Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2010 5:40:29 PM EDT
So, after checking out a few GTA 4 vids on YouTube, I kind of want a PS3 now. (But Deej, you have a perfectly working PS2). Yeah, I know.

Question: I have a 13 inch Orion TV that is over 10 years old. Will the PS3 work well on my old TV, or should I use our HDTV for said purposes?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:41:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:42:49 PM EDT by orangelo]
It's gonna look like shit and for some games you won't even be able to read any of the text on the screen. It seems lots of developers choose fonts for HDTVs these days and you literally can not read the letters on standard definition sets.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:42:01 PM EDT
If you got an HDTV, use that. I have a 32" tv at home, and a lot of the games I play use such tiny fonts that I can hardly read anything on the screen.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:43:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By numberofthebeast:
If you got an HDTV, use that. I have a 32" tv at home, and a lot of the games I play use such tiny fonts that I can hardly read anything on the screen.

Problem is, it's in our living room. Playing video games at 23:00 with my mom in the next room asleep may not be a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:43:42 PM EDT
If you don't have a PS3 yet or your own HDTV. Then you should get a good 1080p television (Plasma baby!) first and then get a PS3.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:13 PM EDT
I played my ps3 on a little tv. It is hard as hell to read any text but I shot people very well
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Deej86:
So, after checking out a few GTA 4 vids on YouTube, I kind of want a PS3 now. (But Deej, you have a perfectly working PS2). Yeah, I know.

Question: I have a 13 inch Orion TV that is over 10 years old. Will the PS3 work well on my old TV, or should I use our HDTV for said purposes?

I use my PS3 on a 20ish inch CRT. It's useable, but not mind-blowing.

GTA4 is pretty awesome. You do get bored of it, but you'll get a few good months out of it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tekka:
If you don't have a PS3 yet or your own HDTV. Then you should get a good 1080p television (Plasma baby!) first and then get a PS3.

What about a smaller LCD set?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:45:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:45:44 PM EDT by Vicinity]

Holy poop.

You know you can get a 22" HDTV from Wally World for under $150?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:47:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Vicinity:

Holy poop.

This.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:47:36 PM EDT
deej, just buy the TV on woot.com now. It's $300 + $5 shipping. Can't beat that price anywhere. Sale ends midnight tonight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:47:53 PM EDT
I tried to play cod4 on my 27" flat screen crt style tv I have in my room,it looked like complete shit
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:48:10 PM EDT

Use one with my Xbox. Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:50:32 PM EDT

Holy poop.

I may try TigerDirect cause there is a store near me. The thing is I may try a smaller set because of the size of the cabinet and I have two kitties.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:52:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2010 5:53:05 PM EDT by Vicinity]

Holy poop.

I may try TigerDirect cause there is a store near me. The thing is I may try a smaller set because of the size of the cabinet and I have two kitties.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6463221&CatId=3648

Perfect for you, deej. 16" and 109 dollars.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:56:24 PM EDT
Get the 32" from woot, mount it on the wall. No worries with cats knocking it down
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:59:10 PM EDT
You want HDTV otherwise you are just cheating yourself out of optimal graphics

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:01:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Requiem:
Get the 32" from woot, mount it on the wall. No worries with cats knocking it down

$305 for a 32" TV, plus whatever the wall mount costs (how much would that be, around 50 bucks?).

Sounds like a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:06:48 PM EDT

Dibbs on his old PS2 games!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:22:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RarestRX:

Dibbs on his old PS2 games!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:23:41 PM EDT
32" is the minimum for gaming, IMHO, unless we're talking computer monitors that you're sitting 1' from.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:26:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Evil_ATF:
32" is the minimum for gaming, IMHO, unless we're talking computer monitors that you're sitting 1' from.

To about 8 feet. Then you need to go up to 42".
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:27:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:30:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By brouhaha:

Problem is, it's in our living room. Playing video games at 23:00 with my mom in the next room asleep may not be a good idea.

Move out and live on your own?

Need a job first.

Stupid GTA4 question yeah but here we go: Are parts of the city locked like the other games until you pass missions?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:32:19 PM EDT

Need a job first.

Stupid GTA4 question yeah but here we go: Are parts of the city locked like the other games until you pass missions?

yeah you have to go do missions.I havent played gta4 in awhile.Im on the 2nd part,I think theres 5 altogether
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:40:09 PM EDT
Put the PS3 on the living room TV, and get some wireless headphones to go with. I game and watch movies less than 10' away from my sleeping wife and kids in near silence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:45:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By moparman71:
Put the PS3 on the living room TV, and get some wireless headphones to go with. I game and watch movies less than 10' away from my sleeping wife and kids in near silence.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:51:15 PM EDT
Playing ps3 or 360 on a Standard Def TV is like having sex with a condom.

It's enjoyable. And fun. But without is sooooo much better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:47:52 AM EDT
Yea, parts of the map is locked. The cops get really pissed at you if you go over there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:01:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jff24gordn:
Yea, parts of the map is locked. The cops get really pissed at you if you go over there.

I can only do one,maybe 2 missions at a time before I start causing trouble for no reason
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:10:55 AM EDT
Thats like putting a putting a V8 in Pinto.....
I wouldnt recomend a PS3 to anyone that was using an analog TV. Sorry, I just wouldnt.

There are TONS of screens out there for cheap that will do the PS3 partial justice. Check Newegg.
Think about it. The PS3 has an awesome game selection, but really the golden prize is the Bluray.

Make your purchase with the same mindset you would buying a Bluray player.
If you are going to drop a few bills on the players, it should include the TV as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:15:11 AM EDT
I play on a 51" and I think it's too small.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:41:39 AM EDT

Need a job first.

Maybe spend time finding a nice job you enjoy should take priority over COD or whatever game of the month?

Not flaming, just asking.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:17:04 AM EDT
A 32" LCD will be like GODvision compared to a 13" screen.

Seriously, grab a cheapy 32" from WallyWorld and a PS3 and you'll be GTG for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:37:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 6:55:53 AM EDT by Deej86]
Originally Posted By hkx3:

Need a job first.

Maybe spend time finding a nice job you enjoy should take priority over COD or whatever game of the month?

I have been TRYING to find a job since May. I have checked every single job website I can think of, I've checked the paper. Believe it or not I'm thinking more about that than a video game.

ETA-Just now I just imported my resume to monster.com and filled out a job application online. I'm waiting to hear back from an interview I had a week ago Thursday. Believe it or not I'm not sitting here mentally masturbating about video games.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:45:37 AM EDT
I have had a 40gig hooked up to a 27" SDTV(CRT) for the past 2 years, and while I plan on going to a nice HDTV at some point in the future, I haven't had enough problems with my old tv and the PS3 to justify spending the money yet.

It is enough of an improvement over the PS2 to justify getting the PS3. The reason I got it though was for the games that were being released. I was already playing the MGS and FF series and the sequels were going to be released on PS3 so that made the decision easy.

One thing though, look around and find a MGS4 Bundle or earlier 20gig or 60gig launch version(you can upgrade your HDD up to 750gig- as long as a 2.5 laptop drive is made for the size). They should be decently cheep but have BC with the old PS2 games so you don't have to toss all the old games you have accumulated over the past few years owning a PS2. It's nice to be able to play all PS games on one system.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:48:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hkx3:

He can't have some down time too? Lighten up.

If you've been here since '07, you should know that Deej isn't a punk who only thinks about the "game of the month".
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:52:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 6:55:55 AM EDT by JavaHiGH]
I play my xbox360 on the same 22" lcd computer monitor that I use for my pc using an HDMI switch and a pair of turtle beach wireless headphones. I play quite a few multiplayer first person shooters and do better at my monitor than trying to play on my 46" tv sitting on the couch.

ETA: I believe the HDMI switch I have is HDCP compliant so it also works with my ps3.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:06 AM EDT

Wireless headphones. I bought a pair for my son during summer vacation since I work from home in our tiny apartment, and they worked fantastically.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:56:48 AM EDT
As others have said, a PS3 without an HDTV is kind of a waste.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:57:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Amontgomery:

One thing though, look around and find a MGS4 Bundle or earlier 20gig or 60gig launch version(you can upgrade your HDD up to 750gig- as long as a 2.5 laptop drive is made for the size). They should be decently cheep but have BC with the old PS2 games so you don't have to toss all the old games you have accumulated over the past few years owning a PS2. It's nice to be able to play all PS games on one system.

wat?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:58:55 AM EDT

Holy poop.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6463221&CatId=3648

Perfect for you, deej. 16" and 109 dollars.

That refresh rate is not going to be good for games.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:01:27 AM EDT
get some fancy wireless headphones and use the family tv if you need.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:02:16 AM EDT
I had my PS3 before I got a hdtv, looked craptacular on my 32" crt sony triniton. Quickly started using my 24" pc monitor instead.

I had a hard time reading text on my 32" crt I'd imagine you wont be able to read a thing on a 13".
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:03:34 AM EDT

They work great, if you don't need actual TV reception you can get a monitor with HDMI ports for cheap in the 20" range.

Just make sure whatever you buy is HDCP compliant.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:03:45 AM EDT

wat?

Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle.

It's a PS3+Game bundle. The game is amazing. I have more hours in to MGS4 than I do any other PS3 game.

I recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:05:11 AM EDT
I second the HDTV in the living room + headphones idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:19:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jakezor:

1) HDTV
2) Headphones
3)Bean bag chair
4) ????
5) PROFIT!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:37:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:50:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Credge:

wat?

Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle.

It's a PS3+Game bundle. The game is amazing. I have more hours in to MGS4 than I do any other PS3 game.

I recommend it.

What this guy said.

It comes with a BC(Backwards Compatible) 80gig PS3, which is worth the price of the bundle on its own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:02:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jakezor:

1) HDTV
2) Headphones
3)Bean bag chair
4) ????
5) PROFIT!

#4 = pizza rolls + 2L of tahitian treat
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top