Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:25:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one from a buddy last year. I had some pickup brass from a range trip and found a used set of dies and had powder and primers from reloading .308. I went to the range with the new reloads and was amazed at how accurate the gun was with those rounds. It only took 5 shots to get it zero'd in a 100 yards and after that I was making a hole the size of a nickle. at 200 yards it only dropped about 2 inches. I like it and for $150 it was a good buy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Academy has brand new Remington 700 SPS rifles on sale for $369.00.

Calibers include 30-06, .243, ..270, and 7mm mag. and 25-06

Not a BDL but in my opinion has better features including a super cell recoil pad, X-mark pro trigger which is easily adjusted, and comes with no iron sights for easy scope installation.  It would be tough to find a used BDL in this price range.

I have both a 700 BDL in 30-06 and an SPS in 25-06 and can tell you I much prefer the stock on the SPS.  It doesn't have the overly done monte carlo stock that the BDL does.

However, the walnut does look pretty on the BDL.  I just hate putting scratches in it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My wife uses one (stainless/synthetic) for deer hunting.  She loves it, shoots it well, and has killed a number of deer with it.  The trigger was EXCELLENT from the factory, and it is quite accurate––

http://i56.tinypic.com/2j31w1j.jpg

That is an awesome 10 shot group at 10 yards

Fixed it for ya.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#4]
for whoever asked earlier, it is my understanding that

ADL - fixed internal magazine
BDL - fixed internal magazine with trap door
CDL - removable internal magazine
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Had a 700 in 30.06.  Loved that rifle.  Easily under an inch with several bullet weights.

Lost it in the divorce.  .     I hope her new boyfriend blows his foot off with it.  

Have since relaced it with a 700 in 270.  Haven't shot the new one yet enough to know if it's an equal to the .06.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had a few Remington 700s. I've worked on a couple more.

The extractors SUCK. I replaced TWO in one gun. There was obviously something wrong with it. Finally went with a Sako style. Round count was under 100 and all factory 7mm mag.

The safety only blocks the trigger/sear and not the striker.

The barrel quality is spotty. You may get a good one, you may not.

I would take a new Winchester 70 classic any day of the week over the Remington. They cost a bit more, though. I've got one in .338 win mag. I've also got one of the Stealths (push feed) in an A-2 stock that is under .5 moa @ 200 yards. Heard similar results from many on these rifles.

Not that familiar with Savage but have heard good things about the heavy barrels as far as accuracy goes. Daughter has one of the kid's .22 with the accutrigger. Seems to do a decent job. I've not had it apart to see about adjusting it. Seven year olds don't need a 1.5# trigger.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only thing wrong with them is that they're too damned pretty. I'd get a stainless/synthetic if I was still up north so I wouldn't worry about ruining a nice finish during a week of rainy hunting season. The trigger on the 700 will drop to 3.5 pounds pull weight with a broken glass sear if you know what you're doing.

What he said, but to be more specific the trigger on a Rem. 700 is fully adjustable for weight, sear engagement and overtravel. I have mine set to about 2 1/2 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've had a few Remington 700s. I've worked on a couple more.

The extractors SUCK. I replaced TWO in one gun. There was obviously something wrong with it. Finally went with a Sako style. Round count was under 100 and all factory 7mm mag.

The safety only blocks the trigger/sear and not the striker.

The barrel quality is spotty. You may get a good one, you may not.

I would take a new Winchester 70 classic any day of the week over the Remington. They cost a bit more, though. I've got one in .338 win mag. I've also got one of the Stealths (push feed) in an A-2 stock that is under .5 moa @ 200 yards. Heard similar results from many on these rifles.

Not that familiar with Savage but have heard good things about the heavy barrels as far as accuracy goes. Daughter has one of the kid's .22 with the accutrigger. Seems to do a decent job. I've not had it apart to see about adjusting it. Seven year olds don't need a 1.5# trigger.

Interesting, very interesting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am looking for a rifle that will serve well in the northwest when I come home. My wife is looking at getting me a Remington 700 BDL in .30-06.

Any thoughts on their durability and overall fit and finish?

How is the accuracy?

I have a Rem 700 ADL in .06 (only difference is BDL has a fancier stock) I've had it for over thirty years. It was my very first large bore hunting rifle and have taken many deer, elk, and antelope with it. I've put more rounds down range (on paper) than I count, it has always been supremely accurate; probably my favorite rifle....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 700 ADL in .308.  I love it.  My trigger is really crisp and very light.  My first long range rifle.  Very accurate for a $379.99 rifle with a 3 x 9 x 40 scope from the factory.  To the poster above that says he has a craptastic trigger.  You can adjust the factory trigger on the Remington 700 rifles to be extremely light.  I believe it voids the warranty on the trigger though.  Mine is already very light from the factory, maybe 4lbs and breaks very clean.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Also heard Tikka is worth a very close look these days.

Yes. Give a Tikka T3 a look. I have one in .308 and it is very accurate and came with a great trigger out of the box. Very smooth action.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

for whoever asked earlier, it is my understanding that

CDL - removable internal magazine

I haven't looked over Remington's M700 line for a few years, but I don't think that is quite right.

BDL-DM- removable internal magazine

CDL - fancy BDL

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top