it is not a big deal to me. My kids all have strange little nicknames that are the results of not real words I have dropped on them during "rants".
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Real.  I knew a kid who had it.  He had all kinds of twitches and make clucking sounds.  He was medicated for it.  Without the meds, he really was almost paralyzed by it.  He would move so much that he would get sweaty and eventually tire himself out.  Great kid.  Felt real bad for him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:11:59 AM EDT
[#8]
fucking tourettes?  fucking how does it fucking work fuck?   i don't fucking know you cock bag.

shit balls cock.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:20:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

fucking tourettes?  fucking how does it fucking work fuck?

Damn it! I was just going there...

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Fuck! Ass!

BDS; my first thought too.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll admit it I actually do have Tourette Syndrome, no joke. But nothing like what those guys have

All I have now is a few small twitches in one of the fingers in my left hand. When I was a kid I had it a lot worse, I had a eye twitch that I would do until it started bleeding. I have never had any verbal ticks though. For most people as you get older it goes away somewhat and you learn how to control it. I don't have to take medication or do anything special. If you knew me now you would never know I had it unless I told you. Very very few people have it severe enough that they randomly cuss. I'd say probably less then a few hundred on the entire planet.

I have seen people that have OCD so bad they will do something until it becomes harmful to them. Like wash there hands until they rub all of the skin off

Though I did lie and use my tourette syndrome in grade school to call the principle and a few teachers names and get away with it

BTW those videos make me laugh also
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]
So if a child was raised in an environment where "bad words" were not used and therefore not exposed to the stereotypical Tourette's catchphrases, what would he say?

Is the language component frozen at a certain age and corresponding vocabulary - could the adult be stuck with inoffensive and lame things to shout?
Too much for GD, I know.
Bailey

Bailey

Bailey
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too have been diagnosed as having very mild Tourette syndrome.  Mine generally manifests itself as a series of nervous tics.  Blinking and slight "grimaces".  The one that drives my wife insane is what she terms "flicking".  Involves me taking my thumb and flicking it against one of the other fingers.  If I get into a groove and start talking rapidly I will sometimes drop something nonsensical into a sentence.  I realize I have done it when folks get a stunned look on their faces. Worst social faux pas was when I dropped a GD in the midst of the conversation at a Minister's Luncheon I attended with my dad.  I didn't even realize it until my brother told me later.  Overall it is not a big deal to me. My kids all have strange little nicknames that are the results of not real words I have dropped on them during "rants".

+1

Facial Tics

Check out "comorbidity" with other anxiety disorders. I have OCD pure O too
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top