Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/13/2010 2:35:22 PM EDT
What the fuck am I doing wrong? I'm keeping upbeat, not beating her when she pisses or shits inside, I do have a "Spanky Stick" which is a rolled up newspaper.

When she poops or pisses, I grab her real quick and run her outside and put her in the grass.

She has a crate and she does not potty in it, so far.

This is a 15 week old Coonhound puppy that is just more stubborn than a fucking mule.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:35:52 PM EDT
Tannerite?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:38:40 PM EDT
Knew someone on here used an airsoft pistol to train their pups.

Not sure how it worked, but it was pretty damn entertaining watching the shitstorm on here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:41:34 PM EDT
How many times have you rewarded her for pissing in the yard?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:42:17 PM EDT
take her outside more
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:42:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xylo:

I take her little training treats outside and give them to her. Not 100% of the time and I just realized this when I read your reply.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:43:04 PM EDT

this

and take it outside right after it wakes up, and right after eating.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:44:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 2:57:52 PM EDT by TinLeg]
When Crate Training, and inside.

Either the pup is in the crate, or you are hovering over her ALL THE TIME.

Put her in the crate. When she whines, take her outside (on a leash) to wherever you want her to go to the bathroom.

Say your command "Take a dump, dumby."

If she urinates or defecates, give her a treat then immediately lead her away from the area. Allow a little play time indoors (again, HOVER over her, literally), then put her back in the crate.

If she DOES NOT urinate or defecate, ignore her and lead her back to her crate. When she whines again, repeat.

Every time she goes to the bathroom inside you lose a ton of ground. Make sure she no longer goes inside. Keep her in your shirt as you walk around if you have to.

It's a PITA, especially at night but it works. Done properly, it shouldn't take long before she learns to go to the bathroom on command.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:45:30 PM EDT
Mine didnt like being scolded when messing in the house. They realized pretty quick that it wasnt allowed.

I guess when you are 10lbs, and you have a 6ft 200lb floor shaking wildman running towards you yelling "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!111!1", while you are squatting to drop a duece, It gets the point across fairly quick.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:56:41 PM EDT
Take your dog out on leash to the area you want them to do it every 3-4 hours, or whenever you think they need to (If possible) and wait for them to do it. When he/she goes, reward and say Good Dog to _____ Potty, Pee, Piss, whatever. Associate the place the treat the action and the word all at once. Worked for our Austrian Pinscher.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 2:59:03 PM EDT by angus6]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:
When Crate Training, and inside.

Either the pup is in the crate, or you are hovering over her ALL THE TIME.

Put her in the crate. When she whines, take her outside (on a leash) to wherever you want her to go to the bathroom.

Say your command "Take a dump, dumby."

If she urinates or defecates, give her a treat then immediately lead her away from the area. Allow a little play time indoors (again, HOVER over her, literally), then put her back in the crate.

If she DOES NOT urinate or defecate, ignore her and lead her back to her crate. When she whines again, repeat.

It's a PITA, especially at night but it works. Done properly, it shouldn't take long before she learns to go to the bathroom on command.

And a trip outside atleast every 2 hrs. during the day. Angus had 2 messes , was 10weeks old when we got him , Jr didn't do near as good had 6 messes and was 8 weeks old when we got her. Wife swears Jr will be the last puppy , but I know better

Oh and wheres the pic ?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:03:08 PM EDT
At night make sure her crate is close enough where you can hear her whining. It's annoying as fuck. But better to get up 10 times during the night then have her go in her crate.

Also, it's important the crate be just big enough for her to turn around in. Their instinct is to NOT go to the bathroom where they sleep. If the crate is too large, she'll piss or shit in one corner and sleep in the other.

The wire mesh crates usually come with a divider so you can size it properly as they grow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:03:41 PM EDT
We always put a new puppy outside a lot when training them, maybe 10 or more times a day and reward them for going outside with praise and a treat and keep a close eye on them when they are inside and smack them with a rolled up paper and/ or rub their nose in it if they go inside and then put them outside immediately, they seem to catch on pretty quick
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:05:28 PM EDT
generally agree with whats been posted so far.

Reward her every time she successfully goes outside.
A stern "no!" if you catch her going inside and then immediately running her outside and then praising/ treat if she finishes outside.
The dog should be at your side all the time when out of the kennel. You can keep her on a leash tied to you.

Take her outside when:
She comes out of kennel
Wakes up from long nap
Plays hard
Eats/ Drinks
And some suggest if the dog is sniffing around alot. (That may be hard since its a hound)

Eventually you will want to teach her to sit at the door when she needs to go. I think my dog just figured that out as she got older (I always have her sit before I put the leash on her at the door)

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:05:55 PM EDT
I kept a log of when my pup ate, drank, pee'd or pooped. You'll figure out a pattern quick. She'll get it, just be patient and if she starts going in her crate consider taking her to the vet to check for any kind of UTI.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:06:12 PM EDT
My lab just turned one and it took us a good solid month to get her trained.

Constantly took her out every two hours to do her business. When she went outside she got praised and a treat with a "good girl" in a happy pitch toned right away. If she had an accident she got a stern "no!" and immediately took her outside.

She was potty trained din a month.

Goodluck, stay at it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:06:34 PM EDT
I seconded the motion, take them out when they wake up and about 20 minutes after they eat.We are on day 5 with a 8 week old English Setter and 4 accidents in those 5 days . Today being none.Taker her outside and say you got to go poopy doo honey and she does. Going 5 hours at night and wakes you by kissing your face. Right now she is sound asleep next to me. What an incredible bird dog as she is already pointing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:07:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bradinator:

Eventually you will want to teach her to sit at the door when she needs to go. I think my dog just figured that out as she got older (I always have her sit before I put the leash on her at the door)

Hang a bell off the doorknob. Every time you take her outside, move her paw and smack the bell. Eventually she'll learn that ringing that bell means she'll get to go outside.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:10:37 PM EDT
I'm walking out the door from work. I will read the rest of these when I get home

In the mean time, here is a quick pic I took yesterday

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:14:52 PM EDT
My dogs have all been easy, take them out of their crate in the morning on leash and show they where they should do their business. Give them praise.

They figure it out really quick
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 3:21:10 PM EDT by slanky]

Originally Posted By zuuk:

this

Yup, the key is in timing and repetition and rewarding good behavior. She'll learn eventually, just takes time. Crate training is a big help when housebreaking.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:27:32 PM EDT
Just stick her nose in it

Actually you want to praise the heck out of her when she gets it Right
and just clean it up when she gets it wrong

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:33:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zuuk:

this

Being proactive is a good thing. Take them out regularly so they don't need to go inside. Be stern when you do catch them, but don't get to physical. Rushing them out quickly while telling them no works well enough. It will catch on soon enough.

Also, all dogs are different. My last dog who was very intiligent took well over 6 months. My current dog only pooped in the house once and pissed 3 times. He's a year now and I trust him completely.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 3:45:25 PM EDT by Kharn]
Go outside whenever she:
Wakes
Eats
Drinks
Does substantial activity, aka anything more active than sleeping, even if its just blundering around the room, for thirty minutes
Cries/whines

As soon as she's stopped peeing your teachable moment is over, no point yelling. Try dropping a few pennies in a plastic soda bottle, if she's outside your reach you can throw the bottle near her to scare her.

If you still have problems in 2-3 days, put the dog on the leash and tie the leash to your belt so she's always within 6' of you and carry about your normal business. At that point, you'll pick up her signs easily and she'll learn how to get your attention.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:43:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 3:44:34 PM EDT by NoRegrets]
I've never been a big fan of hitting an animal. I've had my puppy for 3 weeks now and he pissed once in front of me. I whipped his ass and that was the end of that. He now goes to the back door.

We do take him out a lot and give him a treat and praise every time he goes outside though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:45:23 PM EDT

This...you have to reward them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:45:30 PM EDT
When she poops again and you see her do it. Pick it up with a paper towel and take her and the poop outside and make her sniff it outside. Do it until she gets it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:54:47 PM EDT
Have you thought of contingent shock therapy?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:57:08 PM EDT
Trained 3 lab pups so far. Every one was a breeze to house train if you just consistently keep your eye on them and figure out their tells(when they are searching for a place to go). That is except for the most recent one (first male). Turns out it was some meds we had him on for a parasite he picked up. Made him have to go like every 10 minutes it seemed. Took some extra close attention for about a week but then was good once off the meds. Is your pup taking any meds in particular that could be causing a lack of control. Honestly it sounds like you just need to be more consistent but I thought I'd throw this out there in case.

On a side note this last pup we starting training more seriously way earlier than our last. Pup could sit, stay, and lie down consistently after 4 days. Got him at 8 weeks. Dogs are fuckin great. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:08:25 PM EDT
Don't "rub their noses in it" or any of that crap. Watch, you'll see them walking around looking for a good place to squat. Outside right away.

Praise for doing it right. Scolding for mistakes. Scold, not beat the crap out of. A few scolding words to a dog and their world has come to an end.

In the end, if your dog loves you, he'll lay down his life for you, your wife, your kids.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:16:50 PM EDT
Your dog is still young but you two will figure it out when she needs to go outside. You will sense when she needs to go which is usually shortly after she eats then after that reward her when she is done. Be patient with your dog, they are knuckleheads and require repetition to get it right. Before too long, the both of you will develop your own form of communication and you will be in synch with each other and you won't have to guess when the right time is.
Top Top