Posted: 9/13/2010 5:00:04 PM EDT
I understand that the Marines consider once a marine always a Marine

But what about the other branches?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:00:42 PM EDT
Many Soldiers are never Soldiers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:02:49 PM EDT
First post nails it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:05:09 PM EDT
once an Airman, always sitting in a chair...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:05:59 PM EDT
old sailors never die, they just drop anchor.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:06:03 PM EDT
Marines
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:06:18 PM EDT
What if a Marine defects to North Korea?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:07:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sylvan:
Many Soldiers are never Soldiers.

This.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bugalaman:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:40 PM EDT
It's a Marine thing. Marines are conditioned from day one to be fiercly loyal to the Corps. We are taught to look at the Corps as a family that we are accepted into upon earning the title of Marine. The history of the Corps becomes our family history. Dan Daly, Chesty Puller, Pappy Boyington, etc. are my brothers. You don't turn your back on brothers like that. Like any family, we don't always get along, or agree on things. We have our black sheep. We mess with each other. We don't allow anyone to mess with us.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

The Marines have a PR campain second only to the Soviet Union.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:19:31 PM EDT
Once your out...your a veteran, thats it........
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:20:46 PM EDT
I dunno about .mil, but in commercial fishing it's "Once a skipper always an asshole."
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 5:21:21 PM EDT by TerribleTom]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:25:31 PM EDT

Hey! Fuck you!

There are occasions that we have to get up to get fresh batteries for our remote controls...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:26:49 PM EDT
Been out of the Corps for about 5 years now.
If I got into a bar brawl at the Tunn Tavern
I know that some Devildog would back me up.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:29:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:
It's a Marine thing. Marines are conditioned from day one to be fiercly loyal to the Corps. We are taught to look at the Corps as a family that we are accepted into upon earning the title of Marine. The history of the Corps becomes our family history. Dan Daly, Chesty Puller, Pappy Boyington, etc. are my brothers. You don't turn your back on brothers like that. Like any family, we don't always get along, or agree on things. We have our black sheep. We mess with each other. We don't allow anyone to mess with us.

This. I've actually reconnected with quite a few of the folks I served with via Facebook. Door is always open to them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:33:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ZombieKiller556:

Lets do this
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:34:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RevDeadCorpse:

This. I've actually reconnected with quite a few of the folks I served with via Facebook. Door is always open to them.

Exactly. Even though I don't know you my door is open to you as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 5:36:32 PM EDT by CWO]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:37:41 PM EDT

This about sums it up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:39:17 PM EDT
Air Force - Once you get out, congratulations––you survived the bullshit. Now go do something constructive for a change.

(still in, only reupped so my wife can have my MGIB since TA is finishing my degree for free)
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:44:32 PM EDT

Remember,

The Air Force is a corporation,
The Navy is a club,
The Army is a gang,
The Marines are a cult.

This isn't a slam on anyone's service, just a reflection of the service cultures.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:49:36 PM EDT
BIL was a Marine, and I work with all branches of service.

Nail on the head, good sir.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:55:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By lcplblazer:

Lets do this

It's on!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:04:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Steelblitz:

Lets do this

It's on!

Screw it, I'm in, which side am I on?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:05:11 PM EDT
One thing that always bugged me, and I did nine years active duty in the Marines, is when Marines say, "there are o ex-Marines, only former Marines..." In this context, "ex" and "former" mean exactly the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:08:51 PM EDT
when my contract expires ill have been a soldier.

i think its just the mentality that stays. a marine with a discharge isint anymore a marine than the guy walking down the street.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:09:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:10:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Steelblitz:

Lets do this

It's on!

let'sgo!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:10:42 PM EDT

I used to work with a former airman, and he even referred to the Airforce as the "Chairforce".
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:12:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
One thing that always bugged me, and I did nine years active duty in the Marines, is when Marines say, "there are o ex-Marines, only former Marines..." In this context, "ex" and "former" mean exactly the same thing.

it's just a spoken thing bro, it just sounds better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:15:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hitman77:

I used to work with a former airman, and he even referred to the Airforce as the "Chairforce".

When I was thinking about the possibility of being a USAF officer our retired USAF Colonel neighbor said the best career advice he could give me was to learn golf.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:19:16 PM EDT

And ex just sounds bad.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:26:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 6:30:57 PM EDT by Tim_the_enchanter]

I never made a distinction between the two either. To each his own. I don't get offened if someone refers to me as an ex Marine. Regardless of my official status, I remain a Marine. In spite of the fact that I was also once a soldier in the Army National Guard, I remain a Marine. I served for 4 years, but I joined for life. Once a Marine, always a Marine. I don't advertise it. I don't live it. You wouldn't know it to meet me. I don't wear it on my sleeve. I wear it right where they put it, inside of me. If you've never been a Marine, you will never understand it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:27:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CWO:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/military-sucks.jpg

Don't forget the navy
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:43:19 PM EDT
So a marine that has a dishonorable discharge is still a marine... I'll go with marine PR and Pravda for $500 Alex.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:35 PM EDT
For the Coast Guard and Navy, "Once a Chief, always a Chief." As a Chief, even a retired Chief, my ID card and coin gains me entrance to any Chiefs Mess anywhere in the world. Once inside the Mess there will be...................... Oh wait, cant let out any secrets to the non-Chiefs
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RockSix:
So a marine that has a dishonorable discharge is still a marine... I'll go with marine PR and Pravda for $500 Alex.

In '03 after I got back my dad took me to a driving range to hit some balls. This guy wearing a Marine Corps hat behind us saw my tattoo and started talking to us.

He was kicked out in the '70s but didn't blame the Corps at all. He said that even though he messed up, being in the Marines was the best thing that he ever did.

It's a way of life, the dude was kicked out and still looked squared away 40 years later.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:58:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By von_landstuhl:

Originally Posted By Mr_Harry:

The Marines have a PR campain second only to the Soviet Union.

That PR was earned in places like Belleau Wood, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, The Chosin Reservoir, Hue City, Khe Sahn, Fallujah, and elsewhere…

I’m not taking anything away from any other branch of service….but we earned it.

Having said that, you just reminded me of the one and only clean military joke I know.

A Full Admiral, a Four Star General of the Army, and a Four Star General of the Air Force were all killed in a car wreck. The woke to find themselves standing outside the Gates of Heaven standing in front of St Peter.

They were a bit confused to say the least. The looked around, and realized what had happened, walked towards St Peter and the Pearly Gates. St Peter stopped them and said:

“I’m sorry, you’ll have to wait. There’s no room right now.”

They were annoyed since they had gotten used to not waiting for things due to their high rank. The Admiral spoke up and said indignantly , “Do you know who we are? We shouldn’t have to wait in line to get into Heaven!”

St Peter replied, ”Yes I know who you are and what you did back on earth. You’ll still have to wait. Go stand over there.” St Peter pointed to a spot several yards from the front of the gate and looked back at his list.

The 3 recognized a dismissal when they saw one. They didn’t like it, but there really wasn’t much they could do about it.

After a bit, they lit up some cigars and began smoking and quietly discussing the situation.

Every so often one of the three would look up at St Peter to see if it was time to go in yet. St Peter would always shake his head “No” and go back to his list.

After 30 minutes of waiting, they were getting pretty annoyed, but St Peter would not let them in.

Suddenly, a Marine Lance Corporal in Dress Blues appeared and strode toward the gate. The two Generals and the Admiral watched amused, waiting for St Peter to tell him to wait as well.

To their amazement, St Peter frantically dropped his list and almost tripped over his feet racing to the gate to let the Lance Corporal in. St Peter got the gate open just fast enough to prevent the Marine from breaking his stride. As he passed St Peter, he gave him a friendly wave and walked into Heaven.

St Peter let out a sigh of relief and closed the gates behind the Marine.

The two Generals and the Admiral were incensed. They had waited all this time, and an enlisted Marine strode into Heaven like he owned the place!

The rushed over to St Peter to complain.

The Army Four Star said “Hey St Peter, What was THAT all about? Who does that Marine think he is, God?!!!!”

St Peter replied, “No that’s God. He thinks he’s a Marine.”

Nick
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:13:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
For the Coast Guard and Navy, "Once a Chief, always a Chief." As a Chief, even a retired Chief, my ID card and coin gains me entrance to any Chiefs Mess anywhere in the world. Once inside the Mess there will be...................... Oh wait, cant let out any secrets to the non-Chiefs

Good save Chief!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:17:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 161Infantry:
Once your out...your a veteran, thats it........

Yup. Easily replaced by the next guy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:25:15 PM EDT

I never made a distinction between the two either. To each his own. I don't get offened if someone refers to me as an ex Marine. Regardless of my official status, I remain a Marine. In spite of the fact that I was also once a soldier in the Army National Guard, I remain a Marine. I served for 4 years, but I joined for life. Once a Marine, always a Marine. I don't advertise it. I don't live it. You wouldn't know it to meet me. I don't wear it on my sleeve. I wear it right where they put it, inside of me. If you've never been a Marine, you will never understand it.

Very well put.

I would disagree with you regarding not living it...I would say that you've incorporated the intangible parts of being a Marine, (and a Soldier), and made them a part of yourself and who you are. So you are "Living it."

Here on Arf.com is the only place that I make any outward show of having been in the Corps, (avatar). I loved my time in the Corps, (okay, not all of it...alot of it flat out sucked. But I still enjoyed what I did, and who I did it with, and for. I would not hesitate to do it over again, or to tell others about my experiances in the Corps.) but I cant stand the people who did 4 years in the Corps some 20/30/40 years ago, and its all they talk about now and everything they wear has some sort of Jarhead slogan or emblem on it. IMO, its no different than the High School varsity football hero who is stuck in the past reliving his glory days and boring everyone within earshot with "war stories".

I truly enjoyed my 4 years in the Corps. But it's not the only thing in this world that I've done that I'm proud of, and my life didnt cease to have meaning after I got out. Joining the Marine Corps infantry at 19 years old was a defining moment in my life. But it wasnt the ONLY defining moment of my life. For some guys, I'm not so sure that's the case...

I've never really cared one way or another if I was referred to as an Ex-Marine or as Former Marine. But I'm fully aware of the fact that I could quite being a police officer and become an insurance salesman or an accountant, etc....go bugfuck nuts and go ona killing spree while wearing tiger print thong and a nipple ring, and the headlines would read "Ex Marine/Cop goes nuts. Kills people while touching himself". Nobody would ever hear of me being an accountant or salesman…

Nick
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:32:21 PM EDT
Once a sailor, always a salty dog
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:36:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 9:37:02 PM EDT by Monoz]
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
What if a Marine defects to North Korea?

Then he's a Marine chasing North Korean tail?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:39:51 PM EDT
You know how to tell someone was once in the Marines?.....1. He will tell you...usually within the 1st minutes of any conversation and 2. atleast 2 pieces of USMC flair on their car, sticker+lic plate trim, or two stickers....etc...just saying...........oh and the phrase all Marines are riflemen if they arnt an 0300 series will be used atleast once...........
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:42:55 PM EDT
My loyalties are to the constitution and the Corps. If another branch wants to adopt the "Once a ______ always a_____" mantra that's their business. It's not necessaraly a Marine Corps trademark. I figure the more Esprit de Corps in other branches, the better.

I also go out of my way to capitalize the first letter of each respective branch, as I appreciate it when other service persons do the same for Marines.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:17:19 AM EDT

Well said!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:42:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Moose:

Hey! Fuck you!

There are occasions that we have to get up to get fresh batteries for our remote controls...

and the free popcorn/hot cocoa
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:56:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SkilletsUSMC:
My loyalties are to the constitution and the Corps. If another branch wants to adopt the "Once a ______ always a_____" mantra that's their business. It's not necessaraly a Marine Corps trademark. I figure the more Esprit de Corps in other branches, the better.

I also go out of my way to capitalize the first letter of each respective branch, as I appreciate it when other service persons do the same for Marines.

I find Marines are more of a brotherhood (a cult is actually probably a pretty good way to describe it) than other branches.

ever go out to a bar with some buddies - and you find out there's another Marine there - suddenly you two are BSing all night and your buddies are standing there wondering what the hell happened.

not saying other people don't do this- but it seems to happen more with Marines
Top Top