Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2002 12:58:13 PM EDT
Anyone own and or shot one of these? How do they handle? They feel good in my hand, but I have not shot one. I'm looking at them because of the nice price tag.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
i ahd the pt145, i had problems with the rounds not going off, even with good ammo, taurus said that it was not made for ammo other than winchester or remmington, but it happened with that ammo too, nice feel, shoots low at 25 yards, accuracy was good for such a short barrel, it would do for a good carry gun, but the frame broke twice, and the trigger on a friend of mine's gun broke off, after his frame was repaired, i will wait now for the improved verion which i am sure they will make, mine is sold now...
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sucked, broke after less than 50 rounds. trigger pull sucked, accuracy sucked, reliability was ok though. Whatever broke on it, they fixed it for free though. IMHO Taurus makes great revolvers but not autos.
Mike
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
whenit comes to taurus, stick to revolvers, they haven't figured out autos yet.
for the same type of gun,but better quality check out kahr arms 9mm and .40s
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen two 945's and two 911's frames break. I hate the junk Taurus puts out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
A good friend of mine got a PT140 (.40 cal. Taurus Milleneum) and on Saturday we put about 150 rounds through it. Worked very well. He really wanted a Glock or a Walther but the extra $200-$300 just wasn't there. It felt very nice in the hand. Very long and stiff trigger pull. It was also accurate when one really tried to keep the sights lined up dispite the 10-15 pound trigger pull. There were two failures to feed, but they were both when my friend was shooting and he was limp wristing. This was his first gun purchase of any kind. I think for the price range it is a fine weapon for light duty, and Taurus has a good warranty if it's ever needed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had a Kahr K9 for about 3 years.  I like it.  Reliable and ergonomic.  A bit heavy, but I carry it IWB, so don't notice that.  The weight is nice when shooting, though.

Don't know if I'd call it cheap, though, unless the prices have come down.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't exactly call a Kahr a [b]cheap[/b] CCW weapon. [:D]

Still, I know a few people that carry them, and they LOVE the things.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Kahr cheap?  For the price of a K9, you could buy two Kel-Tec's, maybe put together one working gun, and have spare parts left over.z
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We are looking for a few good handgunners
[url]http://handguns.ar15.com/forums/index.html[/url]
View Quote

I swear, the only thing that KEEPS me from going to handguns.ar15.com is that annoying ad that someone inserts into every thread that involves a handgun.  Have you guys ever heard of the soft sell? :)

Maybe respond with "You know what, we just talked about this last week, here's the URL to the thread" or something similar? [:D]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got quite a few handguns, but the one that I always seem to be carrying is my Kel-Tec .40 cal.

It's black with a hard chrome slide, and has the nice belt clip attached to the right side.

It's just damn easy to carry and with 10 rounds....I never feel outgunned.

It did take a little work by REALERIC to make it fully reliable, but he carries the Kel-Tec 9mm just the way it came in the box - without any fine-tuning.

BTW, Kel-Tec has dropped the .40 cal from its catalog.

That should tell you something.

Eric The(ButICarryMineAnyway!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are looking for a few good handgunners
[url]http://handguns.ar15.com/forums/index.html[/url]
View Quote

I swear, the only thing that KEEPS me from going to handguns.ar15.com is that annoying ad that someone inserts into every thread that involves a handgun.  Have you guys ever heard of the soft sell? :)

Maybe respond with "You know what, we just talked about this last week, here's the URL to the thread" or something similar? [:D]
View Quote

yeah, same here.
christ it's annoying, they get commission or something?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
NO, we of the Handgun Forums do not get commission, we have merely gathered a group of experts to help you with handgun questions there.
And the small signature messages have not been sufficiently annoying to get you to post in the correct areas yet, now have they? [;)]
Now quit your bitching, and come on over to where we can assist you, ya big lug!
[:D]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#16]
ERIC i have a p-40 as well and its all i carry in the summer!   That they have dropped it from their line, is this good or bad news?   bob cole
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want a cheap CCW, get a revolver for reliability reasons. The main reason for a CCW is for defense, so you don't want to buy some cheap gun that's going to fail when you need it most. How much are you wanting to spend ? I've put over 6000 rounds through my Glock 22 with one misfeed due to faulty ammo. I've also had good luck with my SIG P220, but they're more expensive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Eric,

I have a Kel-Tec 9mm with night sights, belt clip, hogue grip, finger extension, polished feed ramp, wide trigger, trigger job, etc... and I carry it a lot even though I like a bigger round.  I got it used like it is for $200.00 at a gun show with no papers, gotta love that!

Also another great carry gun is the Witness P-45.  It is compact, carries 8+1 or 10+1 depending on the mag you pic and is Italian made, right down the road from HK and Beretta.  In my opinion it is a great gun.  I have fired about 1500 rounds out of mine without a problem.  The best thing about it is they are not that expensive.

Or you can go with an Interarms Star .45.  Had one in .40 cal. that was nickel but traded it because the recoil sucked!  The same reason that Kel-Tec has taken the .40 off their list, kicks like a son of a gun!  Way to much round for such a little gun!

Anyway, that is my two cents.  I would stay away from Taurus Autos.  They make very good quality revolvers.  I have several.  They make a blue .38 with rosewood grips, ported, and gold trim for about $280.00.  I shot a squirrel at about 30 yards with mine.  I love a Taurus Revolver.

Joe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top