Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 12:38:17 AM EDT
I saw a few episodes of Cops today. Always good entertainment. I noticed that they featured the Broward County Sheriffs department in a lot of the episodes.

Anyone have any first hand experience with these guys? Seems like a pretty dangerous area, in more then one episode they recovered loaded weapons and showed a certain proficiency with weapons that you don't normally see on the show.

But, there seems to be some hijinks with these guys! They hit a suspect running on foot with a car, are always super quick to put guns in peoples faces, they seem like serious cowboys. It doesn't even look like they wear uniforms, just a pair of jeans, maybe old cammies, tactical vest over a t shirt. Loaded with gear, those zipcuffs and crap. Anyone ever hear of these guys before?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#1]
not all of them are like that, thats probably just a special unit or something. All the ones I saw down there rolled around in uniform.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like they are cleaning up a lot of crime to be honest.

I was just surprised at what gear whores they are, must be federal grants.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]
You should see the deputies in Palm Beach county, which is just to the north of Broward. Even out on normal patrol they can be seen wearing OD green BDU's, chest rigs, boonie hats and other crazy shit. Talk about 'militarized'...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Crime Suppression Unit
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's plenty to 'clean' in the Ft. Liquordale area.    

+1 Broward County is a shithole.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Many of the episodes in question took place in the early 90's. This was during the Nick Navarro and Ken Jenne eras. Corruption by the Sheriffs trickled down into the Deputies. The "cowboy" factor was necessary to clean up the crack infested welfare recipient areas. BSO today is vastly different than it was during the filming of those episodes. The neighborhoods are the same, the crime is the same, the people are the same. Anywhere you have section 8 housing, welfare recipients, and oppressed people there will be problems with drug dealing, robberies and murder. Sometimes alternative police tactics are necessary in order to facilitate the flushing of the toilet!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and no. Different parts of Broward. The more southwest part of Broward is generally not too bad.  If you just want shithole, drive south to Dade County
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:10:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:21:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You should see the deputies in Palm Beach county, which is just to the north of Broward. Even out on normal patrol they can be seen wearing OD green BDU's, chest rigs, boonie hats and other crazy shit. Talk about 'militarized'...

Umm... you do know what website you're posting on... right?  

You do know that most posters here have a closet full of that stuff.... right?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#12]
BSO is very similar to how the NOLA cops were. Atleast it was back in the late 90s early 2000. Corrupt as fuck and running shit like their personal vegas.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Most the dade cops Ive seen dont know florida gun laws and have hauled a few people off to jail for breaking the law when they werent
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
John Walsh lives in South Florida or did when he started cops. Most of the early episodes were South Florida jurisdictions.  I have lived in South Florida for most of my life and was a toddler when they found Adam's head very near where I lived then.

South Florida can be a shit hole or a paradise.  I try to enjoy the best of what South Florida has too offer, but never forget that the shit hole is never far away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Broward county covers a huge area from the everglades to the atlantic coast...BCSO (broward co sheriffs office) has a ton of jurisdictions everywhere. From parkland which is an over $400,000 house planned city community all the way to shithole parts of ft lauderdale, lauderhill, and sunrise.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you're in the wrong neighborhood.  Move 15-20 minutes west.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I am a Broward County FL native. Oh what a fun place.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#18]
The older ones(they ran series in '89 and again in '92) had a lot of work with the task forces(drugs, etc).
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
John Walsh lives in South Florida or did when he started cops. Most of the early episodes were South Florida jurisdictions.  I have lived in South Florida for most of my life and was a toddler when they found Adam's head very near where I lived then.

South Florida can be a shit hole or a paradise.  I try to enjoy the best of what South Florida has too offer, but never forget that the shit hole is never far away.

Not trying to be an ass, but do you mean America's Most Wanted?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

John Walsh had nothing to do with Cops. That was America's Most Wanted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top