Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 12:33:42 PM EDT
The bad news is some wanker got my fucking debit card number and charged a bunch of shit to some dating websites and iTunes to the tune of almost $500. I have never used a dating website nor have I ever used iTunes. Don't know who got my information exactly but I've got a suspicion that it got taken when I paid for my CPR course online because I didn't have any problems until almost immediately after that.

Match.com fixed my problem automatically and gave me around $300 back. I don't even know how you'd charge $300 to a dating website. iTunes has the rest of my money, they haven't responded yet. The bank said Apple is usually good about this kind of thing. One of the places charged doesn't have any contact information so I'm out about $27 indefinitely, the bank might refund that in the end. So right now I'm out about $200. My card has been cancelled so I shouldn't have any more charges pop up. Now I have to write a letter to the bank once they reply.

The good news is I'm a debt free man. After this happened I decided to just about wipe out the rest of my accounts. If I don't have alot of money, they can't steal it right? I paid off my only credit card 100% and more importantly I paid off my car completely and closed my loan account! Finally paid it off in less than a year, 2 years ahead of schedule and I'm going to drive it until it dies. I own my car and don't owe anybody anything financially. The bank is going to mail me the title and the paperwork stating I've paid everything off. I've still got a few hundred bucks left, some cash in my pocket and the credit card just in case. Its a good feeling.

Guess I'm just posting this as a warning to be careful where you use your credit and debit cards because shit happens and I got lucky...this time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm working on a reply. In the meantime, I need the last 4 digits of your Social Security number, for security purposes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The bad news is some wanker got my fucking debit card number and charged a bunch of shit to some dating websites and iTunes to the tune of almost $500. I have never used a dating website nor have I ever used iTunes. Don't know who got my information exactly but I've got a suspicion that it got taken when I paid for my CPR course online because I didn't have any problems until almost immediately after that.

Match.com fixed my problem automatically and gave me around $300 back. I don't even know how you'd charge $300 to a dating website. iTunes has the rest of my money, they haven't responded yet. The bank said Apple is usually good about this kind of thing. One of the places charged doesn't have any contact information so I'm out about $27 indefinitely, the bank might refund that in the end. So right now I'm out about $200. My card has been cancelled so I shouldn't have any more charges pop up. Now I have to write a letter to the bank once they reply.

The good news is I'm a debt free man. After this happened I decided to just about wipe out the rest of my accounts. If I don't have alot of money, they can't steal it right? I paid off my only credit card 100% and more importantly I paid off my car completely and closed my loan account! Finally paid it off in less than a year, 2 years ahead of schedule and I'm going to drive it until it dies. I own my car and don't owe anybody anything financially. The bank is going to mail me the title and the paperwork stating I've paid everything off. I've still got a few hundred bucks left, some cash in my pocket and the credit card just in case. Its a good feeling.

Guess I'm just posting this as a warning to be careful where you use your credit and debit cards because shit happens and I got lucky...this time.

Way to see a silver lining man.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
dood I have great news.. I got soem dude CC number and get me $500 worth of Itunes!

Man Im haveing a great day!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

dood I have great news.. I got soem dude CC number and get me $500 worth of Itunes!

Motherfucker!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Motherfucker!

want me to burn ya an image and send it to ya?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You forgot to add, "but now i can't get laid, f'ing match account got closed!"

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You forgot to add, "but now i can't get laid, f'ing match account got closed!"

hahhaha ya i was trying to make a fast post.. and forgot that part..
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#8]
That sucks, but at least it will turn out alright. Apple definitely is very good about that, I'm sure you'll get it back.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
CITI Mastercard + "Virtual Credit Card" FTW.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I imagine all the Russian women in trouble that email me for money was what was bought with your $300.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like everything is working out in the end, but...

$300 to a dating site, $200 to iTunes, and...

$27 to?  My curiosity is killing me.  I'm betting it was $27 worth of cat food.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

$27 to? My curiosity is killing me. I'm betting it was $27 worth of cat food.

The bank statement said "AQUARELLE BE AQUARELLE PARIS 17" Usually there is a phone number or website. The only place I've found online is some hotel in France.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Let that be a lesson to you. Don't ever use a debit card except at your bank's ATM machines.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Let that be a lesson to you. Don't ever use a debit card except at your bank's ATM machines.

Thats the plan now.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

$27 to? My curiosity is killing me. I'm betting it was $27 worth of cat food.

The bank statement said "AQUARELLE BE AQUARELLE PARIS 17" Usually there is a phone number or website. The only place I've found online is some hotel in France.

Even weirder...

Hotel Aquarelle - Paris 38, boulevard du Temple - 75011 Paris
Tel: 877-662-6988

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on paying off the CC's and car note.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Was the debit card a visa or just in the bank name?

I won't get a debit card for the reasons that you have stated.  With a CC you can just do a chargeback and they will just take the money back from whoever was paid.  I wondered if a debit was the same.  Also with a CC you don't have to pay the bill if it's not yours.  They can fight over it while your money stays in your pocket.  That said, I haven't carried a balance over in 20 years. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
So i just met a bunch of womenz for free on match.com after i used some dudes cc info i stole... This is awesome!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Was it a debit visa?  Those things suck because they can empty your bank account and all your scheduled payments bounce.  Happened to my wife.  The regular debit cards that require a PIN are much better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Was the debit card a visa or just in the bank name?

I won't get a debit card for the reasons that you have stated. With a CC you can just do a chargeback and they will just take the money back from whoever was paid. I wondered if a debit was the same. Also with a CC you don't have to pay the bill if it's not yours. They can fight over it while your money stays in your pocket. That said, I haven't carried a balance over in 20 years. YMMV

It was a Visa Check Card. As a college student who used to have a low fixed income a debit card was great for big items only but I ended up getting a CC to build credit, for emergencies and items over $500 that I couldn't get with my debit card but had the money for. Everything I charge for on the CC I already have the money to pay for in my bank accounts. Now that I have a better job the debit card was used for  daily purchases because carrying cash is a pain. Now I know better. I'll just deal with going to the bank/using the ATM more often.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Was it a debit visa? Those things suck because they can empty your bank account and all your scheduled payments bounce. Happened to my wife. The regular debit cards that require a PIN are much better.

Yes, its a Visa Check Card. I got lucky, nothing bounced but only because I had enough money in there at the time. Usually I don't.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Get rid of your "cheque card" and get an ATM card. An ATM card cannot be used without the PIN#.

Use only credit cards for online purchases.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Hope you get it all sorted out quick. This is a big reason I never use my debit card except at my bank ATM. Credit Cards all the way for me. Getting 3% back is nice too!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#26]

"I" just bought $500 dollars worth of cigars in fucking Ireland.

Funny how every time my number gets stolen and used it buys something in another country.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
If your credit card number had been stolen instead, you would receive an immediate credit from the card issuer and never have to worry about those charges again.

Dave Ramsey pointed out today that rich people didn't get rich with credit card points, and that credit doesn't build wealth.  He wants you to cancel all of your credit card accounts, lest you be tempted to misuse them, and use a debit card instead.

I would like to point out that rich people got rich by making intelligent financial decisions–– and giving people the magic number to empty your bank account, causing you a bunch of grief in dealing with it, is not a wise financial decision.  Neither is charging up a credit card full of crap you don't need.

Way to go on making yourself debt-free, now continue to make wise financial decisions, and you can stay debt free AND enjoy the protection afforded by using a credit card (fee and interest free!)

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Way to go on making yourself debt-free, now continue to make wise financial decisions, and you can stay debt free AND enjoy the protection afforded by using a credit card (fee and interest free!)

Thanks, thats the plan.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Same thing happened to my wife.  I'll find out what the particulars were and shoot you an IM later to see if it was the same entity.

ETA, evidently they found out that the fraudulent charges were made just about an hour before her payment to the CPR class.  So nevermind.  We've had it happen to us a few times though and it gets rather frustrating.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#30]
When I've had problems with my BOA debit card they automatically refunded me all the bogus charges and sent me a letter I had to sign saying they weren't mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top