Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2010 5:03:32 PM EDT
Have you ever sued anyone?  Or been sued by anyone?  Or had to be a witness in a lawsuit (not criminal)?

If so, what happened?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I am currently suing somebody.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I sued someone for running there car into one of my rental homes.  I won the case for 821 bucks
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes , won
cliff notes:
car accident ,
other driver's fault ,
maxed out his ins. ,
our ins. co wouldn't pay under our under insured clause ,
had to sue him & our ins.co, to get our ins.co. to pay
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to testify as a character witness in a criminal case –– not exactly what you wanted.

BTW, the character was a cat  (i.e. domestic feline) that one of my neighbors was upset about - she convinced the local police that it was a dangerous animal and had my other neighbor charged with harboring a dangerous animal.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, deadbeat tenants.  Three times in small claims court, I won each time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Does being sued for divorce count?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, but I don't want to talk about it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Have you ever sued anyone? Or been sued by anyone?  Or had to be a witness in a lawsuit (not criminal)?
If so, what happened?

NO.  Yes.  Many times.
Most of the lawsuits I am/was involved in are related to the company I work for.  One was against me personally but involved the company I work for and the cases were rolled together by the judge (company paid for my representation).  Almost all were settled out of court.  The few that went to trial were fun.  Lawyers, well, where's Aimless?  

I've been involved with everything from worker's comp. (most of them), discrimination, sexual harassment, OSHA, the EPA, witness to various actions that I got dragged into, contract disputes between unions, union grievances, contract issues with clients, the French, ugghhhhh.

Sometimes working for a small company is rewarding because you get to wear a lot of hats.  Other times you want to throw a few of those hats in the trash.

ETA: Those ambulance chaser attorneys that have billboards up and TV ads everywhere must make a fortune off of unsuspecting folks.  What's their take; 40-45 %?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, won the case and was awarded a settelement of about $6500.

Haven't seen a dime, never sue someone who doesn't own anything in their name.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep

I was a Yankee in the south

I had a local pass me on a double line and hit someone else head on

Me being the Yankee was at fault.
(since I did a u turn 1/2 mile prior and the local felt
that me driving 50 in a 45 was not fast enough for him)

The guy who got hit sued my insurance covered it,
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Never been sued.

Came close to waging a lawsuit against someone else once, but was advised by my attorney to drop it.  In the end, that turned out to be good advice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Sued my partners, sued tenants, sued a lawyer. (Real estate fraud on his part) Won all three times.  Never been sued.

Sat in the witness chair hundreds of times.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:46:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Got sued by a welfare/disability leech who hit me on the wrong side of the road to pay for his medical expenses and such, $30,000 worth (though his receipts only added up to $9,000)
He failed miserably when my State Farm rep hired a reconstructionist that showed it was his fault, and then his lawyer's reconstructionist that said the same thing, but they dropped him for the trial and we picked him up for free
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I was sued by direct TV for "allegedly" hacking there cards

$3500 to settle with them. Or $15000 for a lawyer to fight it

what would you choose
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I sat around the courthouse hallway for quite awhile before I became suspicious, the judge had too many people waiting in the hallway for any trials or hearings to be on the calendar, I asked the law clerk and he told me the case was just on for a conference
'What? Joe Asshole subpoenaed me, he can't subpoena for a conference."
'Nope (clerk didn't really seem to give a shit about this chicanery though)"

I walked out the door, I wish I had demanded to talk to the judge and asked for sanctions, or at least my hourly rate for sitting around; but I had other work to do and had an hour drive back to the office anyway, so I just left.  I never have gotten a chance to get that guy back.

You need to start a thread on some of the shitty things lawyers do to each other.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

what would you choose

Not saying I did that and got that letter, but I suppose I would have contacted a lawyer and had him send off letters of response.  I then suppose they would have stopped bothering me all together.

Of course in this hypothetical situation, they may have had more evidence against you then the purchase of a smart card programmer.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep. Twice. Both dismissed by Federal Judges.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Sued once at work.
Our agency was eventually removed from the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I worked in an auto insurance company and had claims that went to litigation.  

never been a plaintiff or defendant though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

what would you choose

Where cards?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I sued my former landlord for a cleaning/damage deposit, and won.

I helped my mom sue her HOA.  We won.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#25]
an artist whos songs i released on my record label used some unauthorized clips from another artist. One of the biggest producers and labels in the world for the genre.  Someone noticed it and emailed me and i had the release pulled from stores immediately. This was within hours of thee release hitting the stores so sales were only around 50 dollars so far.

I was contacted days later by the label in germany that owned the rights to the clip used.  I told them i would send them all profits made and that it was out of all stores.  They proceeded to sue me through german courts ad got a judgement for 1000 euros against me.  I told them to pound sand and nothing ever came of it.  I suppose i should probably never go over to germany or they might get me for it but they can kiss my american ass with their german lawsuit.  This was about three years ago and i never heard anything more about it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Does divorce count? That's technically a suit...

3 times here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I would strongly suggest avoiding, if you can. Sometimes it has to be done though. You will be very disappointed in the way and in the speed at which the  legal systems works.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes.  Co-defendant along with the company I worked for.  After five years of wrangling, had a series of depositions with the Plaintiff's attorneys, which led to a very small settlement and case dismissed.  It was Pure BS.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#30]
If your doing the deed get ready to give up 35% of the recovery to the dick with the tie if you win, and at least $1500.00 If'en you lose.

Moral of the story, if your going to fo.... fo big

good luck

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#31]
never have sued anyone, never been sued - but it's been threatened a few times [:// , in my line of work , I have to tell people things that they don't want to hear ... I do NDT inspections
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have you ever sued anyone?  Or been sued by anyone?  Or had to be a witness in a lawsuit (not criminal)?

If so, what happened?

No.N/A .
Yes...a "few" times. I won them all (never had a lawyer...even had one of the other plaintiffs lawyer take me to the side and ask..."what lawyer due you know and is helping you with this case?"...he did not believe me when I told him the local library -this was before the "internet"-).
Yes. Dudes did not get what they deserved...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes in small claims and won.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#36]

That was nice Pic

If your ever this way.... you have a beer and a bunk
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Ex GF took me to small claims court and filed a frivolous domestic protective order.

Under advise from my attorney, I counter sued for an amount larger than small claims court could handle because the DPO deprived me of my 2nd Amendment Civil Rights (possessing firearms while under a DPO is a felony in NC).

The counter suit required case to be moved to district court, requiring her to get an attorney, or drop the charges.  She dropped the charges, and so did I.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I was the plaintiff for a case of back rent from a deadbeat roommate, I won.

I was the defendant  for a case of a car accident with a boat in a parking lot, I lost on a 60%/40% split.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Been to court 3 times and won each time. The best thing to do is resolve the conflict, but sometimes the other party is unreasonable, greedy, etc and it becomes neccessary to hire a lawyer to defend yourself. This is the only legal means of resolution. Shooting the other party is illegal. even if you win you still loose, because the cost of the fight is not always paid by the other party.Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I have been sued in Federal Court but won.

I have filed a lawsuit , but settled out of court on a dog bite. No big money or anything just for medical and new jeans.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I've sued and been sued.  Both ended up getting settled before going to court.  Thank god, I wouldn't wish the process on anyone.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I've sued and been sued.  Both ended up getting settled before going to court.  Thank god, I wouldn't wish the process on anyone.

Eh.  For work it is business as usual.  Everyone thinks company X has deeeeeeep pockets because they write their paycheck and they pay for insurance.  Obviously they were wronged in some way so start paying Mr. or Ms. moneybags.

Getting sued personally sucked.  Of course I was lucky with how that one worked out but still, it sucked.  People think they are wronged because it was Tuesday and the sun was shining but they had to be at work.  Such is life.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was subpoenaed because I had drafted a contract that no one ever signed.  My client's new dimwit attorney thought that he would show that the terms of what I wrote were so different than what his client eventually agreed to that that would be proof of his client being extorted into signing a different contract signed years later that i had nothing to do with  I sat around the courthouse hallway for quite awhile before I became suspicious, the judge had too many people waiting in the hallway for any trials or hearings to be on the calendar, I asked the law clerk and he told me the case was just on for a conference
'What? Joe Asshole subpoenaed me, he can't subpoena for a conference."
'Nope (clerk didn't really seem to give a shit about this chicanery though)"

I walked out the door, I wish I had demanded to talk to the judge and asked for sanctions, or at least my hourly rate for sitting around; but I had other work to do and had an hour drive back to the office anyway, so I just left.  I never have gotten a chance to get that guy back.

So basically the guy served you with a fraudulent "subpoena"?  What a jackass...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes.  I spent about half as much money defending myself as I would have if I'd have just paid the plaintiff.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#46]

First attempt- 50 something guy runs a red and hits me.  I was 17 at the time.  He sues me in small claims court.  We get there and he asks me to just pay him and "we don't even have to go in".  I stood up and said fuck this, let's talk to the judge.  he dropped it.  

Second attempt- minor t bone accident.  I was 18 and a 20 year old t-boned me.  It was a freak kind of deal where we were both not paying attention.  I think we both got a ticket actually.  A week later his mom calls me.  Asked to speak to my mom. Nope.  Demands it.  Nope.  Threatens to sue me.  Go ahead.  Threatens to sue my parents.  "For what?" I ask.  "Well they own the car don't they?" Nope.  "It's their insurance right?" Nope.  I tell her all she has is me, a senior in high school, making minimum wage, with a car thats worth about $400 at most now that her son fucked it up.  She was outraged that my parents would allow such a thing.  Sadly, I was not quick whited enough to point out the reason things were this way was to avoid legal liability...  The Irony.  Never heard from her again.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Too bad it's 1873. Then you could sue HER.

Governor Ptomaine to Hedlay LaMarr.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes, I have been sued twice over unpaid bills. I lost
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes, medical neglect, - lawyer screaming at my dying wife during deposition, then the lawyer spent 5 hours playing " what kind of scumbag are you " with me.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Yes, deadbeat tenants.  Three times in small claims court, I won each time.

Your doing good.  I've got probably 15 judgments in the last three years.  I wish they would pay.  I sure can use the 6 or 7K that's owed to me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top