Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/12/2010 3:26:24 PM EDT
So just a question to arfcom. Would you rather have a restored classic car or a new 2010/2011 car?

Would you rather restore a classic car or buy a new car?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say now, everything new out there is shit now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#2]
100% win in the 'new' car category.

Safer, better gas mileage, better technology, etc.

About the only thing one could argue successfully for a restored older car is possible the ease of working on it (in some regards).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
To drive every day? New.

To love and admire? Restore.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
110% go with the new car. Old restored stuff is still old. Even a POS Ford Siesta is reliable to a certain extent (it is a Ford after all).
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
New.  Better yet, a new custom built vehicle.

Old vehicles are shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#6]
If we're talking an Overhaulin' style restoration then it's old car, hands down.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I wish I had my old '40 Ford coupe back ! Bad mistake to let that one go.................
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
a restored classic will actually appreciate in value a new car not so much
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#9]
What are my choices? a new dodge challenger or an old one? I choose the new one, and old GTO or a new one? I will take an old one please, a new Camaro? or an old model? I will take a new one....same for the Mustang...I like the new ones.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
New car.  Old ones (at least well-maintained ones) may have cachet and style, but new cars have comfort, economy, handling and safety in their favor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to have a old car with some of the modern conveniences in it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
New. No warranty on an old car.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]
New car
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If the old one has AC then the old one is fine.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Restored 1957 Chevy BelAire 2 door hardtop
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#16]
new
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#17]
60's muscle car restored any day of the week!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Depends on the classic car, but I'd have to seriously look at that route. less to go wrong, easier to fix when it does, and it doesn't do all those things that modern cars do that drive me nuts, like automatically locking the doors and shifting for me.

Give me simplicity, not excess weight and complexity.

If I can get a brand new car with no airbags, a manual transmission, no power locks, no power windows, no sat nav, no traction control, no advanced computerized engine controls, and weight of less than 2000 lbs, then I'll take that.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
new

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Leave the older cars to the gearheads...your better off buying a new muscle car these days.

Compare the 1970 Mustang Boss to a base model 2011 Mustang V6.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/09/new-2011-ford-mustang-v6-vs-1970-boss-302-whos-the-real-boss.html

The 2011 model with just the V6 has more horsepower, is just as fast if not faster, handles better, is more reliable, is much safer, and comes with many more features like traction control, A/C, nice stereo, leather seats and excellent styling. It's just an all around better car that I can drive everyday and get decent mileage with.

I thought about buying an original Mustang instead of getting a new one...because I always wanted one...then I test drove the new V6 model and fell in love with the car...
I bought a new one a few days later.

My friend in highschool had a 1979 Camaro that he dropped a 400 small block into....he only ran 16 second quarter miles with the thing and it got 10 miles/gallon.
My new Mustang with the base engine smokes that thing.

The new 5.0 motor is 411 horse and runs a 12 second 1/4....that's just scary fast....if your buying the car to race, I'd get that one....
I just wanted something that was fun to drive and gets out of it's own shadow....not interested in street racing; besides the wife would lose control of a car with that much power.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Old restored car or truck they keep their value they will be reliable as long as you maintain them. When they do breack it's usualy predictable and easy to fix and maintain. You have a great deal of interoperability in an old car that you don't always get with a new car. When they are past their smog inspection date you can do with them what you please. BTW way I drive a 45 year old truck as a daily driver. The biggest diffrence is that I know the vehicle inside and out and at the end of the day i am the best mechanic for it. Most modern conviences I can live without but I also don't sit down to pee either.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#22]
My dream car would be a '73 corvette completely restored with an updated engine, suspension and interior.
But unsess I had all the money I could ever need, I'd buy a new porsche before I'd actually sink money into that kind of project.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]
All but two of my cars are 1972 ~ 1960.

My one "modern" car is a '95, but I pulled out the airbags, power steering, A/C, ect.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#24]

The newer one is my daily.  You guys can keep your late modeled crap,  that deuce is faster and handles better than 98% of the cars you guys own.

I'm building a 63 Chevy stepside with a big block right now cause everyone should have a truck and this just doesn't quite cut it,

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Old restored car or truck they keep their value they will be reliable as long as you maintain them. When they do breack it's usualy predictable and easy to fix and maintain. You have a great deal of interoperability in an old car that you don't always get with a new car. When they are past their smog inspection date you can do with them what you please. BTW way I drive a 45 year old truck as a daily driver. The biggest diffrence is that I know the vehicle inside and out and at the end of the day i am the best mechanic for it. Most modern conviences I can live without but I also don't sit down to pee either.

I used to think that way...untilI bought my first first modern vehicle.

All I do is change the fluids, brakes and tires....and do the plugs, belts and hoses at about 100K....
No plugs, no tuneups, no adjustments....and it's been ultra reliable...always starts and idles smoothly.

You can have your 45 year old truck...it's cool and all, but I don't miss older vehicles anymore.

I don't mind not having to do work on the car...more time to do other stuff....like go fishing
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

About the only thing one could argue successfully for a restored older car is possible the ease of working on it (in some regards).

Which you will do with frequency.

Give me today's technology, comfort, safety, silence, and looks over a classic POS any day!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Own a 68 Camaro, when it's finished, it's my DD.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#29]
im partially favorable toward toyotas and kias and nissans
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd like to have my dad's 1950 Olds Rocket 88 that's rotting away in storage restored ... just to drive on those rare occasions when I didn't have a minivan full of kids to take somewhere lol!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the idea of being able to fix my car with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers so the classic car appeals to me.  If my mechanical skills were better I would have no problem having one as a daily driver.  Plus you would be saving a classic from the crusher.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I am currently torn between a '67 GTO and a '68 Camaro....if only I had the money to get one.....or both.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:29:30 PM EDT
[#33]
hmmmm how about old car body panels on new car chassis and motor and trans. eta someone already beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Restored Classic Car ...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Daily driver: New Tacoma.

Fun car: NA Miata.

If I won the lottery I'd send the Miata to one of those 'take the whole damned thing apart and make it new again' shops.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd rather buy a new car than HAVE to restore a old one. but if I could have the choice of either in new condition for the same price I'd rather have the classic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
hmmmm how about old car body panels on new car chassis and motor and trans. eta someone already beat me to it.

I'd love a '67 or '68 Mustang fastback with a 2011 5.0 drivetrain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I've had classic cars, and I would go new.  (Unless I get the fully restored classic of my choice, AND a fulltime mechanic to maintain it.)
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To drive every day? New.

To love and admire? Restore.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If the old one has AC then the old one is fine.

This guy gets it!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Everyday driver - New
Toy - Muscle  
My Baby.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#42]
If the old car is a 1987 GNX, then I would take the old one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Ancestor worship is a stupid thing. (unless Obama gets his way and you are looking back from year 2035). Old cars SUCK. They don't stop well, don't corner well, often don't ride well, often have improper suspension geometry, doors don't fit well, don't seal at all etc. The engines were often made out of 100% cast iron. Including valve guides and valve seats. No wonder they only ran well for a short while. Carbs often flooded the engines when parked on hot days. Cold starts were often a hit or miss affair.

But the worst thing of all,,,, most old cars had the worlds most uncomfortable seats. Made with springs, horse hair, and vinyl.

Today, one can purchase anything from a diesel Jetta or Honda Accord to a super hot EVO or Vette. Each car will have excellent brakes, will out corner the best from the 60's, will achieve world class fuel economy, will be comfortable and quiet, and reliable.

I owned a number of "classic" cars. They all sucked, regardless of mod levels and money thrown at them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#45]
No A/C
No power steering
No sound system
Mercedes OM314 Diesel
4 speed manual
Push button starter

My God I love her........

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:47:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Restored old car. Today most of the cars look the same, no matter who makes them,  Fords, GM, Toyota, Nissan etc In good old days, you could tell a Buick from a Pontiac, a Mercury from a Ford, etc from a block away. Now a days you need to walk up to the car, and actually look on the name plates to see what it is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This. Below is my daily driver, I can keep her running indefinately. I could also restore her for less than the price of a new truck and have a better than new truck when I was done. Parts are plentiful and cheap, insurance is cheap, registration is $22 a year, oh and she does have AC!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ancestor worship is a stupid thing. (unless Obama gets his way and you are looking back from year 2035). Old cars SUCK. They don't stop well, don't corner well, often don't ride well, often have improper suspension geometry, doors don't fit well, don't seal at all etc. The engines were often made out of 100% cast iron. Including valve guides and valve seats. No wonder they only ran well for a short while. Carbs often flooded the engines when parked on hot days. Cold starts were often a hit or miss affair.

But the worst thing of all,,,, most old cars had the worlds most uncomfortable seats. Made with springs, horse hair, and vinyl.

Today, one can purchase anything from a diesel Jetta or Honda Accord to a super hot EVO or Vette. Each car will have excellent brakes, will out corner the best from the 60's, will achieve world class fuel economy, will be comfortable and quiet, and reliable.

I owned a number of "classic" cars. They all sucked, regardless of mod levels and money thrown at them.

You weren't building them right,  that deuce up there that I posted has great brakes ( front's came off a volvo wagon,  rears off the front of a VW rabbit ),  corners like it's on rails,  rides nice,  doesn't leak in the winter and doors that close with two fingers of pressure.   It'll hang right with a new Corvette in a straight line and get's 35 mpg on the hwy.  It has some Momo sport buckets that are some of the most comfortable seats ever and I'd jump in it and drive to Florida right now and not even think about bringing any tools except for what came in the factory pouch.

Old cars don't suck,  the folks building them do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#49]
A new car.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Below is my daily driver, I can keep her running indefinately. I could also restore her for less than the price of a new truck and have a better than new truck when I was done. Parts are plentiful and cheap, insurance is cheap, registration is $22 a year, oh and she does have AC!

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l260/my65pan/000_0920.jpg

Man. I don't even know what to say, except, DEAD SEXY. Very nice sir!

Oh, and classic. Much preferable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top