Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 6:34:11 AM EDT
I've got some political meetings to attend...where the dress code includes jeans, button up shirt (tie optional,) and a decent pair of shoes.

I'm a sith lord of earthwork and road construction - so my fashion knowledge is limited to whatever my wife leaves on top of the folded laundry basket.

Suit jacket? Sports jacket? Anything more than that? Number of buttons, pockets, etc....

Should I hit Goodwill for a leisure suit? lol....

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got some political meetings to attend...where the dress code includes jeans, button up shirt (tie optional,) and a decent pair of shoes.

I'm a sith lord of earthwork and road construction - so my fashion knowledge is limited to whatever my wife leaves on top of the folded laundry basket.

Suit jacket? Sports jacket? Anything more than that? Number of buttons, pockets, etc....

Should I hit Goodwill for a leisure suit? lol....

I have been to many political meetings and even though you can wear blue jeans, long sleeve shirt (buttoned) and casual shoes, you may be better off with khaki dockers or even a business suit if you are meeting governors.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]
^^ What he said.  Jeans and sportcoats are rarely appropriate for anything beyond casual encounters.  This is because jeans are not business wear (despite whatever exhortations to the contrary you may hear).  

You can't magically transform the inappropriate to the appropriate by combining it with something else.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You cannot pull off this look.  Just default to a blue blazer and khakis.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Dark blue jeans (no light blue or black) and a black sport coat usually looks okay. Personally I'd say you're better off with a blue blazer and khakis, no tie if it's less formal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
ask jeff foxworthy?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

ask jeff foxworthy?

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with this. Jeans and sports coat are still really casual. Better to go trousers, polo and sports coat if you don't want to go full suit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ask jeff foxworthy?

If you think wearing jeans to a formal meeting is OK, you might be a redneck?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I noticed you said 'tie optional'. For future reference never ever wear a tie with blue jeans. If the occasion calls for a tie then wear a suit.

Otherwise, the look is very easy to pull off. I do all the time.

I find the best jeans to wear are dark blue, fairly form fitting jeans. You want pretty straight legs and thigh, no bagginess. The darker blue the better. Crisp newer ones are the best. I usually have two pair of Express for Men jeans that i keep just for wearing with the look.

The shirt should be long sleeve button up. Solid color is best. Most any will do. I usually wear white (good neutral go to color) but red and a light blue are acceptable. Again, Express for men has excellent button up shirts for the look. Don't wear a serious dress shirt but don't wear a wrinkly cheap shirt either. Make sure you iron it at least.

I do not tuck mine in, some do. Matter of preference. I think untucked looks more relaxed. Since you have taken the care to wear new crisp jeans and shirt people will know you are laid back and not lazy with the untucked business.

Now then, the sports coat/jacket. Make sure you are wearing a sports coat and NOT a blazer (blazer generally has silver or gold button on the cuffs). Also make sure you are wearing a sports coat and not one of those wannabe cheapo jacket/shirt looking things that were the rage a year or two ago. They have their place but in this look they don't.  Black is always a safe color, as is brown. Preferably in solid color as well. I do not like designs (pinstripe, herringbone, etc.) on mine. If you want different do it with material. I have a standard black, a velvety black, a standard brown and a velvety brown (alogn with a host of others).

As for shoes, just make sure they match your coat (same with belt if tucked). There are ways around this but for now just match shoes to coat. Cowboy boots aren't TOO bad but I don't wear them. I wear gator type of slip ons. No laces, with heals, and a generally square toe. Not shined but they are well kept and unmarred.

Hope it helps.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Black two button blazer or a leather jacket.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

https://andersonlittle.com/

On weekends, I frequently wear a blazer, jeans (usually with a white shirt, tucked in) and brown shoes/belt. You won't find a better new, less expensive, quality blazer than Anderson Little. I opted for their silver buttons. You can do khakis if you want.

Don't wear a tie with jeans. Don't wear a polo with a sportcoat/blazer.

You can do a polo with a jacket. At least that's what I've been told.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Always dress one level above the others in the room.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't wear jeans w/ a sportcoat to a political gathering.

A good pair of slacks is prolly more comfortable anyway

Buy a pair of pants NOT made out of 100% cotton. If you are opposed to a collared shirt, invest in a nice mock.

You can wear it under a sportcoat and look like a million bucks, but still casual.

Another option is a classic V-neck sweater (cashmere, merino wool or acrylic, NOT cotton). Still look good but casual w/ a jacket.

Standard 2 button sportcoat w/ plain buttons; if you don't know what to get, just ask a sales rep.
Speed
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:21:19 AM EDT
[#15]
marcushire, that is the best deadpan humor post I've read all day.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://andersonlittle.com/

On weekends, I frequently wear a blazer, jeans (usually with a white shirt, tucked in) and brown shoes/belt. You won't find a better new, less expensive, quality blazer than Anderson Little. I opted for their silver buttons. You can do khakis if you want.

Don't wear a tie with jeans. Don't wear a polo with a sportcoat/blazer.

You can do a polo with a jacket. At least that's what I've been told.

It seems like some guys can pull it off and other can't.

Also, it depends on the polo shirt...most of my golf shirts are cut bigger and just look stupid w/ a jacket.

But a good fitting classic polo goes ok w/ some jackets.

I'm not a fan, but I've done it before.

Speed

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Always dress one level above the others in the room.

Generally speaking I'd rather be over than underdressed.  This has served me well.

That being said, when dealing with elected officials it's best to dress at their level or just below.  A lot of this depends on the area/region you're going to.  In metropolitan areas (suit) I wouldn't dress the same as if I was attending a meeting/award ceremony in a town of 5,000 pop(nice shirt, khakis/blue jeans, sport coat).

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#18]
lol....good point re: Jeff Foxworthy

I'm a selectman for a rural town with a substantial population.  Typically I just wear jeans, nice shoes, and a clean button up shirt.  I match my belt to the shoes.  Perhaps that's enough.  Another  couple councilor fellas wear  jeans with sports jackets.  Does look pretty lame, but figured they must know something I don't.  I'm the practical get it done and spare me the rhetorical nonsense option on the council....so I don't mind looking like a blue collar knucklehead.  Thanks for the input, and the laughs!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

lol....good point re: Jeff Foxworthy

I'm a selectman for a rural town with a substantial population. Typically I just wear jeans, nice shoes, and a clean button up shirt. I match my belt to the shoes. Perhaps that's enough. Another couple councilor fellas wear jeans with sports jackets. Does look pretty lame, but figured they must know something I don't. I'm the practical get it done and spare me the rhetorical nonsense option on the council....so I don't mind looking like a blue collar knucklehead. Thanks for the input, and the laughs!

If your going to play "dress up" keep it simple. get yourself a pair of black dockers, some decent dress shoes and a simple white button up shirt.  roll your sleeves up to the elbow to let these hoity-toity types know your a workin man.

dont go the whole blazer /w jeans look, imo dont try to be something you're not, everyone will know it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:40:22 AM EDT
[#20]
None.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:44:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top