Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So a retired 41 year old Soldier with evem a 1% disability shouldn't be able to work for the government?

Actually they do it the other way around - Soldiers with 20% disability get a 5 point (5%) hiring preference, honorably discharge earns another 5 points.

Disability ratings are bit screwy if you ask me.  If you can be a police officer, as in complete the medical exams and pass the academy PT, how is it you have a disability rating?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The firefighter was injured during the line of duty, after working 25 years.  He has a disability pension, he is not on temporary disability.  He retired as a firefighter.  There is reason he had to retire.  The municipality he works for have standards for firefighters.  Do you seriously want someone with back problems engaged in firefighting.  He got another job after he was retired that didn't involve physical stress.  

lots of people work for the fire department that don't jump into burning buildings every day.    

Did you even read the first line of the article?

"In 1997, Tom Foley was trying to carry a man from a burning building when he fell down the stairs."
A BURNING building.....   Guy risks his life saving someone and you think it's OK to shit on him?  That is all kinds of fucked up.

I'm not shitting on him.  I'm asking why if he was hurt in the line of duty, don't they just transfer him to a desk job?

I guess I just don't understand why there are all the little "empires" under your local government that have nothing to do with each other.   Doesn't the same county or state pay this guys paycheck?  Then it's the same employer: the people.  It's a civil service job.

Then again, I also read it was in Atlantic City New Jersey.  Yea, nothing corrupt EVER happens there.....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I guess I just don't understand why there are all the little "empires" under your local government that have nothing to do with each other.   Doesn't the same county or state pay this guys paycheck?  Then it's the same employer: the people.  It's a civil service job. Then again, I also read it was in Atlantic City New Jersey.  Yea, nothing corrupt EVER happens there.....

Guy medically retired from a city FD and now works for a state agency......  He isn't receiving disability, he's receiving pension payments and yes, there is a difference.

Brian

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I just don't understand why there are all the little "empires" under your local government that have nothing to do with each other.   Doesn't the same county or state pay this guys paycheck?  Then it's the same employer: the people.  It's a civil service job. Then again, I also read it was in Atlantic City New Jersey.  Yea, nothing corrupt EVER happens there.....

Guy medically retired from a city FD and now works for a state agency......  He isn't receiving disability, he's receiving pension payments and yes, there is a difference.
Brian

"He also is paid $60,600 a year as Atlantic City's director of emergency management and he is building up a second pension through a separate state retirement system."

"pension reform has come to a head because the state pension system had $45.8 billion in unfunded liabilities as of June 2009"

sounds like they are both state systems to me.    

and I understand that it's off a state retirement system.  Just seems weird that the city forces him to retire when he is clearly perfectly able to perform another job function.  I guess thats just strange to some people that aren't working for the government.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The firefighter was injured during the line of duty, after working 25 years.  He has a disability pension, he is not on temporary disability.  He retired as a firefighter.  There is reason he had to retire.  The municipality he works for have standards for firefighters.  Do you seriously want someone with back problems engaged in firefighting.  He got another job after he was retired that didn't involve physical stress.  

lots of people work for the fire department that don't jump into burning buildings every day.    

"In 1997, Tom Foley was trying to carry a man from a burning building when he fell down the stairs."

A BURNING building.....   Guy risks his life saving someone and you think it's OK to shit on him?  That is all kinds of fucked up.

I'm not shitting on him.  I'm asking why if he was hurt in the line of duty, don't they just transfer him to a desk job?  I misunderstood then.  Sorry about that.  There might not be a desk job available.  Generally, at least where I worked, you had to be 100% or you were retired.  As a peace officer, you have to be able to respond.  If you have an injury that interferes with that, you get the boot.

I guess I just don't understand why there are all the little "empires" under your local government that have nothing to do with each other.   Doesn't the same county or state pay this guys paycheck?  Then it's the same employer: the people.  It's a civil service job.   City, County, State, Federal, Districts - they are all different and have different rules.  There is no uniformity.  They each have their own civil service commission and rules too.

Then again, I also read it was in Atlantic City New Jersey.  Yea, nothing corrupt EVER happens there.....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a scam. Either you can work or you can't; and if you can then you shouldn't be collecting disability. Public service workers have learned to game the system.

If something isn't done to reform the system we will certainly face more financial catastrophe in the years to come.

It's not a scam, he can't work as a firefighter, but he can work another job.

Then the pension should be reduced or eliminated.

It's clear to me that you look at this as a purple heart that PAYS. Your "war wound" so to speak. It certainly shouldn't stop you from working but you also deserve to collect more than the average American makes every year for the injury (at $59,736/year for Foley in perpetuity). The article states that it is a "state disability pension" for brian4wd.

Quoted:

He's been paid around a million dollars since the article mentions he was injured. If he can't work because of it then he is truly disabled and should keep collecting. If anyone is "shitting on him" they are shitting green.

I've fallen down the stairs as well and have plenty of injuries that I don't make known. By the rules in place I could be collecting disability as well... but I'm not because I'm not really disabled to the degree that i can't work.

If there is nothing wrong with getting another government job while collecting disability (because you are entitled to it... as you put it).... then why stop there. If you suffer an injury at the new job you could then collect a second "disability" pension.... and go looking for a third government job.

To me it's a scam and our country is bankrupt because of the entitlement mentality of too many Americans (working for the government or leeching off it). We are talking about pensions the equivalent of a full time salary and not  just something supplemental, where you might be forced to find a job to survive. Public servants retiring at fifty with full benefits is something we simply can't afford.

I've said what I wanted to say; now you can go back to filibustering the thread. Have fun working another job while you are "retired" and "disabled" if that's what you want to do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a scam. Either you can work or you can't; and if you can then you shouldn't be collecting disability. Public service workers have learned to game the system.

If something isn't done to reform the system we will certainly face more financial catastrophe in the years to come.

Then the pension should be reduced or eliminated.

It's clear to me that you look at this as a purple heart that PAYS. Your "war wound" so to speak. It certainly shouldn't stop you from working but you also deserve to collect more than the average American makes every year for the injury (at $59,736/year for Foley in perpetuity). The article states that it is a "state disability pension" for brian4wd.
Quoted:

He's been paid around a million dollars since the article mentions he was injured. If he can't work because of it then he is truly disabled and should keep collecting. If anyone is "shitting on him" they are shitting green.

I've fallen down the stairs as well and have plenty of injuries that I don't make known. By the rules in place I could be collecting disability as well... but I'm not because I'm not really disabled to the degree that i can't work.

If there is nothing wrong with getting another government job while collecting disability (because you are entitled to it... as you put it).... then why stop there. If you suffer an injury at the new job you could then collect a second "disability" pension.... and go looking for a third government job.

To me it's a scam and our country is bankrupt because of the entitlement mentality of too many Americans (working for the government or leeching off it). We are talking about pensions the equivalent of a full time salary and not  just something supplemental, where you might be forced to find a job to survive. Public servants retiring at fifty with full benefits is something we simply can't afford.

I've said what I wanted to say; now you can go back to filibustering the thread. Have fun working another job while you are "retired" and "disabled" if that's what you want to do.

Nevermind...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
snipped because the formatting was horrible

It appears I misread the OP regarding city vs state......

Regardless, if the guy retired from the FD there is nothing IMO preventing him from working in different capacity for the same city/employer.  At 25 years he may have been maxed out or almost maxed out on FD pension and retiring to find a different job/different pension/retirement plan was the best financial move FOR HIM.  Despite all the hand wringing in GD otherwise all of us are looking out for our own interests as the number one priority.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
If they aren't getting paid for the new job, I have no problem with it.

Um,did you read the article?

They are collecting disability,but still working a gov job,and adding more in pension costs.Double (sometimes triple) dipping.

But hey,the money is from the state,so who cares?

Yes, I read the article. I was saying that I'd have no problem if people were paid pensions and allowed to work a new job without pay. As it is now, I consider these double and triple dippers to be low life scum. They shouldn't be allowed to do that at all.  

I think they should be able to work for the state and get payed but they should dedeuct thier pension from thier pay. That way they will have an incentive to work, if their new job is supposed to pay 70,000 a year and their pension is 50,000 they won't get 120,000 a year they get 20,000 on top of their 50,000 pension. Even that is a major gift but it is needed to git people to work.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess what a construction worker or machinist gets hurt and can't do their job any more, they don't get disability and get to work another job so why should public sector employees?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
He's not on DISABILITY.  He retired.  It works that way in the public sector too.  If you are on disability and go to work, they take you off of disability.  What almost all of the people posting here are not comprehending is that the firefighter RETIRED and is not on disability.  

Quoted:

where are you guys reading that?

from the OP link:

In 1997, Tom Foley was trying to carry a man from a burning building when he fell down the stairs.

The Atlantic City fire battalion chief broke two vertebrae and ruptured three discs in his back. Those injuries ended a firefighting career that spanned more than a quarter century and entitled him to a state disability pension.

Foley, 60, still collects that pension: $59,736 a year. He also is paid $60,600 a year as Atlantic City's director of emergency management and he is building up a second pension through a separate state retirement system.

"I deal mostly in management,'' Foley said. "I don't do physical things at all.''

That arrangement … drawing a disability pension while working another job … could come under a microscope this fall when Gov. Chris Christie and the Legislature take up pension reform.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Guess what a construction worker or machinist gets hurt and can't do their job any more, they don't get disability and get to work another job so why should public sector employees?

The pension was part of his compensation for doing the job.

People need to look at their options when considering a job.

Many construction and machinest folks can join a local union and receive similar things that a state worker would receive.

Not all comanies do 401k matching the same.  Some companies offer company cars.  Some companies offer an allowance to buy some boots once a year.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's not on DISABILITY.  He retired.  It works that way in the public sector too.  If you are on disability and go to work, they take you off of disability.  What almost all of the people posting here are not comprehending is that the firefighter RETIRED and is not on disability.  

Quoted:

where are you guys reading that?

from the OP link:

In 1997, Tom Foley was trying to carry a man from a burning building when he fell down the stairs.

The Atlantic City fire battalion chief broke two vertebrae and ruptured three discs in his back. Those injuries ended a firefighting career that spanned more than a quarter century and entitled him to a state disability pension.

Foley, 60, still collects that pension: $59,736 a year. He also is paid $60,600 a year as Atlantic City's director of emergency management and he is building up a second pension through a separate state retirement system.

"I deal mostly in management,'' Foley said. "I don't do physical things at all.''

That arrangement … drawing a disability pension while working another job … could come under a microscope this fall when Gov. Chris Christie and the Legislature take up pension reform.

ar-jedi

The operative word is pension.  

You get a pension only when you retire.  

There are different types of retirements.

1.  Regular Retirement

2.  Service connected disability retirement

3. Non-service connected disability retirement

4.  Medical retirement

All of the above retirements include your pension.  There are some differences in how they are administered.

Regular retirement is where, after a certain number of years working combined with your age, you draw a percentage of your salary as a pension.  The longer you work, the more it will be.

Service connected disability retirement is the same as the above except that a certain percentage of your retirement pension will be tax exempt.

Non-service connected disability -  Not sure about this one, but I think it might wave the age requirement.  

Medical retirement - what your agency does to remove you from your job and force you to retire. You then have to petition the retirement board for a disability retirement, which is at leeast an 18 month process that includes medical exams and a hearing to determine if you are in fact disabled.

Hope that helps...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not shitting on him.  I'm asking why if he was hurt in the line of duty, don't they just transfer him to a desk job?  I misunderstood then.  Sorry about that.  There might not be a desk job available.  Generally, at least where I worked, you had to be 100% or you were retired.  As a peace officer, you have to be able to respond.  If you have an injury that interferes with that, you get the boot.

I guess I just don't understand why there are all the little "empires" under your local government that have nothing to do with each other.   Doesn't the same county or state pay this guys paycheck?  Then it's the same employer: the people.  It's a civil service job.   City, County, State, Federal, Districts - they are all different and have different rules.  There is no uniformity.  They each have their own civil service commission and rules too.

"City,County,State,Federal,Districts-they are all different and have different rules"

That's true-but they all get "their" money from the same place-the rest of us .
And usually the gov entity matches the contribution towards retirement.As a small business owner,no one matches shit for me,and I doubt I can retire comfortably at 60 and then get a cush gov job at some level and keep sucking it up.

Should be 1 gov pension and that's it.Wanna work in the private sector for a company that will pay into a retirement-fine.

The number of us paying in,compared to what's going out is not sustainable.Look at Greece or other countries in Europe and how they are struggling will all their gov employees.

Even here in Iowa-the population has been relatively flat,but the amount of gov workers has been steadily going up.How long can we keep this up???

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"City,County,State,Federal,Districts-they are all different and have different rules"

That's true-but they all get "their" money from the same place-the rest all of us .   We pay taxes too.

And usually the gov entity matches the contribution towards retirement.As a small business owner,no one matches shit for me,and I doubt I can retire comfortably at 60 and then get a cush gov job at some level and keep sucking it up.

Should be 1 gov pension and that's it.Wanna work in the private sector for a company that will pay into a retirement-fine.

The number of us paying in,compared to what's going out is not sustainable.Look at Greece or other countries in Europe and how they are struggling will all their gov employees.

Even here in Iowa-the population has been relatively flat,but the amount of gov workers has been steadily going up.How long can we keep this up???

There has to be very tight oversight regarding all public funds, especially the pension funds.  I have seen mismanaged and corrupt pension funds in both sectors.  I haven't heard of matching government funds, although I have heard that they contribute a certain percentage (I'm not sure what the actual percentage is).  Although I agree with smaller government, more oversight (Especially fiscally), and less governmental erosion of our rights, Greece and Europe are in a different category.  

It's easy to throw money away, especially when it is not yours.  Career politicians are the sole cause of the financial misery in this country.  

As far as one government pension, do you feel the same way about the career / disabled military person being able to get a job in the public sector and draw their retirement?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I cant draw VA disability and my active duty paycheck at the sametime...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you were drawing a VA disability and not in the military, could you work for a city, county, state, fed agency?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Because your disability prevents you from doing the active duty job?

Brian

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were drawing a VA disability and not in the military, could you work for a city, county, state, fed agency?

So you are ok with the gov paying you twice???Because that is exactly what it is.

If you are a vet that is disabled and being paid for that,why should you be allowed to collect again from the same entity?

An entity that cannot pay or give away anything that it hasn't taken from someone else first.

And yes gov employees pay taxes,but it's still money that was taken from the private sector first,then they take a cut after paying you.So they take 100.00 from me and give it to you,then take 20.00 back from you in taxes.

And nice sidetrack into military disability.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're drawing disability it means you can't work, right?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So you are ok with the gov paying you twice???Because that is exactly what it is.

If you are a vet that is disabled and being paid for that,why should you be allowed to collect again from the same entity?

An entity that cannot pay or give away anything that it hasn't taken from someone else first.

And yes gov employees pay taxes,but it's still money that was taken from the private sector first,then they take a cut after paying you.So they take 100.00 from me and give it to you,then take 20.00 back from you in taxes.

My wife gets 30% VA disability and worked in LE afterwards.

My Grandfather gets a 30% VA disability, retired from the church with a full pension and collects Social Security on top of his pension and VA payments.

I have a friend who retired from the military. Has VA disability rating and almost immediately went back to work for the feds doing a very simular job to his pre-retirement MOS.

I don't have a problem with it just like a don't have a problem with a city firefighter drawing a medical pension and taking an office job for the state.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you're drawing disability it means you can't work, right?

SSI disability, yes.

Medical retirement, no. Medical retirement just means you are no longer physically capable of doing the job you were doing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#23]
My rule.

If you have a pension from a government job and you work at a second government job, your pension is reduced by the amount of your other paycheck, but you get a 20% of your 2nd job standard payrate as a bonus.

let's take the example from the article.  Ex police council woman gets $50K pension and $40K salary.  New Pension is $10K, so with councilman's salary + pension = equal to pension.  

Here's where the bonus comes in.  

If you can sit at home and make $50K...or go to work and make $40k+$10K, why wouldn't you sit at home.

So in the above example, she'd get an $8K 'bonus'  because hopefully $58K vs $50K is enough of an incentive to go work.

Also, you'd not be able to get dual pensions when you retire, but your years on the 2nd job would be added to the first job.

So, someone who works 15 years as police and 15 years as fire dispatcher would NOT get two pensions, but would get one equal to a 30 year veteran police officer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Opinions are like assholes....here is mine.

I do not believe anyone in the government jobs should get a pension. These people should be able to pay into 401k, government  doubles the first 2%, then 1.5X from 2-5%; 5 years to be fully vested.

Retired military should get disability and or a pension upon retirement. Retired military should get a tax ID number just like a non-profit. They should never pay sales tax, income tax, or any other tax after they retire.
This idea that you work 20 years, retire with a funded pension, then go get another job and get two paychecks is bogus, government has gotten to big to fund this system.
While I am here, Congressmen should make the median income of their represented district, they should get a 401k they can pay into too (fully vested after 5 years). Their health needs are covered by the VA hospitals; we will quickly find that the care and funding our wounded soldiers get is greatly increased when congressmen share hospital rooms with them.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad yours is well funded. We're going to have to bail the rest out.

Like United Air Lines?  Didn't another airline declare bankruptcy and foist the pensions on PBGC - ie taxpayers?

Brian

Again, DB pensions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes...

In fact, I could draw a VA disability rating, my retirement check from the Army and still work for any other govt agency.....ironically such as the DOD as a civilian tech and eventually draw a retirement check from that as well given time...I believe the llimit is two gov pensions though...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, actually, if you are on disability and receiving a check, you should be required to, for your check.

If Anyone on disability wants to work, they should be required to work for the .gov to earn their check, or have the amount they earn elsewhere takien out of their disability check...

Quoted:

Quoted:
Those "troughs" are filled pissed in by public employees too.  You don't think they pay taxes?  

Fixed it for 'ya.  

I would add, though, that the only exception should be ex-military.  If you are on any sort of .mil disability, you should be able to do whatever you want, and double dipping should not apply.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yes gov employees pay taxes,but it's still money that was taken from the private sector first,then they take a cut after paying you.So they take 100.00 from me and give it to you,then take 20.00 back from you in taxes.  I think the tax rate for both of us is the same...

First, I wasn't asking you.  

The Gov is not paying me twice. As far as the Vet is concerned, if he has his leg blown off and gets a VA disability, I don't think any amount of money is really going to matter to him.  He is being compensated for the loss of his leg.  If he can get another job, more power to him.  In a sort of strange way, I can understand your thinking.  However, the USA is so screwed up financially and politically that unless a catastrophic event takes place all you, me, or anyone else can do is bitch on the internet.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yes, actually, if you are on disability and receiving a check, you should be required to, for your check.

If Anyone on disability wants to work, they should be required to work for the .gov to earn their check, or have the amount they earn elsewhere takien out of their disability check...

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those "troughs" are filled by public employees too.  You don't think they pay taxes?  

Fixed it for 'ya.    

I would add, though, that the only exception should be ex-military.  If you are on any sort of .mil disability, you should be able to do whatever you want, and double dipping should not apply.

Because some animals are more equal than others?

I was going to respond with a caustic comment, but I see you are from Illinois.  Your world is different.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad yours is well funded. We're going to have to bail the rest out.

Like United Air Lines?  Didn't another airline declare bankruptcy and foist the pensions on PBGC - ie taxpayers?

Brian

Again, DB pensions.

But they're not public employees.

Brian

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top