Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 2:42:18 AM EDT

What is the small explosion after the shell is in flight?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FMki6dlKg&feature=grec_index  

muzzle flash?

I presume he means at the :14 mark.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7FMki6dlKg&feature=grec_index  

muzzle flash?

No, it ejects something off the shell halfway into the video.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
At :14 ?

No Idea, maybe something to do with the GPS guidance system some shells are getting fitted with

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no idea what the explosion is but that is awesome.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that a sabot round of some sort?  Pretty cool
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's what I believe is being ejected.   Looks like a ring around the projectile that's there then not there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:58:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I believe is being ejected.   Looks like a ring around the projectile that's there then not there.

Possible , but most sabot rounds have a much larger collar that is very easy to see. This one , not so much.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:07:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't know. But looking at the video it appears the rear is spinning faster than the front as if it is arming a fuse maybe? Then when the projectile locks in a fixed rotation the explosion occurs?
Maybe sometype of fuse to arm the warhead? Just a guess.

ETA: Nope I was wrong about the rotaion after I looked closer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Could it be an "arming" safety?  The shell has to go so far before it arms?  Possibly protection going down the barrel.  That is a missile assisted tank round.  MRM-KE Mid-Range Munition - Kinetic Energy

jd1
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Could it be an "arming" safety?  The shell has to go so far before it arms?  Possibly protection going down the barrel.  That is a missile assisted tank round.  MRM-KE Mid-Range Munition - Kinetic Energy

jd1

I was also thinking that it could be arming itself.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the shell is tapered and the ring in the front that is ejected could be on it to allign the shell whyle in the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have no idea what the explosion is but that is awesome.

I agree with this guy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#14]
It's a coolness accelerator.

The engineers said to themselves during development "How can we make this thing more awesome, it already goes faster than a bullet , and can slice through a tank while turning the inside to lava".

So the other guys said "Lets make it blow up some stuff in mid flight, so we have several explosions before it even hits the target".

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The engineers said to themselves during development "How can we make this thing more awesome, it already goes faster than a bullet , and can slice through a tank while turning the inside to lava".

So the other guys said "Lets make it blow up some stuff in mid flight, so we have several explosions before it even hits the target".

"Hello, awesome department? We have a tank round up here in development that needs more awesome. What have you guys got down there?"

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The MRM-KE, AKA X-Rod, is a 120mm line-of-site guided munition
used by the M1 Abrams. Fired as a conventional round, it
acquires GPS position followed by mid-course updates and at more...

the peak of its trajectory, ignites the motor accelerating to
achieve maximum lethality using a kinetic energy penetrator
warhead. It is designed for effective range of up to 7.5 km.

––––––––––––––––––––––

ATK'S MRM-KE Autonomously Searched, Guided And Hit Tank

Alliant Techsystems (ATK) is the first company to score a direct hit for the Mid-Range Munition program. In a test firing yesterday at the Yuma Proving Grounds, ATK's guided Kinetic Energy projectile (MRM-KE) autonomously searched for, guided to, and hit a tank more than three miles away.
During the engagement, the tank target was not visible from the projectile firing position. MRM-KE will provide the U.S. Army with overwhelming lethality at line-of- sight and beyond-line-of-sight ranges. This precision-guided 120mm munition is designed to defeat threats with pinpoint accuracy while minimizing collateral damage and the exposure of U.S. forces to hostile fire.
"ATK is a world-leader in the development and production of precision munitions," said Dave Wise, president, ATK Missile Systems Company.
"This direct hit by our MRM-KE is a milestone in precision fire capability for the Mounted Combat System (MCS) element of the Future Combat System. ATK's MRM-KE promises to significantly improve the effectiveness of the MCS against the current and future threats."
ATK's tactical MRM-KE will use a millimeter wave seeker to autonomously acquire and track the target and impulse thrusters to provide the maneuverability necessary to score a direct hit at ranges to 7.5 miles and beyond. This unique control system has no moving parts and, consequently, will provide high reliability at a low cost.
The projectile will travel to these extended ranges on a ballistic trajectory. Before impact, a rocket motor will boost the projectile with its embedded long rod penetrator to lethal supersonic velocity.
The MRM program is jointly developed and managed by Army Research and Development Command (ARDEC) and the Office of the Project Manager - Maneuver Ammunition Systems (OPM-MAS) at Picatinny Arsenal, NJ
This is from
link

Here is a description of the tank round

This program is a joint effort utilizing the combined assets of ARDEC's First Support Armaments Center and Close Combat Armament Center under the management of PM-TMAS. The program is structured to demonstrate a fire and forget, guided, boosted and "smart" tank fired kinetic energy projectile for highly accurate defeat of current and projected armor threats at ranges or at least 4km. The X-ROD projectile will extend the life to the M1A1 system, has sufficient lethality margin to counter threat improvement, and will increase the battle space available to U.S. forces of early engagement while requiring no increase in the ILS. The program is presently in development to demonstrate the guidance concept via a guide-to-hit experiment and the gun launched boosted system using unguided surrogates. The guidance technology has application to other systems such as helicopter launch air to ground and air to air missiles.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#17]
OK - How do you track something like that with a camera to keep it in the frame???
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#18]
how about  the biggest shot gun everrrrrrr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgn1nhUEgo8
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

OK - How do you track something like that with a camera to keep it in the frame???

No shit.  Obviously a computer-controlled motion tracking camera - but is it radar-guided, or do they just program the servos for the flight path and trigger the pan electronically?

That is one bad-ass servo, and pretty effin' cool!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Want!!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#21]
That's cool...
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No shit.  Obviously a computer-controlled motion tracking camera - but is it radar-guided, or do they just program the servos for the flight path and trigger the pan electronically?

The part in red is correct.  They know more or less how fast it is going to go so they can track it.  Pretty impressive and it takes a long, long time to set up a shot.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Want!!!!
The ultimate Fuck you to the enemy sniper....

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

That was really frickin cool.  Love the way that one pellet came in at the camera for the first shot.  What was really cool about that second shot was watching the shockwave coming off of that pellet cluster.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Magnets.

Or mirrors.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#26]
holy shit, that was awesome!!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Awsome Dept, this is Hank, can I help you?

Quoted:

"Hello, awesome department? We have a tank round up here in development that needs more awesome. What have you guys got down there?"  

Hmmmm ......... will this do?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#28]
How does a cameraman follow that ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Magnets.

Or mirrors.

Don't forget lasers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This. Ejecting the sabot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Awsome Dept, this is Hank, can I help you?

Quoted:

Hmmmm ......... will this do?

Quoted:

Hank, that sounds just like what we're looking for!  Send it up.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#32]
not an expert, but seems aful long to be a tank round....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:28:32 AM EDT
[#33]
That probably arms it on a time delay.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Want!!!!

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Ejecting the sabot.

Are you sure? Sabots are usually a little more obvious.

I think its safety arming.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am laughing my ass off here...  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't know anything about munitions, but maybe its something that helps guide it down the barrel and after it leaves its no longer needed?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I think it could be a collar that covers the ports used for the directional thrusting motors

"will use a millimeter wave seeker to autonomously acquire and track the
target and impulse thrusters to provide the maneuverability necessary
to score a direct hit at ranges to 7.5 miles and beyond
"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top