Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 9:01:07 PM EDT
I'm interested to know if these chiles have the same apricot aroma/flavor as the "capsicum chinense" species (habanero, scotch bonnet, datil, etc.)

There seems to be a lot of disagreement as to whether or not the jolokia is a "capsicum chinense", a "capsicum frutescens" or an inter-species hybrid.

Anyway, do they smell and taste like habs?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Peppers like that come from man's eternal need for one-upmanship. Oh yeah? You think that thing's hot? Eat one of these. I bred them myself-they're fantastic, but you'll lose all the skin in your mouth, throat and colon. Yes, that's right, my friend. It will be like a snake shedding it's skin, but instead of a snake, it will be the lining of your intestines. I'll bet you can't eat more than 2 of them!

And some dumb fucker says "Ok, hold my beer and watch this!", hopefully on camera, so that we can amuse ourselves with his pain.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite is the Fatalii chili, it's a member of capsicum chinense

Wiki says hybrid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia_pepper

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#5]
About a year ago myself and 6 or 7 other Marines were sitting around the shop when another guy brought in that pepper and the trash talk started. Eventually I said I would eat the damn thing. The rules were 25 chews and then swallow... what happened next I wish on no man not even my worst enemy.

I made it to 20 chews before the juice really hit the back of my throat and that was game over.

1. Pepper was slowly forced out of my mouth
2. throat closed up could not swallow made it hard to breathe/ Dry Heaving began
3. What I can only assume is snot began pouring from any possible opening on my face...
4. Sweat started pouring down my head and I swear it felt like I was sweating out my ears
6. Tried the following for cooldown (unsuccessful) Yoohoo, Milk, white bread, water, ice, rice, yogurt.
7. ?????????
8. Profit! (25 bucks and a free breakfast sandwich)
!

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a pepper in my freezer from last year and a couple on the plant at the moment. I keep trying to find a volenteer but I can't even seem to find anyone that even likes regular hot peppers.

Pussies.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#7]
that pepper is death! sent a guy i know to the hospital
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Peppers like that come from man's eternal need for one-upmanship. Oh yeah? You think that thing's hot? Eat one of these. I bred them myself-they're fantastic, but you'll lose all the skin in your mouth, throat and colon. Yes, that's right, my friend. It will be like a snake shedding it's skin, but instead of a snake, it will be the lining of your intestines. I'll bet you can't eat more than 2 of them!

And some dumb fucker says "Ok, hold my beer and watch this!", hopefully on camera, so that we can amuse ourselves with his pain.

Well done....

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I love hot peppers. I eat hotter stuff than the people I know.  I ain't touching that shit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
In  India, they plant those things around the edges of the fields to keep the damned elephants from eating the crops!

I won't even consider attempting even the smallest taste of a pepper that's such a rampaging badass that elephants won't fuck with it.

Supposedly, bird can't sense the heat of peppers.  So the next time you're at the park, feeding pigeons, toss out a few chunks of these

peppers and see if they'll eat them.   If so,  watch the bird very carefully.   It could be very entertaining.

CJ
ield to keep the damned elephants from eating the crops!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:09:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm growing some. As far as flavor goes, I suppose the first 1/2 second is like a habanero. After that there is not taste, only burn. Seriously. I brought one into work a week ago as a who's got the balls. I cut it into rings and oh my God. I've grown really hot habaneros and chilies before but forget those. Matching any other pepper to a Ghost pepper is like matching a 22 to a 308 by way of kick ass.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

... and that about sums it up.

I cannot fathom being able to distinguish a subtlety like flavor or aroma let alone whether or not it's apricot when trying to deal with the fire from a naga holokia pepper.

I've grown them also. Anyone who grows them will taste them just see if their reputation is warranted... it is. And there's no convincing others, they just have to try one for themselves, which they will.

It's kinda like... don't hit your self with that hammer, it's gonna hurt. They ignore you, pick up the hammer and give themselves a good ol' smack in the face, just to see if it's as bad as you say... it is.

Recently in a spice shop they had jars of them for sale at the counter. I had to laugh. The lady obviously had never tasted one. I commented that the jar was a life time's supply of pain! I have a jar in the freezer for what reason I cannot fathom other than to have them. No way would I ever 'serve' them to anyone. I've been told that big African parrots and some other birds don't have the taste receptors for heat like humans but still, I'd never even inflict such an experience on an innocent creature if there was even the most remote chance they'd feel the pain or sensations that the pepper will induce.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I would not even touch a cut ghost pepper and then lick my finger even AFTER washing it once.   I can handle hot, up to the Dave's Insanity Sauce level,  but I'm not into PAIN.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I found an Indian newspaper website that featured a woman eating FIFTY TWO bhut jolikias in TWO MINUTES but not before rubbing the seeds and placenta IN HER EYES.

That said, the "one upmanship" thing is pretty sound advice. I've purchased and made hot sauce with Red Savina habaneros (the chile that the Jolokias nudged out) and even those don't seem to have as much flavor as regular old habaneros grown from Wally World seedlings.

If someone gives me some jolokias, I might make some diluted sauce out of them but I don't think I'll consider growing them. I have to give away 90% of the habs I grow already as they're so prolific.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found an Indian newspaper website that featured a woman eating FIFTY TWO bhut jolikias in TWO MINUTES but not before rubbing the seeds and placenta IN HER EYES.

That said, the "one upmanship" thing is pretty sound advice. I've purchased and made hot sauce with Red Savina habaneros (the chile that the Jolokias nudged out) and even those don't seem to have as much flavor as regular old habaneros grown from Wally World seedlings.

If someone gives me some jolokias, I might make some diluted sauce out of them but I don't think I'll consider growing them. I have to give away 90% of the habs I grow as they're so prolific.

yeah her kid looked fucked up too.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Tried one once. Mouth was under the faucet for a while.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Reimer's Seeds has a vast selection of Capsicum Chinense and Jolokia seeds.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I made a curry/chili once with four habaneros, and a shit load of cayenne powder and red pepper flakes and I barely felt any heat.  I've been meaning to try the ghost pepper.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You eat one and tell me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxT2XeXgLg

What's with the 2 stuffed dogs and fake alligator?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:25:37 AM EDT
[#20]
<Ralph Wiggum> It tastes like... burning! </Ralph Wiggum>
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In  India, they plant those things around the edges of the fields to keep the damned elephants from eating the crops!

I won't even consider attempting even the smallest taste of a pepper that's such a rampaging badass that elephants won't fuck with it.

Supposedly, bird can't sense the heat of peppers.  So the next time you're at the park, feeding pigeons, toss out a few chunks of these
peppers and see if they'll eat them.   If so,  watch the bird very carefully.   It could be very entertaining.

CJ

Birds don't register capsicum, all they get is delicious pepper flavor without the heat.  Bird digestive systems will pass pepper seeds whole, so that birds eating the fruit of pepper plants will disseminate them where they poop.

Mammal digestive tracts, on the other hand, destroy pepper seeds.  It's theorized that the capsicum in peppers evolved as a way to prevent mammals from eating the seeds without precluding dispersal by birds.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Reimer's Seeds has a vast selection of Capsicum Chinense and Jolokia seeds.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/

I recommend these guys.

http://www.greenhousebusiness.com/bhjoseandpl.html

A heads up on growing from seeds. I started mine in December, on top of a board in pots on top of my furnace. It provided a nice heat source. You may want a heat pad. I mention December as they can take a month just to germinate. All are almost ready for picking. In September.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You eat one and tell me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhxT2XeXgLg

is there a sniper at the window 15 sec in the video?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit, I can't even find where to buy them around here.  I'd like to mix some into a wing sauce for some extra heat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CJ

Birds don't register capsicum, all they get is delicious pepper flavor without the heat.  Bird digestive systems will pass pepper seeds whole, so that birds eating the fruit of pepper plants will disseminate them where they poop.

Mammal digestive tracts, on the other hand, destroy pepper seeds.  It's theorized that the capsicum in peppers evolved as a way to prevent mammals from eating the seeds without precluding dispersal by birds.

Bullshit.  Peppers don't grow off my car
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Shit, I can't even find where to buy them around here.  I'd like to mix some into a wing sauce for some extra heat.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Some?

You might mix one into about a gallon and make it hotter than you can bear.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top