Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2010 4:01:23 PM EDT
Posted on the Onion after 9/11

On Sept.11, 2001, America was hit by an unprecedented attack on its shores. The devastation and loss of life is incalculable. It is clear to me, as it should be to all Americans, what our nation must do: Retaliate with blind, violent rage, striking back with a fury and vengeance the likes of which modern man has never seen.

We must launch every available missile at any nation in which the terrorists are rumored to be hiding. We must bomb every square inch of any country that may be harboring them. Then, when the thick, black smoke has finally cleared, we must bomb them all over again, reducing the rubble to its component atoms. If, in the midst of carpet-bombing a country, we find that it had no involvement in the Sept. 11 attack, so be it. Apologies can come later, but vengeance must be immediate.

After pummeling the holy living hell out of those fuckers with bombs, we should send in ground troops, armed to the teeth, to sweep through and exterminate anyone still alive who might have been involved. America's soldiers must be under orders to pump round after round into their bodies, pausing only to replace their clips. Only then will closure to this horrible event be possible. If we do not strike back fast and with as much military might as humanly possible, America will never be able to heal.

Some people argue that if we capture Osama bin Laden and his co-conspirators, we should bring them to justice before a U.N. tribunal. I say that to bring them before a civilized court is to raise them up to the level of humans. Terrible acts must be punished with terrible retribution. Are we going to humanely execute by lethal injection men who wantonly killed thousands of innocents? Instead, all of those who are guilty must be dipped in boiling fat and fed to dogs.

Many say that using a nuclear weapon on the nations that harbor such sub-human filth would be rash and irresponsible. To which I say, "Why use a nuclear weapon when we have hundreds in our nation's silos?" Should nuclear weapons be used? The question, really, is how many should be used, and can I push the buttons?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:09:32 PM EDT
And in doing so would make us no better then the extremists...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:11:00 PM EDT
The Onion is always good for a reality check.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:11:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalMOLONLABE:

No, it would make us victors.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:11:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cenpengenxer:

Yippee...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:11:54 PM EDT

But it would feel REALLY good!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:12:17 PM EDT

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:13:38 PM EDT
A little over the top since I'm not all about killing civilians, and they didn't really distinguish. However, I felt about the same way that day.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:14:55 PM EDT
I don't really see the satire in the article.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:15:06 PM EDT

Here you go.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:16:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EndlessSteven:

Here you go.

What's Pyrrhic if the good guys kill all the bad guys?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:18:08 PM EDT

considering that islamic culture is an evolutionary dead and completely unwilling to compromise with those that aren't, what could it hurt?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:19:05 PM EDT

Here you go.

Who exactly are the "bad guys"?

And, how do you plan on "killing them all"?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:19:52 PM EDT

What exactly would you say is the baseline for us to be "better than?"

The Pope?
The Buddha?
Some dude that's fond of arson?
Maybe we could just slip in a little bit of Charlie Manson... But only if they're "really bad people?"

I'm honestly curious about the "better than" argument. Perhaps you can give us a working definition... call it a national goal for behavior "better than" X.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:20:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By runcible:

Here you go.

Answer mine first, please.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:30:25 PM EDT

Here you go.

You realize to do so would require staining the American Flag with the blood of more people than Stalin, Hitler, and Mao killed put together right? They claim we are the great Satan, a monsterous people without morals or conscience. They want us to overreact to prove that point to the rest of the world....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:31:15 PM EDT

+1
Fight fire with fire
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:32:27 PM EDT

Here you go.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:32:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BR870:

Here you go.

You realize to do so would require staining the American Flag with the blood of more people than Stalin, Hitler, and Mao killed put together right? They claim we are the great Satan, a monsterous people without morals or conscience. They want us to overreact to prove that point to the rest of the world....

The rest of the world...that hates us any way.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:34:34 PM EDT
Surrender it's the only way.

Other wise you are just an 88

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:35:20 PM EDT

Here you go.

Again, what's Pyrrhic if the good guys kill all the bad guys? (Perhaps you missed this a few lines above.)

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:40:04 PM EDT

Most of the world hates us as it is... why the hell are we always so concerned with who's better than who? Have we been bred with some insecurity that makes us all fearful of what people perceive us to be? I don't need to be better than terrorists... I just want to be less dead than them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:41:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:

Here you go.

So the right answer is to kill more than Hitler, Stalin, and Mao put together?

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight the Islamists, or continue the WoT. But carpet bombing or glassing women and children? Do you think the Founding Fathers would have thought that was the right answer? If you are religious, would your God think that is the right thing to do?

We as a nation are better than them. Unlike them, we are not monsters...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:46:18 PM EDT

Here you go.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight the Islamists, or continue the WoT. But carpet bombing or glassing women and children? Do you think the Founding Fathers would have thought that was the right answer? If you are religious, would your God think that is the right thing to do?

You've lost the fight already by allowing labels assigned by others who do not necessarily share your interests determine your actions.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:47:42 PM EDT

The Onion is always good for a reality check.
Yeah, it sounds good until one really thinks about it for a second..

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:49:49 PM EDT

Here you go.

Again, what's Pyrrhic if the good guys kill all the bad guys? (Perhaps you missed this a few lines above.)

Dude, the article said:

"We must launch every available missile at any nation in which the terrorists are rumored to be hiding. We must bomb every square inch of any country that may be harboring them. Then, when the thick, black smoke has finally cleared, we must bomb them all over again, reducing the rubble to its component atoms. If, in the midst of carpet-bombing a country, we find that it had no involvement in the Sept. 11 attack, so be it. Apologies can come later, but vengeance must be immediate."

Thats a pretty fricking long list, starting with quite a few of our allies. You would literally have to bomb half of the world of the map. Hell, some of them are "rumored" to be hiding here, so I suppose we should "bomb every square inch" of here too just to make sure....

Guys, this is parody. The fact that you think it should be real is scary....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:50:33 PM EDT

Hitler, Stalin and Mao were aggressors, not under attack by barbarians bent on destroying civilization.

God has had no problem with collateral damage in the past. He can keep the good ones if he wants.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 5:06:28 PM EDT by GunLvrPHD]

"These are the tactics our enemies have chosen. I say give them all they want."––Gen. William Sherman

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw, and half a dozen other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."––Air Marshal Harris

"Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved."––Machiavelli

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:54:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

On Sept.11, 2001, America was hit by an unprecedented attack on its shores. The devastation and loss of life is incalculable. It is clear to me, as it should be to all Americans, what our nation must do: Retaliate with blind, violent rage, striking back with a fury and vengeance the likes of which modern man has never seen.

We must launch every available missile at any nation in which the terrorists are rumored to be hiding. We must bomb every square inch of any country that may be harboring them. Then, when the thick, black smoke has finally cleared, we must bomb them all over again, reducing the rubble to its component atoms. If, in the midst of carpet-bombing a country, we find that it had no involvement in the Sept. 11 attack, so be it. Apologies can come later, but vengeance must be immediate.

After pummeling the holy living hell out of those fuckers with bombs, we should send in ground troops, armed to the teeth, to sweep through and exterminate anyone still alive who might have been involved. America's soldiers must be under orders to pump round after round into their bodies, pausing only to replace their clips. Only then will closure to this horrible event be possible. If we do not strike back fast and with as much military might as humanly possible, America will never be able to heal.

Some people argue that if we capture Osama bin Laden and his co-conspirators, we should bring them to justice before a U.N. tribunal. I say that to bring them before a civilized court is to raise them up to the level of humans. Terrible acts must be punished with terrible retribution. Are we going to humanely execute by lethal injection men who wantonly killed thousands of innocents? Instead, all of those who are guilty must be dipped in boiling fat and fed to dogs.

Many say that using a nuclear weapon on the nations that harbor such sub-human filth would be rash and irresponsible. To which I say, "Why use a nuclear weapon when we have hundreds in our nation's silos?" Should nuclear weapons be used? The question, really, is how many should be used, and can I push the buttons?

How has nobody caught this yet?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:55:49 PM EDT

Here you go.

You've lost the fight already by allowing labels assigned by others who do not necessarily share your interests determine your actions.

The thing is, they don't have the power to defeat us. Sure, they can kill some of us. And that is an atrocity. But they are weak and impotent and have only their rage to console them, Its not like this is the USSR or some legitimate threat. Hell, they're not even North Korea. The fact that they have to resort to terrorism shows how impotent they truly are....

That is not to diminish those who have died. But destroying us as a nation as a whole is totally out of their league. You give them far more credit than I do....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:57:52 PM EDT

Here you go.

Nukes, nerve gas, bombs, artillery, HP bullets, knives, piano wire, ice picks, baseball bats, and bare hands.

Oh yeah, and fire. Lots of good ol' American fire.

You are aware this is a fight for civilization, don't you? We need to use whatever it takes, and it takes a lot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:59:51 PM EDT
I'm fine with blind rage.

If it weren't illegal, I may partisapate in some blind rage myself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:03:35 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

"We must launch every available missile at any nation in which the terrorists are rumored to be hiding. We must bomb every square inch of any country that may be harboring them. Then, when the thick, black smoke has finally cleared, we must bomb them all over again, reducing the rubble to its component atoms. If, in the midst of carpet-bombing a country, we find that it had no involvement in the Sept. 11 attack, so be it. Apologies can come later, but vengeance must be immediate."

Thats a pretty fricking long list, starting with quite a few of our allies. You would literally have to bomb half of the world of the map. Hell, some of them are "rumored" to be hiding here, so I suppose we should "bomb every square inch" of here too just to make sure....

You still haven't answered my question, if the good guys kill all the bad guys, how is that Pyrrhic? Because you haven't I can only conclude that you are either foggy as to whether or not you yourself are a "good guy" or your critical thinking cannot grasp the simple concept that when good confronts and destroys evil, good does not become evil.

I can see no other options if you maintain your position?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:04:59 PM EDT

War doesn't decide who is right. Only who is left.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:08:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ridge_Runner_5:

War doesn't decide who is right. Only who is left.
That may be true, but it doesn't make war unnecessary.

The winning of WWII isn't what made us "right". But it sure as hell was important.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:12:25 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

You still haven't answered my question, if the good guys kill all the bad guys, how is that Pyrrhic? Because you haven't I can only conclude that you are either foggy as to whether or not you yourself are a "good guy" or your critical thinking cannot grasp the simple concept that when good confronts and destroys evil, good does not become evil.

Wow... Really? Because I disagree with carpet bombing every "nation in which the terrorists are rumored to be hiding" that means I am foggy on whether I am a good guy? Really? The only one lacking in critical thinking here is you, since you keep trying to twist this into "good guys" and "bad guys". The article never said anything about killing only bad people. You added that... In fact it specifically said "If, in the midst of carpet-bombing a country, we find that it had no involvement in the Sept. 11 attack, so be it. Apologies can come later, but vengeance must be immediate."

Really, if you hold your position, maybe you should consider whether it is you that is foggy as to whether or not you yourself are a "good guy", because someone who is okay with "bombing countries that had no involvement in the Sept 11 attack" and just apologizing later is not a "good guy"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:14:14 PM EDT

The thing is, they don't have the power to defeat us. Sure, they can kill some of us. And that is an atrocity. But they are weak and impotent and have only their rage to console them, Its not like this is the USSR or some legitimate threat. Hell, they're not even North Korea. The fact that they have to resort to terrorism shows how impotent they truly are....

That is not to diminish those who have died. But destroying us as a nation as a whole is totally out of their league. You give them far more credit than I do....

Wake up. Much larger stakes are at risk than you allow yourself to believe.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:15:40 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

Wow... Really? Because I disagree with carpet bombing every "nation in which the terrorists are rumored to be hiding" that means I am foggy on whether I am a good guy? Really? The only one lacking in critical thinking here is you, since you keep trying to twist this into "good guys" and "bad guys". The article never said anything about killing only bad people. You added that... In fact it specifically said "If, in the midst of carpet-bombing a country, we find that it had no involvement in the Sept. 11 attack, so be it. Apologies can come later, but vengeance must be immediate."

Really, if you hold your position, maybe you should consider whether it is you that is foggy as to whether or not you yourself are a "good guy", because someone who is okay with "bombing countries that had no involvement in the Sept 11 attack" and just apologizing later is not a "good guy"

Please check your fly. Your moral equivalence is showing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:16:25 PM EDT
A wise general, not long ago opined:

"War means fighting. The business of the soldier is to fight. Armies are not called out to dig trenches, to throw up breastworks, to live in camps, but to find the enemy and strike him; to invade his country, and do him all possible damage in the shortest possible time. This will involve great destruction of life and property while it lasts; but such a war will of necessity be of brief continuance, and so would be an economy of life and property in the end."

––T. J. Jackson

Who would of thought, just 84 years later, this logic would play itself out when "a rain of ruin the likes of which the world has never seen" hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Otherwise, as this jihad drags on through generations, you will be left with a world bereft of the "...economy of life and property in the end."
Ask yourself this, Why are you stymied and struck dumb with your fear of using assymetric warfare to your advantage? Why do you permit the passage of time to transfer the technology to the enemy that you possess to bring this to a quick end, as it is most assuredly being done now? Why are you waiting to be "...brought down to their level.." or more accurately "...they be brought up to your level"?

Do you think NASA is making nice with the Middle Eastern kingdoms with empty hands? According to our leaders the NASA officials are transferring technology there only to make the Potentates feel good about themselves and their contributions to space technology.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:16:33 PM EDT

No. Remember that's how we used to fight war and actually WIN! If I remember correctly Admiral Willian F. (Bull) Halsey Jr. once said, “Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” Someone needs the balls in our military to requote him only substituting arabic for japanese. On 05-27-1945 which was the day after B-29's ordered by Lemay firebombed Tokyo, Lemay in an interview was asked about enemy casualties. He stated, "That would be 90,000 boiled, baked and burned!" He was talking about civilians and didn't even blink an eye. With this war the culture is the enemy sorry to say.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:17:50 PM EDT

Retarded video gamer living in his momma's basement.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:20:56 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

To be sure of killing all the bad guys (because they aren't all on a list somewhere in the Pentagon), you would have to commit genocide on a unprecedented scale.

The damage this would do to the world economy, and thus the people of the United States, would sure as hell make the victory Pyrrhic...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:29:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bigbene:

How has nobody caught this yet?

They're using Garands.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:32:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lancair:

Dude, the article said:

To be sure of killing all the bad guys (because they aren't all on a list somewhere in the Pentagon), you would have to commit genocide on a unprecedented scale.

The damage this would do to the world economy, and thus the people of the United States, would sure as hell make the victory Pyrrhic...
You're right. It's too bad there isn't a commonality, or some kind of convenient "handle" we could use to identify this particular strain of bad guy. If only there was something like that, that could be quickly used to distinguish this particular strain of bad guy from all of the good guys everywhere. It wouldn't have to be perfect, but it should allow us to potentially limit the collateral damage once it's decided that eliminating this bad guy strain is better than paying them off, and placating them with the false hopes they won't try to kill us.

If only that commonality existed.

If only....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:34:45 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

You're right. It's too bad there isn't a commonality, or some kind of convenient "handle" we could use to identify this particular strain of bad guy. If only there was something like that, that could be quickly used to distinguish this particular strain of bad guy from all of the good guys everywhere. It wouldn't have to be perfect, but it should allow us to potentially limit the collateral damage once it's decided that eliminating this bad guy strain is better than paying them off, and placating them with the false hopes they won't try to kill us.

If only....

Ah. You're one of those.

Never mind. You're past help.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:36:52 PM EDT

If the rest of the world hates us, then why are so many people trying to immigrate to the US?

You wouldn't jump at the chance to immigrate to a place you hate, like North Korea or Iran, would you?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:38:15 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

If only....

Ah. You're one of those.

Never mind. You're past help.

You mean an American? Yes. Guilty as charged. If you mean something else, please be specific.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:46:09 PM EDT
I believe what I hear on The Onion before what I hear on AM radio...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:48:01 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

If only....

Say what you mean don't dance.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:50:45 PM EDT

Here you go.

We sure didn't mind doing it to Japan...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:00:16 PM EDT

Dude, the article said:

If only....

Say what you mean don't dance.

I thought I did? I'll even further parse it, just for you.

The more I think about it, there really should be some kind of study, or commission paid for with public funding to get a better handle on this strain of bad guy and what makes them tick, tick, tick.

I think something like that, if we could only figure that out, that one....thing, that one...something, I don't know what to call it. But if we could just identify it, it might really be an aid in this whole WoT thing. If only...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top