User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Toillet paper!

My wife does all our grocery shopping, When she comes home I help her unload the groceries, that's the extent of my hleping with shopping. Imagine my surprise when a few weeks ago she came home and the entire back cargo area of her Durango was filled from side to side and floor to roof with shit paper. I gave a big It was around 60 four packs she got for pennies on the dollar that was being phased out in that store, so she said she couldnt pass it up. So I'm good for to shit paper for awhile.  Yeah, cool story bro and all that.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Ammo, Chocolate, Coffee, Tea, Sugar, Silk Stockings.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Comfort items. Booze, smokes, chocolate. Hygeine supplies. Tampons, diapers, toothpaste, etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
TWINKIES!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Comfort items. Booze, smokes, chocolate. Hygeine supplies. Tampons, diapers, toothpaste, etc.

Many people have already posted these and I think they're right.  I'd be surprised if ammo was a really big item.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Geez guys, how about good shoes. I have many pairs
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]
From the consensus, toilet paper making machine
http://www.zhauns.com/troll.php
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Food

Tobacco

Alcohol

Guns/Ammo

Fuel
that's about it.

alcohol guns and ammo keep best

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a member in the Survival Forum who lives in Argentina and has posted about what it was like during the hyperinflation there.

He had a big list of stuff that was in demand.

IIRC, TP topped the list as well as other hygiene and food items.
I have a healthy stash of tobacco; I'm rich come SHTF
Speed

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Food

Tobacco

Alcohol

Guns/Ammo

Fuel

And gold.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Which items would be of the biggest value to have set aside ahead of time.  Its not a breakdown of society and government services.  Just every thing cost 20 or 100x what it did before.

Impossible.

You will never see hyperinflation in the US, so long as we keep the current monetary system & don't go isolationist.

Argentina was a pegged-money system (pegged to the dollar), so it's not a valid comparison....

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I always laugh at those who answer guns/ammo in these threads, as if their Road Warrior fantasies are going to come true.
Ask someone who lived during the hyperinflation of 1920s Germany how useful an ammo stockpile was.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Which items would be of the biggest value to have set aside ahead of time.  Its not a breakdown of society and government services.  Just every thing cost 20 or 100x what it did before.

Impossible.

You will never see hyperinflation in the US, so long as we keep the current monetary system & don't go isolationist.

Argentina was a pegged-money system (pegged to the dollar), so it's not a valid comparison....

Thanks for your list. Those are some mighty fine items to have on hand.

Couldn't you just get in on the swing of things and think outside the box sometimes? Might just be fun once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Asswipe, Irish Spring, Ibuprofen, Burbon, Surefire batteries, Beans , Rice, Coffee, Sugar, Ammo lots of Ammo...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Impossible.

why can't we have hyperinflation?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Hookers 'n' blow.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Cheap counterfeit designer gear from China.
Pirate DVDs.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Tires
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im not underestimating the value of toilet paper...

You gotta be shit'n me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Diapers

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Impossible.

Thanks for your list. Those are some mighty fine items to have on hand.

Couldn't you just get in on the swing of things and think outside the box sometimes? Might just be fun once in a while.

Come on that's fucking DaveA for you.....everything will be just fine nothing to see here folks
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tires

And tubes for the bikes
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Not to brag on it (I was once locked an another thread) but I have learned how to make ETOH (for fuel purposes only of course). However, in a pinch, I can be consumed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Impossible.

You are new here so I'll clue you in on a little secret,   because Dave said so,  no really, ask him.

Dave post's opinion as facts and if asked to back them up he'll post the same opinion in a different way as facts to back up his previous facts.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Plywood & Drip Line (Irrigation hose)
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which items would be of the biggest value to have set aside ahead of time. Its not a breakdown of society and government services. Just every thing cost 20 or 100x what it did before.

Impossible.

Way to go Dave.

Pissing on a good fantasy thread.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I always laugh at those who answer guns/ammo in these threads, as if their Road Warrior fantasies are going to come true.

Ask someone who lived during the hyperinflation of 1920s Germany how useful an ammo stockpile was.

Hey it helped Germany become "Greater Germany".....for a while.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#28]
feminine hygiene products, good as gold!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#29]
On the flip side you can get ass to mouth for a stick of gum.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Sugar, salt, rice, flour, yeast, etc. the basic semi non perishables that will last awhile and whose prices would skyrocket.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Food, water, fuel, guns & ammo....the regular basics.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#33]
87 cans of spray cheese
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impossible.

Hyperinflation is caused by the sorts of *political* decisions that can't happen in the US...
Losing a war so badly that the winners extract economy-crushing reparations, expelling all your productive workers, and such... Or in Argentina's case, pegging their money to the US Dollar & then taking political measures to save the peg, then (IIRC) talking about ending the peg.
Not by national debt, or any normal economic factor...
Essentially, you have to have politicians who (a) want to enact a near-instantly economy-crushing law or laws (no, obama-care doesn't count - it's nowhere near bad enougn), and (b) have the power to do it without reprocussions....
We don't have that. Nor do we have a pegged money system (pegged money itself causes DEFLATION, however abandoning the peg during a deflationary crisis can cause hyperinflation if not managed properly). Thus, we're pretty well safe from hyperinflation....
Most of the things that could cause it, are the stuff of fringe 3rd parties (abolishing the Fed, withdrawal from foreign affairs, etc - stuff that causes the rest of the world to see the US as something other than a rock-solid stable superpower, and thus a safe bet for a reserve currency).... So long as that doesn't happen, we're safe.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If you only stocked up on guns and ammo and expect to only hunt for food, you are a fool. Millions have this exact same plan. Game species would be extinct in very little time.

What if your plan was to eat people?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:07:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey it helped Germany become "Greater Germany".....for a while.

Well all that ammo might have been useful in the Germany of the '30s, eh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Food

Guns and ammo takes food.

eta: I don't mean stealing, I mean hunting.

The problem is that once buying food becomes out of reach for most Americans, hunting will become VERY popular and the woods will be filled with yahoos sporting all sorts of weapons. Most will be inept but with that many people shooting at anything that moves at anytime, wildlife populations will be quickly depleted. My Father who learned to hunt during the Depression (not for sport but for family survival) still marvels about how easy it is to take a deer today compared to the 1930s when he would have to trek DEEP into the hills and mountains and sometimes camp for days before he got a shot because deer populations were so low.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
feminine hygiene products, good as gold!

How about cosmetics?  Lipsticks, makeup, perfume.  Ho's gots to eats too!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:11:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Food.  Basic concern.
Water filtration unit.
Toilet paper.
Soap (laundry and for hygiene).

Luxury items:

Alcohol.  Others have explained
Tobacco.  Others have explained.
Lipstick.  It's for barter with women or men who have wives/gf.  
Perfume.  Same as above.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#40]
beans, bullets, batteries

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top