Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2010 8:26:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:35:37 PM EDT
i was ready to rant
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:45:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
i was ready to rant

I think we were all lining up our "Fo Time" posts.
Today would not be the day for some POS to pull an anti-American flag burning.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 9:56:14 PM EDT by Black-Tiger]
I have been at a flag burning ceremony; Boy Scouts were presenting two flags to be retired, the fire marshall was present to oversee the ceremony. Everything was conducted very professionally and with a sense of honor. Nobody takes so much care to "properly" dispose of a flag than we do.

Made me kinda misty for a second.

Not the troop that did it; the fire marshall said that we do not mutilate the flag in any which way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:44:28 PM EDT
Did they do so properly by first cutting the field from the stripes?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:49:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kcobean:

That is not necessarily part of the formal ceremony / procedure as I've seen it performed (and performed it). I'm not sure I'm even comfortable with that practice.

We retired several flags during my time in Scouts, and none of the flags were cut or mutilated in any way before being retired.

One had flown for months over an oil platform fire several years previous where there had been many fatalities, and was so saturated with oil that it flared almost instantly. It was a large flag, too - required eight people to handle as it was lowered over the fire (think it was 12 feet long).
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:49:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
i was ready to rant

Me too. Damn.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:51:15 PM EDT
i would have offered to help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:52:36 PM EDT

My BSA troop did.

It was emotional, yet an honor as well.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 10:01:35 PM EDT by kcobean]
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:

That is not necessarily part of the formal ceremony / procedure as I've seen it performed (and performed it). I'm not sure I'm even comfortable with that practice.

We retired several flags during my time in Scouts, and none of the flags were cut or mutilated in any way before being retired.

One had flown for months over an oil platform fire several years previous where there had been many fatalities, and was so saturated with oil that it flared almost instantly. It was a large flag, too - required eight people to handle as it was lowered over the fire (think it was 12 feet long).

According to military tradition, this is the proper way to retire a flag. Once the field is cut from the stripes, it is no longer a flag and is suitable for burning. Otherwise, it's just burning the flag.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:10:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:

According to military tradition, this is the proper way to retire a flag. Once the field is cut from the stripes, it is no longer a flag and is suitable for burning. Otherwise, it's just burning the flag.

Difference in philosophy and opinion then, I guess. For me, and from what I was taught and what I saw practiced, cutting the flag is mutilating the flag. It retires in pure flame the same way it served, whole and proud.

...on further thought, I suppose today of all days, we should stop and laugh at ourselves that we're semi-arguing about how to be as respectful as possible.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:21:15 PM EDT
its the thought that counts on both sides of that coin i suppose

"they" do it out of hate
"we" do it out of love
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:53:06 PM EDT

My Military Explorer post did, and cut the stripe's as your supposed to, we retired over 200 Flag's on that day, was "old" flag's collected by the VFW.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:56:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Phlather:
its the thought that counts on both sides of that coin i suppose

"they" do it out of hate
"we" do it out of love

big difference of how we do it, and how they do it.
Top Top