Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/11/2010 3:35:27 PM EDT
...that cops never get speeding tickets, you're wrong.

I got one an hour ago. 68 in a 55.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So much for the laws not applying to you, huh?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The police chief in the town I once lived in, in the swing swerlin' state of N.J; tells a story about how he was given a ticket in a neighboring town, by an overenthusiastic cop, one day before he went into the police academy.  A number of years later, before he was chief and when he was on patrol, a car drove down the shoulder in order to avoid traffic.

You guy can finish the story from here and avoid me doing all that typing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And?

I was guilty as sin...probably would've been going faster on this particular road had the trooper not caught me mid-acceleration. I saw him, saw his brake lights, and I immediately pulled over. Waited for him to get to me, gave him my license/permit/insurance card.

I told him I was giving him my pistol permit because I had a pistol in the car, as I was an off-duty cop. He said, "Then you know how fast you were going?" I told him yes, 68 or 69.

He returned a few minutes later with the cite, explained the payment instructions to me, and ended the stop with, "Be careful."
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You will get out of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Do me a favor and slow down out there.

Oh, and press hard...there are 4 copies.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell the truth....you're screwing his wife....right???
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
in many types of jobs that involve driving, a speeding ticket could be the end of your job. how will the station react to this? you aren't in any danger of git'n in trouble at work for it are ya?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You will get out of it.

Actually, I'll either pay it or go to traffic school––whichever my supervisor likes best.

This was in Alabama––I work in Mississippi. I only know one state trooper over in Mobile, and I damn sure ain't calling him over something this petty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
in many types of jobs that involve driving, a speeding ticket could be the end of your job. how will the station react to this? you aren't in any danger of git'n in trouble at work for it are ya?

Doubtful, although I am still "probationary" at my agency. If they want to make bones about it, I have other options.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
That's weird...because when I sub-consult high-end, ultra-technical services I have to pay for it even though that's what I do.

And you didn't even get locked out of a forum for believing otherwise!!

ETA: That "locked out of BOTS forum" list is the TBL on ARFCOM BTW.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Isolated incident.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Is it true that your dog is bulletproof?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You will get out of it.

Actually, I'll either pay it or go to traffic school––whichever my supervisor likes best.

This was in Alabama––I work in Mississippi. I only know one state trooper over in Mobile, and I damn sure ain't calling him over something this petty.

How do you get the option of going to school?  I thought the only choice we had in MS was to pay it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#16]
OOPS!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
You will get out of it.

How do you get the option of going to school?  I thought the only choice we had in MS was to pay it.

No. There are traffic schools available in MS.

Keep in mind, though, that I received the ticket in Alabama. I'm subject to the laws and courts of Alabama. They offer traffic school, too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
They'll probably pay you for your time in court....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They'll probably pay you for your time in court....

Yes, they probably will––I'll be using comp time that I earned, though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Being out of state is the only reason you got it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:15:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Classic!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#22]
How is your dog?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I find the concept foreign.  You are probably trolling; this is the only conclusion I can draw from your tale.

I've gotten two since I became a policeman.  Shit gets expensive!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Being out of state is the only reason you got it.

You may be right, there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, you should know better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I do know better...better than to write speeding tickets!

Seriously, though: When I worked patrol, I hardly ever wrote speeding tickets (literally 7 or 8 in three years) because most of them were on roads where no accidents occurred. I figured the lack of accidents meant that speeding on those roads did not contribute to accidents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#27]
ARJJ,

Do you have the little Black sticker with the blue line on your ride?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I let other cops go and I never get tickets from other cops.  Job does have it's perks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Were you in uniform in your patrol car?

Then it doesn't count.

I wish I could pull over cops and have them write themselves tickets for speeding. Plenty of times I see them flying down the street without lights or siren on.  Yeah - law applies to you to Dano! Now write yourself a ticket and sign it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ARJJ,

Yes, 2"x3" with a 1" diameter BFL in the center.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do know better...better than to write speeding tickets!

Seriously, though: When I worked patrol, I hardly ever wrote speeding tickets (literally 7 or 8 in three years) because most of them were on roads where no accidents occurred. I figured the lack of accidents meant that speeding on those roads did not contribute to accidents.

Sounds fair to me.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARJJ,

Oh, shit!  A BFL with a thin blue line dividing it...that would be a perfect logo for the BOTS forum.  Like with the part the TBL divides totally missing.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#33]
quotas are a bitch
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Bad cop. No cookie for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARJJ,

Oh, shit!  A BFL with a thin blue line dividing it...that would be a perfect logo for the BOTS forum.  Like with the part the TBL divides totally missing.

I think it looks pretty nifty, but the 2"x3" size is a bit small.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ARJJ,

I think it looks pretty nifty, but the 2"x3" size is a bit small.

It is small...it's missing the part that matters.  The people.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Were you in uniform in your patrol car?

Then it doesn't count.

I wish I could pull over cops and have them write themselves tickets for speeding. Plenty of times I see them flying down the street without lights or siren on.  Yeah - law applies to you to Dano! Now write yourself a ticket and sign it.

No I was not in uniform and I was not in any patrol car. At my current assignment I don't have either.

As for cops going the speed limit, have you ever seen what happens when a marked unit goes the speed limit? You get a clusterfuck of angry drivers all packed into columns behind/beside the cop––which definitely increases the potential for a collision. So most of us choose to drive a bit over the speed limit to avoid the traffic snarl. Consider it a favor to you.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#38]

Dude, you know your not suppose to discuss the sticker outside LEO circles, and you know what the punishment is.  And you'll probably get this thread locked because of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Dude, you know your not suppose to discuss the sticker outside LEO circles, and you know what the punishment is.  And you'll probably get this thread locked because of it.

Not sure if serious?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:50:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious?

Do you really think everyone on earth doesnt know about that sticker?  Thin blue line and all?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if serious?

Do you really think everyone on earth doesnt know about that sticker?  Thin blue line and all?

Kinda what I was thinking.

I even had a known doper riding around in an SUV with a TBL sticker on it. I stopped him for no tag and told him to take it off.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:53:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I always follow the 10 mile rule, 55 keep it below 65, anything over 10 MPH is a good ticket. But you know that already

BTW: Did you badge him?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:09:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always follow the 10 mile rule, 55 keep it below 65, anything over 10 MPH is a good ticket. But you know that already

In PA it's the 6 MPH rule.

In a 55, 61 is OK but 62 will cost money.

And we have fines doubled areas that make no sense. They are all on areas of 4 lane roads with little congestion. Long stretches of fines doubled then you get to an area with a lot of traffic turning and entering the road and it's just the regular fines. I don't get it...but had a few fines in the doubled areas. Great for generating revenue I guess.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

As for cops going the speed limit, have you ever seen what happens when a marked unit goes the speed limit? You get a clusterfuck of angry drivers all packed into columns behind/beside the cop––which definitely increases the potential for a collision. So most of us choose to drive a bit over the speed limit to avoid the traffic snarl. Consider it a favor to you.

Thank you, I fuckin hate it when cops go exactly the speed limit. It's worse than two idiots doing a rolling roadblock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I remember a story of a city cop here doing over a 100 on the interstate. Trooper stoped him. First thing the cop did was flip out his badge and tell him he wasnt writing him a fucking ticket. Lets just say it did not end well for said cop
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#47]
I dont know about in MS but in FL you can do some short bullshit  "traffic school" online before you pay the ticket and get a reduced fee or something like that. I cant really remember now. Its been several years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#48]
I got pulled over a few weeks ago for going 70 in a 55 and got let go with a "slow it down" warning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Oh Noes!  Secret society revealed.  Now we know why YOUR dogs always survive.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top