Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2010 9:57:18 PM EDT
Crossposting this from the AR variants forum because I'm impatient and GD always delivers.

I picked up a new(ish) DPMS LR-308 on Labor Day, and finally got out to shoot it today. Holy shit, I'm in love. Absolute blast to shoot, but it's a beating, and my fiancée can only get 3 or 4 rounds off and she's done for the day. I'm planning on making this my hog gun if I can find someone nearby who will actually let me shoot their hogs, but as it sits right now, it's only fun to shoot for the first few rounds.

It has the factory 6-position collapsible stock on it, are there any recoil pads available for it, and is the stock itself interchangeable with standard AR parts? I know that the buffer internals differ, but apparently my google-fu sucks and I can't seem to hammer out if I can throw a different stock on it and swap the internals. I am a little girl, I want something that is actually going to cushion the recoil, not just keep the plastic off of me.

Optic issue - I've got a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm on it right now, and my gut is telling me that it just isn't enough scope for this rifle. I'm thinking maybe a 3-9x or 4-12x would suit it much better, but I'd like to hear from some folks that actually shoot the rifle. Money *is* important, and I'm actually considering getting a cheap NCstar right now to see how it holds up. I know, shit chinese optic, but I've shot them sitting on top of a buddies Savage 10FP and it was shooting sub .5MOA and holding it's zero over time, and they're *cheap*.

Handguards - Which freefloat rails are compatible with the DPMS LR-308? Again, cheap wins, I just want the top rail to continue seamlessly so I can mount the scope a bit further forward. I don't feel like I can get sight picture acquired fast enough as it sits right now - with the scope pushed as far forward as it will go I'm still too close to the scope to get a full neck extension, so I'm constantly fucking around with my cheekweld trying to get sight picture.

Yes, I am a little girl for wanting a rifle that doesn't beat me up, I know.

Great range trip tho - despite Garland public range apparently not wanting my money when I went to buy some fresh targets.  I stood at the counter with my wallet out and cash in my hand for a good 4 minutes while the 2 guys working just completely ignored me, I eventually just got tired of looking like a dumbass and shot up different corners of my targets.  Rifle seemed to be grouping 1/2" or less at 50 yards (was sighting it in, just mounted the scope last night), and I finally got a chance to shoot my new Diamondback D380.  D380 ran flawlessly for me on Hornady tap and 3 different brands of FMJ .380 I had lying around, fiancée had a ftf, but she was limpwristing it.  Shot the Browning BDA the neighbor gave me for selling her guns for her for the first time as well - what a great shooting fucking gun, why can't they make one in 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
maybe you could trade the stock out for a fixed stock, and fill it with some weight?  It would balance that heavy barrel and reduce a lot of recoil.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got an A2 stock I pulled off my LR-308.

Just sayin
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Need to keep a collapsible stock, I really don't like the way the A2 stock looks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
just get a slip on recoil pad for a CAR stock.  Should be the same size. The AR guys on the other side of the house would know better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump for the morning crew.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
You can always look at Millet scopes if you're on a budget.  My buddy has one on his Rem700 in 308 and it has held up well.  Glass quality is a little less than desired, but not bad features for the money.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/millet-tactical-riflescope.html
Or you can look for used quality optics on the EE.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=783361

ETA: how far/distance you plan on shooting your rifle?  That would be a huge decision factor for me personally when trying to decide quality of glass vs. features on the scope.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#7]
DPMS part # CP-AP4V––––Fits the DPMS AP4, DPMS Pardus stock and all other 6 position stocks out there. I have them on Stag, RRA, CMMG, DPMS, Del-Ton etc.. should run about $20 or so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Alot of recoil pads come in sizes and are trim to fit. The limbsaver I put on my 300WSM made it a pleasure to shoot. Being about 6.5lbs it was not exactly user friendly.

Limbsaver has one for the AR collapsable stock. I dont know if its the same as the one I put on my .300wsm  but they are a reputable company so id assume it works.

http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/products/firearms/ar-m4.php#snap
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking along the lines of a silicon gel pad - does anyone make these for the collapsible stock?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top