[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What nobody said accounting?

(accounting major here)

The CPA test scares the mess out of me.

I've heard the CPA exam is much harder than the bar exam.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. My dad is a lawyer and my great uncle owns his own accounting firm. Certainly not easy. That said, putting rapists, murders and ruthless Mexican drug dealers behind bars sounds much more appealing than public accounting.

But you can always get the best of both worlds and become an FBI forensic accountant.

Accounting with guns....mmmm.......

Yep, the wifey will be have her forensic accounting masters one day soon. She is not looking to be an agent, but several agencies emply them especially DOJ and DEA.

The field is mainly split into litigation support, and investigations.

There is no way in hell I could get through some of those classes. I was near suicidal/homicidal after acct I and II in college.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Engineering
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If we aren't considering the fact that most students who graduate have no real world experience, then most degrees do, except liberal arts.  I would say CIS / MIS at my university.  Thats what I do, except I have always held a job throughout school.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I was a journeyman in a trade before I finished school.

BTW, engineers and doctors both tend to know nothing about anything but work and whatever hobbies they have. Engage them on philosophy or history next time you see one, you will be rather unenlightened, in all likelihood. I'm not at all opposed to engineering or medicine, it's a criticism of the idea that one only needs a vocational education, which I find to be a ridiculous idea for a university graduate.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was a journeyman in a trade before I finished school.

BTW, engineers and doctors both tend to know nothing about anything but work and whatever hobbies they have. Engage them on philosophy or history next time you see one, you will be rather unenlightened, in all likelihood. I'm not at all opposed to engineering or medicine, it's a criticism of the idea that one only needs a vocational education, which I find to be a ridiculous idea for a university graduate.

I can attest to this. I espouse the wonders of classical liberalism, but that's about it. That said, I'm am pretty much a worthless, good for nothing, piece of shit liberal arts major (economics).

But I'm better at math than the rest of the non math, hard science or engineering majors. I hope that counts for something.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Round Two!

Whatever the degree, they got to know how to use computers......but just what that means these days, I'm not sure.

In the 90's, we "laughed" at so many students who couldn't use them, gave up on them, because it came so easy to us, we were the kind of people that others would PAY to use the computer for them.

But in this century, I would say that attitude has passed. People know how to use the Net though they may not comprehend the kind of information they get; people know how to use word processors. Do they need to know past that?

Maybe yes, maybe no. My world involves a lot of Geographical Information Systems and if you don't understand basic programming while not being a programmer (a lot of visual basic here)........you're dead meat to someone who does, who can use the computer to find and process answers past just typing in a key word.

But what if your work doesn't involve such packages; do you really need to know how to do things like that? I would still say yes because in just about everything, we use the computer to find answers. You need to know how to ask the question in many different forms, not just one..........but I am talking from the stand point of someone in this world, not on the out side.

Something I learned 30 years ago: if you control the computer, you can run the show. While the use of the computer may have changed, I still believe that is valid.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(accounting major here)

Yeah, that's what I've heard. My dad is a lawyer and my great uncle owns his own accounting firm. Certainly not easy. That said, putting rapists, murders and ruthless Mexican drug dealers behind bars sounds much more appealing than public accounting.

But you can always get the best of both worlds and become an FBI forensic accountant.

Accounting with guns....mmmm.......

Yep, the wifey will be have her forensic accounting masters one day soon. She is not looking to be an agent, but several agencies emply them especially DOJ and DEA.

The field is mainly split into litigation support, and investigations.

There is no way in hell I could get through some of those classes. I was near suicidal/homicidal after acct I and II in college.

I'm in Advanced Accounting and Auditing right now.

I suppose my saving grace is after class I get to go write tickets and chase down the occasional doper and give a beatdown every once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:52:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I work with a lot of PhDs, and don't get me wrong they know their shit and know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to what they know. But I also find that getting your PhD is a license to loose all common sense and logical though processes
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#11]
As far as undergraduate degrees go, all other things equal, I tend to think more highly of people with a degree in a natural science (biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, actual Earth sciences like geology or oceanography, and throw in math even though it's not technically a nat. sci.) followed by most kinds of engineering.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:28:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I can say that when you say"Geological Engineering" you tend to get alot of respect. I always looked up to theoretical physics and math majors myself.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:33:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My dad calls that major "pre-unemployment."

This is the crux.  Basically, a degree is valuable if it leads directly to a job path, and a valuable degree gets respect.

Wouldn't fuckin' know it with how kids behave though.  They're just in school to putz around.  My high school class is littered with useless arts degrees.  Just today I saw some kid at a state school for his JD (actually a very good state school) bitching about how he won't be able to get a biglaw job from a state school.  As if his Ivy philosophy degree was really a good setup for any meaningful career.  What a fag.  I really hope more people start to see the world through our lens - substance over pedigree.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is the crux.  Basically, a degree is valuable if it leads directly to a job path, and a valuable degree gets respect.

Wouldn't fuckin' know it with how kids behave though.  They're just in school to putz around.  My high school class is littered with useless arts degrees.  Just today I saw some kid at a state school for his JD (actually a very good state school) bitching about how he won't be able to get a biglaw job from a state school.  As if his Ivy philosophy degree was really a good setup for any meaningful career.  What a fag.  I really hope more people start to see the world through our lens - substance over pedigree.

Well, he might, might be half right. The catch is, it might not matter, anyhow. My brother went after the lawyer thing, expecting big bucks, but what he failed to appreciate was that for the median salary that was being reported for what lawyers made, there a few guys with the big bucks ........................and a lot of little guys with the small bucks and most lawyers......are those small guys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:55:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't care what the label says, cant the dog hunt?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife is a well published PhD in Anthropology. She is a research professsor who works with ancient bones from around the world. Just brought home bone samples from the smithsonian. Very respected in her field.  only a couple people do isotope chemistry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(accounting major here)

Putting people in jail gets old.

Making money does not.  At least I sure as hell am going to try and see if it is so.

If you would have invested in gold and silver when I told you to......you would be retired now.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:23:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

At my university, Nursing.

Its the toughest degree with the highest chance of professional employment.

ETA: I have alot of respect for the physics, engineering, mathematics and chemistry majors. All are difficult programs.

I am intrigued. I am a Nurse Anesthetist and I trained in Ct. Where are you going to school?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#19]
The only other 2 I could think to add would be Architecture and Logistics/Supply Chain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:35:21 AM EDT
[#20]
none of them....just a piece  of paper...I respect people who can do the job.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Physics

M.D.

ChemE

MechE

EE

Math but unless you're frigging batshit, don't go there.

CS
That's about it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:40:03 AM EDT
[#22]
MD

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Out of the widely available undergrad degrees, nursing and engineering are two of the toughest and can lead directly to employment in their fields performing real work. My bio (pre-med) undergrad degree qualified me to work as an off-the-street-hire lab tech at about minimum wage. It was also not that difficult. The nursing bachelors, on the other hand, is something I equate to 4 years of intellectual and psychologicall  basic military training. Grueling hours, horrible stress, and I wrote more pages, did more homework, and studied longer in one year of nursing school than in all 4 of biology combined. Not to mention that a 74.9 is a failing grade and there is a 3.25 minimum overall GPA in effect at all times (schools vary, but most have pretty stringent requirements). We also had a dozen or so "do or die" exams––even if you were carrying a 4.0 in the class, if you blew one of these practical exams with an 80% or less (there were 2 that were 100% or fail with one retry allowed), then you were done. We actually had a student in my class "fail" out of school with final grade of an A in the class because of this.

It was harsh, but it also needs to be. It's probably the only degree where, starting in the sophomore year, you get placed in positions of administering dangerous medications and being responsible for detecting life threatening events (and doing the correct thing when it happens).

In the real world, firefighters and nurses usually alternate as the "most trusted/respected professions in America".

Of advanced degrees, vet school is the hardest to get into and survive. Way more competitive than medical school.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#24]
From such a wildly vague question, you guys have pulled a lot of things right out of your collective asses.

"Which college degrees garner the most respect? "

Respect is defined by the audience, and the OP did not clarify 'to whom' or 'for whom' this 'respect' was to be conferred.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#25]
None of them to me....

It's what the person does with the degree after the earn it. Sure civil engineer is a pot easier to get than an Md but if the civil engineer gets a loan, takes a risk, starts his own business from scratch and becomes a billionaire then I would respect him more than a doctor who just shoots botox in old ladies and does crappy tit jobs on c grade strippers.....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:04:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From such a wildly vague question, you guys have pulled a lot of things right out of your collective asses.

Respect is defined by the audience, and the OP did not clarify 'to whom' or 'for whom' this 'respect' was to be conferred.

TRG

TRG nailed it on the head.  When it comes to respect, he knows what he is talking about.  The lack of respect he gets everywhere he goes is a good indicator of what not to do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Engineering, Economics, Medical Research.  Which school matters a lot.

Not for engineering.  Accredited is accredited.

Any engineer that brags about what school they went to is a douche.  I see a lot of that from Drexel, for some reason.  

Though, in their defense, most of the people I meet who brag about being from Drexel didn't major in engineering.  

This is an honest conversation I had just last week:
Him - Well what do you do for a living?
Me - I'm an engineer.
Him - Oh, well I (pronounced "aaaayyeeee") went to Drexel.
Me - ... ... OK, what did you study?
Him - Political science!

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Rangeland Ecology and Management.  You must respect me ! ! ! !
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:21:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Engineering
Pharm-D (pharmacology)
Nanotech
Nursing
Physical Therapy  (sports medicine)

Obama care is going to push many away from MD degrees

MD is a very respectable degree.  Probably the most rounded education available.
I've met quite a few engineers who are now doctors.
I'm a murse and I wouldn't count nursing as deserving more respect.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

(accounting major here)

That's cause the bar exam is a big softball, set up to make the exorbitant tuition justified by how many grads pass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:45:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Out of the widely available undergrad degrees, nursing and engineering are two of the toughest and can lead directly to employment in their fields performing real work. My bio (pre-med) undergrad degree qualified me to work as an off-the-street-hire lab tech at about minimum wage. It was also not that difficult. The nursing bachelors, on the other hand, is something I equate to 4 years of intellectual and psychologicall basic military training. Grueling hours, horrible stress, and I wrote more pages, did more homework, and studied longer in one year of nursing school than in all 4 of biology combined. Not to mention that a 74.9 is a failing grade and there is a 3.25 minimum overall GPA in effect at all times (schools vary, but most have pretty stringent requirements). We also had a dozen or so "do or die" exams––even if you were carrying a 4.0 in the class, if you blew one of these practical exams with an 80% or less (there were 2 that were 100% or fail with one retry allowed), then you were done. We actually had a student in my class "fail" out of school with final grade of an A in the class because of this.

It was harsh, but it also needs to be. It's probably the only degree where, starting in the sophomore year, you get placed in positions of administering dangerous medications and being responsible for detecting life threatening events (and doing the correct thing when it happens).

In the real world, firefighters and nurses usually alternate as the "most trusted/respected professions in America".

Of advanced degrees, vet school is the hardest to get into and survive. Way more competitive than medical school.

I have been in nursing for 20 years. I will say this. I am disappointed in alot of the nurses I see now but many are also very bright and good workers.

The old diploma nurses weren't necessarily bright but were very good clinically.

When I started there were 96 people declared as nursing majors. Four years later 20 people graduated. Many things took a toll. One thing I remember was nearing the end of our first semester of clinical training there were 50 of us left. The instructor got in front of the class and told us..." there are 50 of y'all. The state of Alabama allows each nursing instructor to supervise no more than 10 students in the clinical area (hospital etc. ). There are 4 clinical instructors in Pediatrics and OB (our next semester). Y'all can do the math on that one. I will remind you that test scores are only one component of grading here and one may be academically superb yet fall short in the clinical arena and not advance in this program". And that is what happened. The bottom 10 people academically and clinically were cut despite having passing grades.

I am sure programs vary widely. I see some real moron nurses and some real good ones. I would say nurses might be smarter than when I trained but the newer ones seem to be lazier. I will allow that they are swamped with more paperwork than I was.

MYself?  I respect chemists and physicists as well as pharmacologists.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#32]
MD overall

chemical engineering for undergrad only
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

MD overall

chemical engineering for undergrad only

I think we all are assuming American trained MD. MD from many countries doesn't mean shit.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

(accounting major here)

Putting people in jail gets old.

Making money does not. At least I sure as hell am going to try and see if it is so.

If you would have invested in gold and silver when I told you to......you would be retired now.

I could have made a pretty penny, no doubt.

I did not want to accept the risk.

But then again, it is a good thing I didn't invest in oil when I was told it was going to $200 a barrel.

If I had a time machine however.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:14:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG nailed it on the head.  When it comes to respect, he knows what he is talking about.  The lack of respect he gets everywhere he goes is a good indicator of what not to do.

I'm a regular Rodney Dangerfield.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

Except Rodney was better looking,  got hot chicks and great paydays.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Community Organizer, obviously

I keed...I keed !!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

Don't sell yourself short.  I think you are hot.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

TRG

When you are in the last moments of life, you will realize total enlightenment.  So you've got that going for you too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#40]
MD and engineering.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#41]
At the college I went to radiology and nursing were the hardest to get into.  

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Education does NOT equal intelligence.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

TRG

When you are in the last moments of life, you will realize total enlightenment.  So you've got that going for you too.

Of the five people you will meet in Heaven, I will be three of them.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I met a guy once in a business meeting, who had an MBA from Harvard and ran his own financial services company. After we discussed it for a few minutes he said, "Biggest waste of time in my life. I should have gotten a law degree. I've regretted it for years."
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#44]
History is the best!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#45]
As an engineer, obviously engineering.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#46]
It depends on the one that's giving the respect. Is the person hiring for a job? What school did the hiring manager attend? Did you by chance go to one of the rival schools? There are too many different variables to answer the question.

You might run into someone that prefers grads from BYU or USC... and if you've got something from Florida State you'll receive less respect. It's all subjective, and in the long run, does anyone really care? Is your degree in something that you like to do and are you paid for it to your satisfaction?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#47]
As for the most difficult, I would have to say a B.S. in Physics.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Undergrad?

Hard Sciences.

Graduate+?

Probably Medical
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

TRG

Of the five people you will meet in Heaven, I will be three of them.

TRG

As long as you aren't the Blue Man or Marguerite, I'm cool with that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#50]
MD, then specialize to be a Neuro , Cardiac , or Othopedic surgeon.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top