Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#1]
M&P (don't own one yet, but its next on the buy list)

CZ P07- I love everything about mine.  I have about 1,500 rounds through it without a single issue.  It's a great value for the money. It comes with a decocker or a safery and you can switch between the two.  The only drawbacks are expensive extra mags, and not very many holsters off the shelf.  Many good holster makers with custom make one for around $80-90.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
When what I'm wearing doesn't work with carrying my G-17, I put a Kel Tec PF-9 in my pocket.
Same controls as the Glock, so there is nothing to forget (like a thumb safety) in a "OH SHIT" moment.

This.  Why mess with what you know?

Disclaimer:  When not at work (where I have to carry a .40,) I carry a G19 as my primary.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that a Beretta 92 Centurion would be a close second to a G19 and has a safety.  

I have an extra one that I can give you a decent price on.  I'm in Ft. Worth.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
So by a aftermarket safety kit or buy an original.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HK45c.

That.

ETA: Or this

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When what I'm wearing doesn't work with carrying my G-17, I put a Kel Tec PF-9 in my pocket.
Same controls as the Glock, so there is nothing to forget (like a thumb safety) in a "OH SHIT" moment.

This.  Why mess with what you know?

Disclaimer:  When not at work (where I have to carry a .40,) I carry a G19 as my primary.

I carried a .45 caliber mag as backup to my 10mm Glock for a month once before I figured it out. You should have seen the look on my face.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why in the world do you need a thumb safety?

That's what I was thinking.

This is my query as well.

I don't like the idea of keeping a gun in my pants with a round in the chamber (even in an IWB holster) when the gun has no external safety.  I like the 1911, but understand it's limitations, it's maintenance requirements, and cost.  

I'm not here to discuss firearm safety and proper equipment.  I'm here to discuss other alternatives.  I'm most interested in people who have owned the G19 and other firearms and their reasoning for choosing one over the other.

I've owned a lot of different handguns for concealed carry. I picked the g19 for my main carry because it was the lightest and smallest way for me to carry 16 rounds of 9mm. I shot slightly better with some guns, but I shoot the g19 well enough to kill what I need to  kill. The 442 is easy to carry in any situation and I shoot it well. The other selling point is neither has a manual safety to fiddle with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I rode the high end 1911 train for years, with mixed results. Always went back to my trusty G19. That's pretty much all I carry now.  I also have a G26 that I would rank a close second. The thumb safety will put you in a differant operating system to get use to , so I don't reccomend that.

After carrying almost every type of gun made for 25 years, I will say that you own the best carry gun made and the next step is down.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My advice? Untwist those panties and get over it. Myself and millions of others carry glocks and other "safetyless" pistols daily without any problems. Keep the gun in the holster and that finger off the bang switch and don't worry about it.

+1

You are being completely irrational in your thinking.

If you REALLY are worried about it, you can spend $3 for one of these to ease your mind. ...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't really have much to add, here. I've never had a problem keeping my booger hook off the bang button.

<––- Carries a G19.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're not requiring a thumb safety, the Kahr CW9 is a lot slimmer & easier to carry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Great, another 1911 vs Glock thread in disguise.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
HK P2000

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#14]
XD

(yes, some have thumb safeties)

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#15]
HiPower

Thumb Safety

Good concealment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:  I like the 1911, but understand it's limitations, it's maintenance requirements, and cost.

You lost me there... BUT

here's your answer

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5532/Product/MANUAL_SAFETY_KIT_FOR_GLOCK_reg_

keep your glock, and put a thumbsafety on it. Doesn't even void your warranty...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:36:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You want a glock, but with a thumb safety, barring custom modding, you can't have it.  Deal.

It's only $80 and most anyone can do it...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Thumb safety?  How bout a Para-Ordnance Warthog?

Of course the Finger Safety works well for many people.  If you are professional enough, that is.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK45c.

That.

ETA: Or this

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z228/pistolwrench19/3-54.jpg

It just moved in my pants.

I require more information.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry either an M&P 9c or a S&W908. Both are available with thumb safeties.

The M&P is easier to shoot, but a little hard to conceal since it's, well, as wide as your average glock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why in the world do you need a thumb safety?

That's what I was thinking.

This is my query as well.

I don't like the idea of keeping a gun in my pants with a round in the chamber (even in an IWB holster) when the gun has no external safety.  I like the 1911, but understand it's limitations, it's maintenance requirements, and cost.  

I'm not here to discuss firearm safety and proper equipment.  I'm here to discuss other alternatives.  I'm most interested in people who have owned the G19 and other firearms and their reasoning for choosing one over the other.

My advice? Untwist those panties and get over it. Myself and millions of others carry glocks and other "safetyless" pistols daily without any problems. Keep the gun in the holster and that finger off the bang switch and don't worry about it.

your post, it nails it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top