Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2002 4:06:31 PM EDT
Well it's been about 6 months since we've done this. Time to start making life difficult for liberal, anti-gunners AGAIN.

INTEL: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=109050[/url]

For 15 years, Patrick Washburn has displayed a Reconstruction-era rifle on the wall of his office at Ohio University (OU). The firearm, a family heirloom passed down from his great-grandfather, seemed to be an appropriate antique for Mr. Washburn to hang there: Mr. Washburn is a journalism professor specializing in the history of wartime press.

But now, he's the one doing battle with Ohio University administrators. Although Mr. Washburn is one of the nation's foremost media historians and is the incoming president of the American Journalism Historians Association, campus bureaucrats apparently feared he might dust off the relic and shoot up the campus. So on Jan. 25, they dispatched campus police to Mr. Washburn's office and ordered him to remove the 1878 Springfield rifle.
View Quote

Fire Mission: Email Barrage

Support Letter to the victim.
Protest letters to the target.

Victim Intel:

Patrick Washburn, Patrick S Washburn, Patrick Washburn 1

Surname: Washburn
Given Name: Patrick
Campus: Athens
Organizational Unit: Faculty and Staff
Internet Address: [url][email protected][/url]
Dept.: Journalism
Postal Address: Scripps Hall
Athens
OH
United States
Phone: (740)593-XXXX (Editted)
unique id: washburp
White Pages Name: pwashburn1

Target Intel:

Robert Glidden, Robert B Glidden, Robert Glidden 1

Surname: Glidden
Given Name: Robert
Campus: Athens
Organizational Unit: Faculty and Staff
Internet Address: [url][email protected][/url]
Dept.: President's Office
Title: President
Postal Address: Cutler Hall
Athens
OH
United States
Phone: (740)593-1804
unique id: gliddenr
White Pages Name: gliddenr

Ohio Univerity Homepage: [url]http://www.ohiou.edu/[/url]

Let's make 'em pay.

Post your email letters here, for others to use as ideas and any replies received.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I live in Athens, and from my experience, its those damn hippie college students' fault.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I live in Athens, and from my experience, its those damn hippie college students' fault.
View Quote

We already KNOW who the enemy is. He has been ID'd in the original post.

I know you are new so this is how it works. We don't bitch about it, or comment on it. This isn't that kind of thread. We DO something about it. So kick off a letter and post your actions here.

Feel free to do a search for AR15.com ARMY to see how we operate.

And Welcome to FORT AR-15.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I can understand the fear, for they forgot to mention that it was a RARE, [b]BELTFED[/b] 1878 Springfield rifle and it used the hi-tech 1 candlepower night sighting device.  [whacko]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#6]
To the President of the University:

Dear Sir:

This is true?:

For 15 years, Patrick Washburn has displayed a Reconstruction-era rifle on the wall of his office at Ohio University (OU). The
firearm, a family heirloom passed down from his great-grandfather, seemed to be an appropriate antique for Mr. Washburn to
hang there: Mr. Washburn is a journalism professor specializing in the history of wartime press.

But now, he's the one doing battle with Ohio University administrators. Although Mr. Washburn is one of the nation's foremost
media historians and is the incoming president of the American Journalism Historians Association, campus bureaucrats
apparently feared he might dust off the relic and shoot up the campus. So on Jan. 25, they dispatched campus police to Mr.
Washburn's office and ordered him to remove the 1878 Springfield rifle.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]If so, you've got to be kidding!!!
I fully support the historian's choice to exhibit this representative piece of American Freedom.  
It is entirely appropriate to display in his office.
How can any  American University worthy of the name be so "Politically Correct" that they go so far as to deny American
History and this particular gentleman's own family history?
You should be ashamed of even entertaining the thought, especially in light of the events of 9-11-2001.

The irony here is your sending the campus police, armed, no doubt, to this man's office to remove the 'offending item' from his
wall.
This is simply outrageous and ridiculous behavior on the part of the University.

With all due respect...one would hope you, as President, would have the "balls" to keep this from happening in the first place!

Sincerely,
One Citizen of the United States of America[/b]

Fire one!

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
He's probably lucky it was just campus police and not the ATF!  Its probably against the law to have any working fire-arm on school property, don't know if he should be anymore above the law than any one else in regards to (fed) or state laws on such!     bob cole
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Um, Bob, the law is wrong. It's not that he should be above it. Hell, we are ALL above it.

Silly PC bullshit turned law. Now that sucks. Email sent.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Only have one question ar/15forfun,  where in the world is BLZ?     bob cole
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Dear Mr.Glidden,

I am writing you concerning your demand that Prof. Washburn remove his deactivated 1878 Springfield rifle and a spear from his office. I would have thought the President of a University would be intelligent enough to realize these items do not consitute a threat. It is my understanding that Prof. Washburn has had these items in his office without incident for over 15 years. It is also my understanding that Prof. Washburn has no history of violence or any kind of criminal history.

It is therefore obvious to me, and most thinking people, that someone had a knee jerk reation to a gun on display. We have unfortunately come to expect rabid, fanatical reactions to anything even remotely resembling a firearm in childrens schools. As a result kids are routinely expelled for squirt guns, etc. But one would think that a University for young adults that is administered by adults would be above this kind of stupidity.

I would like to think that you will see this for the pointless exercise in stupidity that it is and leave the issue alone. This way all parties involved can resume their respective duties. When my children become college age I will not consider any University that behaves in such a childish manner.

Respectfully,

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 1:50:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Bumpage...  e-mail sent.

the_reject
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Wrong, big time !!! A 1878 Springfield Rifle is an "Antique Firearm" under federal law and as such is exempted from the GCA in its entirety.

Also, the Federal Law against having guns on school grounds does not extend to College Campuses anyways.

Quoted:
He's probably lucky it was just campus police and not the ATF!  Its probably against the law to have any working fire-arm on school property, don't know if he should be anymore above the law than any one else in regards to (fed) or state laws on such!     bob cole
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Obviously we were not the only ones who sent emails.

Aimless, I'd like to thank you, BusMaster007, AR15forfun, the_reject and anyone else who actually participated in this endeavor.

We used to have much better participation.

But on the upside these assbags got put "on notice." As a result they could not steamroll this guy in the manner they are accustomed to. And they will have to "think about it" before they decide whether or not to hose the next guy.

Despite their "song and tap dance" they lost. That is a good thing.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Professor Washburn has now been informed that a gun is acceptable as a wall decoration if it is examined and determined to be inoperable.[\b]

why must it be inoperable?  it is a constitutional right to bear arms.  other institutions (private or public),  or individuals should not be allowed to violate this man's rights.

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[b]Professor Washburn has now been informed that a gun is acceptable as a wall decoration if it is examined and determined to be inoperable.[\b]

why must it be inoperable?  it is a constitutional right to bear arms.  other institutions (private or public),  or individuals should not be allowed to violate this man's rights.

View Quote

I don't believe this extends to private property not owned by that individual.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Here's a response I received today-[:D]

... Professor Washburn has now been informed that [red]a gun is acceptable as a wall decoration if it is examined and determined to be inoperable[/red].

RG
View Quote

I wonder if the school would consider an AR15 without firing pin as acceptable?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top