Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 11:46:47 PM EDT
Hi GD, I've been a long time lurker and seldom poster, but I saw something tonight that I'd like more input on.

It's 3:30 am and I was heading upstairs to my bedroom when I saw a black SUV (mid 90's Ford Explorer) with hazards on stopped in front of my house. The sole occupant was looking at my house and writing on a clipboard, and just as I looked out my front door window to get a closer look he shined a light at the house (I'm guessing to see the address). The light startled me; I ran upstairs to my room (no lights on in the house anywhere at this point) to look out from there. At this point he'd moved on to the next house on the street, and was doing the same thing, writing on the clipboard and shining a light at the house, this time with his door open. I very nearly called 911, but as i picked up my phone he drove off and left my street. This seems like a very poor way to stake out a robbery, but I can't think of what else it would be.

I live in a rental house with 4 roommates (3 female 1 male) and myself in a college town (Ann Arbor). As far as I know the house has never been robbed before. I'm going to tell my roommates about this, and make sure that our doors are always locked and that we establish a varied schedule so that it's never for sure that nobody is home/everybody is in bed, and ideally nobody is home alone after dark. I have a Saiga-12  that I had loaded with buckshot and ready to go when I got to my room, but none of my other roommates are big on guns and I doubt they'd be interested in learning, even after this. Is there anything else we might do to keep the place safe? I'm very worried about my female roommates if something were to happen while I was out.

TL;DR House possibly being staked, what can I do to keep it safe?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
people planning on breaking into your house don't tend to shine lights at your house first.

not sure what that was but doesn't sound like aomeone plotting a robbery.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh, was probably a delivery service verifying addresses.

The paper truck around here comes by about 330/4 and its unmarked like that, normally with hazards on.

Call your local newspaper and ask if it was them.

...But pop a p-mag just in case...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys! There's no local delivered paper here, but it could have been NYT or something, I never considered that. The flashers/flashlight had me wondering too, it seemed like a dumb way to do things, but so is robbing houses, and I couldn't think of what else you'd be doing at 3am.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#5]
hide your dogs, women and female children. You's gonna get raped.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hi GD, I've been a long time lurker and seldom poster, but

That's as far as I got....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, hide yo husband cuz they raping errrybody out here!

Also dibs on whatever is left.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you can run and tell that!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#9]
He's climbing in your windows, snatching your people up
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
All ur base are belong to him.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#11]
If you have to ask....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#12]
no ones asked for pics of the female room mates? you guys are slacking
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:00:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Start looking for him so he don't have to come and confess.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:14:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Go out there and talk to them, with a CCW(maybe two and reloads). Or just call the police.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:25:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:31:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have to admit that I have represented quite a few burglars and a couple of home invaders in my career. I don't remember either them, or the police reports, mentioning clipboards.

Sad that they got a chance to be represented...

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you can run and tell that!
Homeboy!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top