Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 12:22:56 PM EDT
I won a Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 in a raffle last year, and still haven't shot it.  (no scope yet)

I do beleive this is basically a Howa 1500 with a Weatherby style bolt correct?

What are the pros and cons of this rifle?

I think it has a "1 MOA" guarentee or something of that sort.  Does anyone here have one of these rifles?  Would you recommend it?

I am also taking scope suggestions, price range $300-450.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a couple marked S&W (Howa made).  Fine, solid rifle.  The trigger pull could use some improvement in my experience.  One I have already replaced with a Timney and the other will get done eventually.  Easy drop-in installation.  I think they take Rem700 Weaver bases.  Mine are both decently accurate for sporter-type rifles.  One of mine is a "walking groundhog" type rifle in .222Rem. and the other is a deer hunting rifle in 30-06.  Both will do what needs to be done.

dvo

edit to add that I'd buy again if the price was right.  I'd still probably prefer a Rem 700 or Win. 70 in a bolt gun if the price were near the sameas a Howa.  My S&W Howa's will do 1" if they like the ammo.  I'd recommend a 2-7X or 3-9X for your 30-06 assuming you will deer hunt with it.  Paying more for a scope usually works better at least until you get up to Leupold VX-3 prices.  After that it may be "snob" appeal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#2]
good guns after a trigger job..

get a leopold for it..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Howa is an under appreciated brand.  I have yet to see one that is bad.  A great value and a great performer with good optics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

get a leopold for it..

I played with and adjusted my triggers a number of times and never got them light and crisp both.  It was either heavy and crisp, or creepy and light.  That's why I replaced with a Timney.  Now I am happy.

dvo

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

get a leopold for it..

I played with and adjusted my triggers a number of times and never got them light and crisp both.  It was either heavy and crisp, or creepy and light.  That's why I replaced with a Timney.  Now I am happy.

dvo

heh im a gunsmith.. and I stone them and replace springs..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I won a stainless laminated-butthole stock 1500 in .300WSM w/ nikko-sterling 3x9.  Never fired it, wood looked a little rough around the edges.  Sold it to a new hunter for a song.  He loves it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) in .300 Weatherby ... It shoots quite well... does pack helluva wallop on the shooter though!  I like it... It's reserved for use against Zombie elephants...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Leupold is good.  Can't argue.

So is Nikon.  A Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with either a Bullet Drop Compensator (BDC) reticle or a Mil-Dot reticle is $310.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa) in .300 Weatherby ... It shoots quite well... does pack helluva wallop on the shooter though!  I like it... It's reserved for use against Zombie elephants...

Picked one up at wal-mart back during the spring, was going to shoot it this evening if UPS hadn't messed up my ammo delivery.

Any of you weatherby vanguard owners ever decide you get tired of the factory (magnum action, of course) wood stock and want to sell it to me, shoot me an IM or email.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one in .257Wby and love it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
My son has one, with 180grain SPBTs it's a tack driver, with 150grain SPBTs not so much.  It is a great rifle though and I'm looking for one in .308.
My son loves his.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top