Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 11:10:03 AM EDT
I am looking for a site where I can legally download virus-free music as cheaply as possible.

What do you guys use?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#1]
good luck with that..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
good luck with that..

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazon's been good to me so far, $0.99 per song and sometimes they run specials like an entire album for $5.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Posts Per Day:

Mother of God.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, legally..

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh, legally..

ya thats why i said good luck..

but Demonoid is pretty good..
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Posts Per Day:

Mother of God.

If you can think of a better use of my time while I'm at work I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Legally? none that I know of...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#9]
gomusic.ru

It is legal in russia (purchase of an album gives the purchaser the right to distribute it for a fee).  Not sure about here; its a cloudy subject because you are not stealing it and they are not stealing it.  They have never stolen my money, but they are russian so you never know.  10-15 cents a song is pretty cheap and you usually get new releases a week early.  I fund it with $20 visa gift cards so my personal stuff never goes in to their system.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#10]
<CoC>
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Cheaper than $0.99 per song and legal in the US? Hmmm. Yeah.

Hmmm. Still thinking....Wait!

No, that ain't it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I heard there were sites where you can legally download all the music you want for like $10 or $20 a month.

Anyone know anything about those?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I heard there were sites where you can legally download all the music you want for like $10 or $20 a month.

No idea.

I'm definitely no help here. I'll just be frank - a great deal (dare I say most of) the 300+ vinyl records I own, are the direct result of wanting to own the physical equivalents of the mp3's I scoured from pirate blogs and torrents.

It goes like this - I find some obscure album nobody's ever heard of, I download the whole damn thing in 60 seconds, give it a listen to make sure it doesn't suck, then head over to ebay to buy the LP for ~$20.

This is about as useless as tits on a boar hog if you're into really modern mainstream music, but...there it is.

For whatever reason, I just REALLY enjoy holding my music in my hot little hands.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Rhapsody. The catch is if you let your subscription run out, the songs you downloaded stop working until you re-up. But I believe they'll work on any MP3 player, and Rhapsody either sells or licensed an MP3 player with their software on it to make transferring music easier. Songs average $.99 otherwise.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rhapsody. The catch is if you let your subscription run out, the songs you downloaded stop working until you re-up. But I believe they'll work on any MP3 player, and Rhapsody either sells or licensed an MP3 player with their software on it to make transferring music easier. Songs average $.99 otherwise.    

That sucks. So much for the plan of downloading all the songs I want in one month and then cancelling my subscription.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks. So much for the plan of downloading all the songs I want in one month and then cancelling my subscription.

Go with Amazon MP3 then.  No DRM or anything.   You bought it and you can do whatever you want with it.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go with Amazon MP3 then.  No DRM or anything.   You bought it and you can do whatever you want with it.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He seems to want something cheaper than $1 a tune.

Really though, that's pretty damned cheap. You can find entire albums for $10, and that's really not a bad price AT ALL.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Amazon's been good to me so far, $0.99 per song and sometimes they run specials like an entire album for $5.

Yep, this is what I use.  Back when iTunes, Yahoo Music and Walmart.com still had DRM, Amazon did not have DRM so they got all my business.  Now even the mighty Apple empire recognized that DRM sucks.

Amazon has some really good deals so check fatwallet.com or other deal sites daily.  People will post deals so you don't have to go searching for them.  As an example, I downloaded the 99 Essential Beethoven series for $0.99!  That's 99 songs for less than a buck.  I ended up getting the Mozart series as well for the same price.

Alternatively you can record from Internet radio.  Same thing as taping from the FM radio off a cassette deck in the 1980s.  Download Screamer Radio and find a station that you like and you can use it record. It automatically separates the songs into separate tracks and will label them for you according to your preferences.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Posts Per Day:

Mother of God.

If you can think of a better use of my time while I'm at work I'm all ears.

How about doing yourjob while your at work???

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Newsgroups.

Check slashdot.org

There's one... stumbl or something like that.

Google free mp3's.

Believe it or not, there are some people that put their own music on the internet and allow free downloads. It won't be the popular new music but then again, a lot of that is crap. Check independent labels and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Amazon.com.  

Non DRM mp3 files, either individually or a whole CD worth.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I love zune.net, especially great if you have a Zune :-)

$15 for unlimited downloads (DRM) but you get to keep 10 mp3's that aren't DRMd per month.  Way better than itunes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top