Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
It's good to see during hard times some school districts still have the spare cash to piss away on drug testing kids.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Participating in extracurricular activities or driving to school aren't rights, they are privileges.  Usually the kids have to also keep a minimum GPA for these as well.  I don't have a problem with it.

Ya but, driving to school?
I mean if I person is old enough to drive, they are old enough to drive...how is the school involved w/ that

I don't see the logic in that one.

My HS had a limited number of parking spots in the student lot, so permits were only issued to seniors who maintained a minimum GPA.

Quoted:
yet the motherfuckers still won't randomly drug test people on welfare.

When that bill was introduced in the WV legislature last year, some liberal cunt claimed that doing so was racist.

Big difference between drug testing for the priviledge(???  disagree with that) of driving to school, and drug testing for the privilege of a parking spot on campus.

Significant difference.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's your own fault if you send your kids off to the government school.

Stop posting stupid stuff. We've talked about this before.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The primary issue that I take with such testing is that this is not a condition of voluntary employment or the like ("if you want to work here you'll submit to the test").  

In many states/locales school attendence is mandatory at least until a certain age, and as the public school is an agent of the government it seems like there would be some legitimate 4th Amendment concerns here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
As someone who has experienced the school system trying to "help" someone, this will not end well for anyone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The primary issue that I take with such testing is that this is not a condition of voluntary employment or the like ("if you want to work here you'll submit to the test").  

In many states/locales school attendence is mandatory at least until a certain age, and as the public school is an agent of the government it seems like there would be some legitimate 4th Amendment concerns here.

There is a voluntary part of the test. If you want to play or park, you will submit to the test. I do not agree with the drug testing because I saw how worthless it was when I was in HS, but some of y'all are acting like they are going to hold kids down and take hair samples. Also, most districts that are using drug testing have a similiar penalty for pissing hot. You sit out of all activities for so long a time and go to some on campus drug counseling  if you want to reduce the time you sit out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I have zero problem with this, in fact I encourage it.

Flame away. The only way to stop the drug cartels and narco states is to stop user demand.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think this should have been started years ago.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Participating in extracurricular activities or driving to school aren't rights, they are privileges.  Usually the kids have to also keep a minimum GPA for these as well.  I don't have a problem with it.

Is driving a privilege?  Should we drug test before someone gets a driver's license?  Of course the answer is no.

I agree that we shouldn't drug test people at the DMV, but is driving a right? Show me what part of the Constitution says driving is a right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the police state .... what will big brother think of next??? Perhaps embedding all the students with tracking chips
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is driving a privilege?  Should we drug test before someone gets a driver's license?  Of course the answer is no.

I disagree, drug test for every new DL or renewal would be good. Too many idiots on the road as it it.

I have NO sympathy for those who thing using methamphetamine  is a constititional right.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was in high school parking on campus meant you agreed to frequent visual inspections of your car's interior and pass by's from the drug dog.  I parked across the street. Might as well teach kids about crap like this early.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Flame away. The only way to stop the drug cartels and narco states is to stop user demand.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the police state .... what will big brother think of next??? Perhaps embedding all the students with tracking chips

We are already a police state in many ways. You can own a gun but not one with a barrel less than 16" without permission from big brother?

We are already there. At least the drug testing serves a purpose, and if it gets the crackheads, methheads and yes, even potheads off the road, that's fine with me.

Testing for use of illegal substances while obtaining a state gov't issue licensed or attending a public institution is not the same as RFID chips.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#17]
the pot heads will just park off campus.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have NO sympathy for those who thing using methamphetamine  is a constititional right.

Legalize all non-legal drugs and put a stop to the drug problems.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The narco empires have gotten out of control. The sheep who use illicit drugs and create a demand ARE the reason, everything else is a result. Simple policies like this would be more effective than the entire DEA. Using meth is not a freedom, it's just stupid.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:31:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree that we shouldn't drug test people at the DMV, but is driving a right? Show me what part of the Constitution says driving is a right.

That isn't the way the Constitution works. You should know that Deej.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Which is why they should test ALL students, ALL teachers and ALL custodial and ancillary staff for hair samples.
Get it out of the school system.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have NO sympathy for those who think using methamphetamine  is a constititional right.

Legalize all non-legal drugs and put a stop to the drug problems.

ALL non-legal drugs?

Methamphetamine boutiques will do a lot to enhance our country won't it?

I can't even begin to reply to the stupidity of the total legalization arguement. Having Meth, heroin and opiate addicts as mainstream? That is completely insane.

I cannot see a shred of to see any reason to that, none whatsoever, other than to advocate the destruction of western civilization. it's loony tunes.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:39:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Big difference between drug testing for the priviledge(???  disagree with that) of driving to school, and drug testing for the privilege of a parking spot on campus.

Significant difference.

The way I read the OP is that the school requires the drug test before an on-campus parking permit is issued.  If you're driving into the vicinity of the school and parking at a friend's house across the street, you're not really driving "to school".
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Should do the teachers first...

You think they weren't?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#26]
If my tax money is going to fund it in any way, I have no problems with whomever getting the money getting tested for drugs. This goes for welfare as well. If it's publically funded, it should be audited to make sure the money isn't being thrown away.

Teachers and administrators should undergo mandatory testing as well. After all, tax dollars are paying their salaries.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If my tax money is going to fund it in any way, I have no problems with whomever getting the money getting tested for drugs. This goes for welfare as well. If it's publically funded, it should be audited to make sure the money isn't being thrown away.

Teachers and administrators should undergo mandatory testing as well. After all, tax dollars are paying their salaries.

Agree.
If they are in public service, is this really that different from the military from a drug use standpoint?
How many here are against drug testing in the military (I know there will be a few).

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

...and have their cars towed.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is why they should test ALL students, ALL teachers and ALL custodial and ancillary staff for hair samples.

Oh yeah.  That'll get it out of the school system for sure.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You realize that government employees get paid to do a job, not to meet your idea of clean living?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So tell me how it won't significantly reduce drug use? You can't cheat on a hair sample like you can a pee test. Shampooing with chemicals doesn't work, taking herbal concoctions won't work. And it can go back years. Short of removing every hair on your body before every drug test including eyelashes it will be effective.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You realize that government employees get paid to do a job, not to meet your idea of clean living?

If they are less effective because of their illegal activities, and they are paid to serve me by my tax money along with that of others, it is a concern of mine.
I don't think anyone is going to be able to present a coherent argument that a methamphetamine user or heroin user is not going to be less effective.

You think cops or firemen should not be tested for illicit drug use? How about border patrol? DEA agents, should they not be tested?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So tell me how it won't significantly reduce drug use? You can't cheat on a hair sample like you can a pee test. Shampooing with chemicals doesn't work, taking herbal concoctions won't work. And it can go back years. Short of removing every hair on your body before every drug test including eyelashes it will be effective.

On the bright side, once you've expelled 80% of the students and fired 90% of the employees, we might get a few years without them crying for a budget increase.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The narco empires have gotten out of control. The sheep who use illicit drugs and create a demand ARE the reason, everything else is a result. Simple policies like this would be more effective than the entire DEA. Using meth is not a freedom, it's just stupid.

No one is saying drug use is a CON right; however, the 4th Amendment is pretty clear on unwarranted searches.

So following your reasoning, we can suspend the USCON in drug areas and do warrantless searches, because the "narco empires have gotten out of control."

Very slippery slope and once you head down that road, we can just detour over to "narco gun empires have gotten out of control," and go ahead and grab all the guns.

How's that grab ya?

I would never allow anyone to test my child - period.  Not only does it violate the 4th, but just as importantly it interferes with basic parental rights.

You suspect something - get a warrant.  It's not that hard I don't think, seeing as we've been doing it for some time now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

On the bright side, once you've expelled 80% of the students and fired 90% of the employees, we might get a few years without them crying for a budget increase.

I have never worked at a job that didn't require drug testing, whether it was the military or corporate employent.  It's not that hard to NOT abuse illegal drugs. It's also hard to buy illegal drugs without income. Crime as a means of obtaining drug money has limited success and the penalties are high.

You would see most people come clean if such policies were instituted universally. And the cartels would be dealt a huge blow from the loss of a big part of the income need to keep their empire going.

Maybe you prefer tax dollars going to free needles and syringes for drug addicts, and free taxpayer funded shelter for addicts to shoot up in? Are you even aware of how much drug rehabilitation costs insurance companies, which drive up everyones medical insurance rates?

ETA  Average is about $7500 a month for inpatient, $1400/mo for outpatient. On the high end, you may find that a drug rehab stay costs $30,000 for one month. The average inpatient rehab period is about 3 months. Multiply that by millions of americans in rehab every year and you will get an idea of the amount of money spent annually.

Illicit drug use costs us all way to much every year.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah - I think we should all try and meet his standards of clean living
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They were doing this in the late 80's early 90's.

So how did it go?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a good idea.

You want your kids drug tested? Head on over to CVS.

yup

eta: are they testing the teachers at the start of the year too?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have never worked at a job that didn't require drug testing, whether it was the military or corporate employent.  It's not that hard to NOT abuse illegal drugs. It's also hard to buy illegal drugs without income. Crime as a means of obtaining drug money has limited success and the penalties are high.

You would see most people come clean if such policies were instituted universally. And the cartels would be dealt a huge blow from the loss of a big part of the income need to keep their empire going.

Maybe you prefer tax dollars going to free needles and syringes for drug addicts, and free taxpayer funded shelter for addicts to shoot up in? Are you even aware of how much drug rehabilitation costs insurance companies, which drive up everyones medical insurance rates?

And we can clean up everything - just as soon as we declare martial law
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a book you might like, it's called 1984.

Authoritarian Utopia
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Authoritarian Utopia

If something causes that, it won't be drug testing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Authoritarian Utopia

If something causes that, it won't be drug testing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#45]
When I was in high school, I walked the line. Didn't drink, didn't smoke, didn't fuck around, stayed out of trouble, got good grades, worked a part time job, did the extra curricular stuff, editor of the school newspaper, won a lot of awards in scholastic UIL competitions, got scholarships, etc.

It always pissed me off at Prom when they came around and what us to sign a pledge saying we wouldn't drink.

I didn't drink.

I felt if my word wasn't good enough, then wtf good was a pledge going to do? I felt insulted.

I was a student, not a safety engineer running a nuclear reactor. There's no reason to do it except to be in my business.

Administrators would always get pissy when I didn't sign it.

I imagine if they would have brought me in for drug testing, I would have told them to get bent.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA  Average is about $7500 a month for inpatient, $1400/mo for outpatient. On the high end, you may find that a drug rehab stay costs $30,000 for one month. The average inpatient rehab period is about 3 months. Multiply that by millions of americans in rehab every year and you will get an idea of the amount of money spent annually.

Illicit drug use costs us all way to much every year.

You know what?  You've convinced me.

What percentage of school children would be expelled under your plan?  What percentage of the population would be completely unable to find gainful employment under your plan?

Think of the hit tax revenues would take!  The underground economy would flourish.  

You may have single handedly done more damage to the federal government than every person who has ever argued for smaller government combined.

The great part is, we could probably get your plan to pass.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Should do the teachers first...

Quote for truth
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Constitution does not grant rights Deej––-and driving is a form of travel, which is pretty obviously one of the non-enumerated rights referred to in the 9th Amendment.

Seriously, to say that you have a right to travel, but not to drive, because it isn't listed in the Constitution, as akin to the silly folks who think the 2nd Amendment simply lets people have flintlocks, since they were all there was when it was written.  Driving is the most common and prevalent form of travel for the majority.

As an aside, there is no right to have kids, no right to get married, no right to go to school, no right to read, etc., listed anywhere in the Constitution––––––it is merely a list of powers the government has, and a blueprint for how our government is organized.  It grants no rights.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Sports and whatnot I can sort of see, but driving to school?  That's BS, how I get to school is none of their business.  On another note, doesn't drug testing the kids who are playing sports and participating in extra actvities seem pointlees?  Those are the good kids, if you really want to find out who  is doing drugs, look for the kids smoking cigs across the street wearing Marilyn Manson shirts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Submit. Learn it early.

+1
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top