Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 4:40:05 PM EDT
I spent the weekend with the NJ chapter of the BMW national club.  Summit Point's Shenandoah circuit has 22 turns, lots of off-camber stuff, elevation change and blind apexes.  The mix is great for honing one's driving skills (as well as showing your development needs).   Predominantly BMWs - there was (and always is) quite a mix of cars.  High RPM, light cars with very superb suspensions do great here.

Here are some pics from the weekend:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
A fucking corvette...classy. Not a bmw fan but really.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested how the NSX did?  Only reason I ask was that an NSX was totaled at the local road track earlier this year.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
How big is the track?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interested how the NSX did?  Only reason I ask was that an NSX was totaled at the local road track earlier this year.  

The NSX is dependent upon the driver - as is the case with pretty much every car at this track.  I was out with one NSX (there were two) and he hung with me most of the session.  Good driver with excellent technique and very smooth and consistent.  Another NSX is was out with was a little slower - but no slouch.  I'm guessing (but do not know) that the suspensions on both have been modified.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How big is the track?

Shenandoah is 2.2 miles in length.  It has a replica of the Nürburgring Nordschleife's famous banked Karussell turn with 20 degrees of banking.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Summit Point Raceway is my local track.  Lots of cool stuff going on there most weekends.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Good stuff!  I'll be up there in a couple weeks with the Audi club. Hoping the cool weather sticks around.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Summit Point Raceway is my local track.  Lots of cool stuff going on there most weekends.

They were running bikes on the Main circuit this weekend.  Crashes both days and Life Flight helos both times.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I spent the weekend with the NJ chapter of the BMW national club.  Summit Point's Shenandoah circuit has 22 turns, lots of off-camber stuff, elevation change and blind apexes.  The mix is great for honing one's driving skills (as well as showing your development needs).   Predominantly BMWs - there was (and always is) quite a mix of cars.  High RPM, light cars with very superb suspensions do great here.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/Eyesofsilver/shenandoah_circuit.gif

Here are some pics of me from the weekend:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/share/files/3/5/0/0/PriusRaceCar.jpg

Wut?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

Whoa! my bad! wrong pic!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
how much does it cost.. i want to run my cobalt SS once just to say i did it
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

Whoa! my bad! wrong pic!

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/galleries/data/media/108/miata.jpg

I'm digging your ride man:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

Whoa! my bad! wrong pic!

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/galleries/data/media/108/miata.jpg

Looks like something Piccolo would drive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#16]
E30s and 02s are the sex! Love them! Great pictures, I haven't been on Summit in a decade. Now you have given me an itch...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ok....I now officially hate you.

Don't see many Lotuses around. I hear that the pictured model runs like a raped ape.

There were two this weekend - but not in my run group.  They were made for this track.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Too many right turns.  Need more wreck action.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn I miss my E36 M3

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The BMW club is about $200/day.  You'll probably want to find a commercial high performance driver education entity that has events at a venue near you.  Keep in mind that a HPDE is about learning driving skills and improving as a driver - not about going out on the track and going fast.  Dialing up the speed at the track without parallel learning can and does have bad outcomes.

Watkins Glen:  Early entry into a corner...ran out of track and hit the ARMCO barrier:

Summit Main:  Early entry into a corner...ran out of track and entered grass...over-corrected steering, slowed and then the added steering took effect...crossed back over the track... hit opposite tire wall and rolled over  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The BMW club is about $200/day.  You'll probably want to find a commercial high performance driver education entity that has events at a venue near you.  Keep in mind that a HPDE is about learning driving skills and improving as a driver - not about going out on the track and going fast.  Dialing up the speed at the track without parallel learning can and does have bad outcomes.

i live 10 miles from summit point lol

i also want to run at mason dixon..i think its $30
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I sho do like me some classic 3 series
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i live 10 miles from summit point lol

i also want to run at mason dixon..i think its $30

Check out "Friday at The Track".  They run Friday events on Summit Main.  I recommend that you ask for an instructor when you register.  I haven't done FATT - but secondhand info is that their run groups have a higher spread of speed - and that can make it dicey.  Just FYI.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#24]
What does one's insurance say when one has an 'oopsie' on the track?

(I would love to do a day at one of those tracks, btw... good stuff )
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What does one's insurance say when one has an 'oopsie' on the track?

(I would love to do a day at one of those tracks, btw... good stuff )

"It depends".

HPDEs are not races and are not timed events.  They are schools.  

Some major carriers also do not cover events held on "surfaces otherwise used for racing".   You have to read your specific policy to know.  
For most "You are On Your Own".

Track insurance *is* available.  It runs about $190/day for a $30,000 car - depending on your experience level.  Less track experience = greater cost.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#26]
They had a Mercedes day at the track thing up here a year ago (old airport used for autocross or something) - I was pretty gentle with my ride, the guys in front of me went partial retard and got kicked out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Great pictures! The orange Deuce looks like nine kinds of fun!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But can you beat my ride? I didn't think so!!!

Too fast!!! Too Furious!!!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They had a Mercedes day at the track thing up here a year ago (old airport used for autocross or something) - I was pretty gentle with my ride, the guys in front of me went partial retard and got kicked out.

For most clubs (Porsche, BMW, Audi etc) - if you put 2 wheels off... you must come into the pits for inspection.  4 wheels off and you come into the pits for a discussion about your driving.  Do it twice and you are done for the weekend.

The better schools don't tolerate BS driving.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Here are two more shots of it:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top