Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 8:48:06 AM EDT
I've been under the assumption that the Mandate portion of the law is unconstitutional and that the Supreme Court would rule accordingly. Supreme Court decisions are very narrow in scope so if they rule that way it says absolutely nothing about the constitutionality of a Single Payer Health Care System just that a Mandate to pay is unlawful.......whats to stop the Obama admin from just making it part of our national budget? Just squeeze it in there with Soc Sec, Medicare etc and the other Trillions of dollars of unfunded liabilities we already have under some deliberately misinterpreted phrase in the constitution?

I was optimistic about getting this thing repealed but the more I think about it the more it looks like its here to stay in some form or another.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the things that gives me a warm fuzzy is that it has been told to me that Congress forgot to put in the little part that says that if one part of the law gets struck down then the rest will stand alone.  So, it would seem that once the mandate gets struck down then the whole thing is gone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of the things that gives me a warm fuzzy is that it has been told to me that Congress forgot to put in the little part that says that if one part of the law gets struck down then the rest will stand alone.  So, it would seem that once the mandate gets struck down then the whole thing is gone.

Hmm, was not aware of that, if it is indeed the case.....huge IF.

If they have to start from square one I dont believe they'll get the votes for whatever monstrosity they come up with next.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Whoa, you're saying there's no severability clause? Can anyone verify?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You're kidding right? Verify? Read some 2,000+ pages of legalese? Hell, Congress didn't even bother to read what's in it... there may be provisions for free Tootsie-Pops in there for every American for all Congress knows.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
FBHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top