BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When I went in the .mil.... my Mom threw away all of my "toys" which consisted of nearly all of the major Star Wars action figures (still in their original packaging) and all of my GI Joes action figures (also still in the packages)... Her response to "why did you throw those away!?"

"Well you're too old to play with them and they must not have been very important to you, you never took them out of the packages!"

I couldn't even bring myself to explain to her what she just did to my opinion of her, and how much money those things would bring one day!

So, with 3 sons of my own, I ask before I throw anything away... it's the respectful thing to do. I don't want my kids hating me for the rest of my life for something like that!

- Clint

Damn dude, that fuckin sucks. Did she at least apologize?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Something she needs to remember..

Someday he will be deciding where she lives and what happens to her stuff.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#3]
My mom threw my old bb/pellet gun away.  That's the one thing I would want from my childhood.  It was so awesome; it looked just like an M16, and this was before all the safety laws where it has to be bright orange.  It had a magazine you could dump bbs into that loaded just like a real one and also a clip that you could load a few pellets in.  It was so awesome and they don't make them anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Lessons for all around.

1. Mom should respect that a 17 year old is old enough to clean his own room and do the charity thing.

2. 17 year old needs to learn about banks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Lessons for all around.

1. Mom should respect that a 17 year old is old enough to clean his own room and do the charity thing.

I think the past few years have taught us ALL about "banks".

He needs to invest in one of those fake electrical outlet banks.  She wouldn't have found that.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I've heard stories of other people's parents just going through their stuff and tossing out, selling, or giving away stuff. I could never understand that. I still got stuff from when I was a kid packed away in my garage. When I have kids I'll let them play with my old toys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Shit. Most of my gun collection is still in my parents' house...

Not anymore......................
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You guys (as usual) don't get it!

Its not about the money!

Its about the aerator!

She went into his room while he wasn't there and took his personal property without his permission.

Its called stealing!

The kid now knows that he cant trust the one person in the world that he thought would never let him down.

I'm going to bet that Momma ends up in some lousy cheap nursing home when she gets old....................
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys who say that he should of had a bank account know that most if not all banks will not let someone under 18 open their own account. Its has to be a joint account with a guardian, like say his mom.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
All my mom would find in my room are crusty socks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#11]
my parents always gave notice/asked if it was ok

mom was a bit stupid and so was son for keeping $900 in cash in his room

yes it was well hidden but it was not protected from fire

should have had it in a bank earning interest. yes it would have been shitty interest these days but still better than nothing

when I got my first job I also got my checking account
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You guys (as usual) don't get it!

Its not about the money!

Its about the aerator!

She went into his room while he wasn't there and took his personal property without his permission.

Its called stealing!

The kid now knows that he cant trust the one person in the world that he thought would never let him down.

In my state a 17yo doesnt own anything. All of his possessions are his only by the grace of his parents. Something i frequently have to remind juveniles of when their parents take away their cell phones, laptop, nintendo, ect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
17 year old without a bank account....

white trash.

they get what they deserve.

I had a checking account when I turned 18.....but my money was generally in my room or on my person. You could have burned the house down and my cash stash would have survived.

I still tend to keep a significant amount of cash on hand at any given point in time.....at home and "stashed"...or on my person.

Am I white trash?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be ok with this if the kid was 5 and she was removing things that were no longer played with and too young for him.

He is 17, and it SHOULD have been his job to take care of HIS stuff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lessons for all around.

I have 2 kids (both now adults)

I would NEVER do something like that (sell there stuff with out asking)

Mom was a total dumbass
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:35:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I went in the .mil.... my Mom threw away all of my "toys" which consisted of nearly all of the major Star Wars action figures (still in their original packaging) and all of my GI Joes action figures (also still in the packages)... Her response to "why did you throw those away!?"

"Well you're too old to play with them and they must not have been very important to you, you never took them out of the packages!"

I couldn't even bring myself to explain to her what she just did to my opinion of her, and how much money those things would bring one day!

So, with 3 sons of my own, I ask before I throw anything away... it's the respectful thing to do. I don't want my kids hating me for the rest of my life for something like that!

- Clint

Damn dude, that fuckin sucks. Did she at least apologize?

No, but I never explained to her what they were worth. Even though I packaged them in boxes and stuck them in the attic, it was still her house... so I can't say that I really blame her. Besides, It wasn't like she did it intentionally. She just figured I wouldn't care. I don't hold it against her, but I think about it from time to time and wonder what I would have made off that collection.

- Clint

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top