Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
He always bet HIS team would win!  What bullshit this is when you let cheating steriod HGH fucks into the Hall.

How the hell could Pete influence game when all his bets were "oh yea, I'll bet we beat your ass."

If he was in a position/had incentive to throw games, I could understand, but he never did that.

Who says? Pete "My word is strong as oak" Rose? The guys a slimeball.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely.

I was still playing baseball when Pete was playing. And since he played against the Cardinals, I HATED him with a passion.

But I've ALWAYS maintained that if I was to put together a baseball team, he'd be THE FIRST one I picked.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He always bet HIS team would win!  What bullshit this is when you let cheating steriod HGH fucks into the Hall.

How the hell could Pete influence game when all his bets were "oh yea, I'll bet we beat your ass."

If he was in a position/had incentive to throw games, I could understand, but he never did that.

I voted Yes as well.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely not.  He broke the most important rule.  His stuff shouldn't be in the HOF, either.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]

i could give two shits what he did as a manager as this has to deal with him as a player.

he's one of the best ever, let him in.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#6]
If the druggies are denied entry; maybe they could find some room for Pete Rose.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Only if the Hall of Fame you are talking about is one that is specifically for dumb asses.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes.  

But, if you argue he does not because of (blah. blah, blah), then be consistent and revisit all current members' eligibility.   Some great ones need to be thrown out based upon today's "standards".  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No because he was unrepentant liar.  He continuously for years tried to play the innocent game and only years later did he change his tune and still admitting to full truth.  He was coach of the team at the time he was gambling, he's a fucking cheat.

ETA:  I believe people must be held accountable for their actions.  Baseball is doing right by keeping charley the hustler out.  There is a reason why no one in the hall of fame wants him in, the bum essentailly shit the bed.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#10]
It's what he did as a player that should get him in the Hall of Fame.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#11]
No doubt he does. One of the greatest players of all time.....
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:17:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No because he was unrepentant liar.  He continuously for years tried to play the innocent game and only years later did he change his tune and still admitting to full truth.  He was coach of the team at the time he was gambling, he's a fucking cheat.

ETA:  I believe people must be held accountable for their actions.  Baseball is doing right by keeping charley the hustler out.  There is a reason why no one in the hall of fame wants him in, the bum essentailly shit the bed.

this
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Of course he does .

And I liked Nixon as Pres too but thats just me !!

Your results may vary
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:19:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Fuck yes he does.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
If they let Barroid or Clemens or McGuire in, then they should let Rose in. Either way, I'm on the fence, I don't really care if any get in or not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, without a doubt.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, but...

Only after he dies.  A lifetime ban is a lifetime ban.  Baseball should celebrate all its great moments but his can't be celebrated until he's done being punished.

I feel the same about Shoeless Joe.  A lifetime ban ends with the end of the life.  The individual is the one to be punished not baseball.

Matthew
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:54:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Poll fail.

IIRC Pete admitted to betting on baseball while he was player manager. Pete said his private verbal deal with Giamatti would allow him a short suspension. Then he could return to baseball as a manager. Giamatti always denied this deal existed.

He shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A manager betting on his team to win a specific game is a dangerous thing that cannot be allowed.  The team with the best record in the history of the game still lost 42 games that season.  Losing is a part of the game.  A manager playing for one game can missuse his players to the detriment of the team and the season.  A manager desperate enough can even put players careers in jeapardy.

Matthew
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#21]
yes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#22]
And let us note, on the Anniversary of the hit record being broken, is Pete Rose being honored by the Reds?

Well, they wanted to, but it turns out Pete had scheduled a baseball signing appearance on a GAMBLING RIVERBOAT.   Irony seems to follow him around.

Part of the problem is that Pete Rose is a low class lying shit-stain who happened to hit baseballs with some consistency.  Outside of a few "West Side" fans, nobody really gives a damn about him, considers him an embarrassment to the Reds and to Baseball, and really just wish he would die so everyone could do the final tributes and then forget about him.

EDIT:  Turns out Pete briefly got out of his obligation at the gambling establishment for an hour or so to show up at Great American Ball Park for a tribute from the Reds.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Took him years to tell the truth about the crap he pulled while managing.  Shame, he was a hell of a baseball player but then so was Shoeless Joe!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#24]
You're damn right he does.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Poll fail.

IIRC Pete admitted to betting on baseball while he was player manager. Pete said his private verbal deal with Giamatti would allow him a short suspension. Then he could return to baseball as a manager. Giamatti always denied this deal existed.

He shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

Link?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We've done this many times and it always comes down to two crowds, the "He sure hit a lot of baseballs! herr durrr" crowd and the "I respect the game almost like religion" crowd.

I think the two crowds are “I DO NOT think what he did AFTER he was done playing should tarnish what he did while he was playing” and “I DO think what he did AFTER he was done playing should tarnish what he did while he was playing.”
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck yes he does.

+1

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:49:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes
But only after he is dead
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#29]
The main reason Rose isn't in the Hall of Fame is Giamatti's heart attack, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes.  He's paid enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You just can't take a man's accomplishments away from him.  Yes, he deserves to be in the MLB Hall of Fame.

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Baseball is a game of stats and Rose isn't just some guy who played really well, he's the all time hits leader, and not by any small amount.  The Hall of Fame and the overall record is incomplete without him.  If they let Bonds in, which they will, there's no reason to keep Rose out.

And doing things like not even allowing him in a ballpark is stupid and childish.  

Pete's a scumbag.  But he's a scumbag with 4256 hits.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If they let Bonds in, which they will,

I dont think thats gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would hope not.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#35]
If there is some sort of moral compliance that must be met in order to be in the hall of fame then shouldn't everyone in the hall meet the same standard? I am still trying to figure out how he can be the all time hit leader and still not be in the hall of fame?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If there is some sort of moral compliance that must be met in order to be in the hall of fame then shouldn't everyone in the hall meet the same standard? I am still trying to figure out how he can be the all time hit leader and still not be in the hall of fame?

Easy, he was a MLB Manager representing the Reds and MLB, he was actively betting on the game.  Rose knew better, MLB has be harsh on Gambling ever since the Blacksox scandal in 1919.  Had Rose not been a Manager of the Reds and connected to MLB this whole debacle would not be.

Rose knew gambling as manager was wrong and did it anyway.  When questioned about it he lied.  He is scum and doesn't deserve to be among the worthy men who are in the Hall now.  As far as I am concerned the steroid abusers don't deserve entry either.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fuck yes he does.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd vote him in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#39]
i think he's a total fucking douche like bonds but fame is fame and it is the hall of fame not the fucking conduct award.

Quoted:

no ...

he broke the rules and he's a fucking liar ...

why guys find it neccessary to worship other males is beyond me ...

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#40]
There are a lot of piece of shit personalities in the hall of fame...with a lot less hits than Charlie Hustle.

I say let him in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I would as well...........he has paid enough...........

Quoted:
I'd vote him in.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would hope not.

You guys are fooling yourselves.  Bonds will go in first ballot and there won't be a whimper from whoever is commissioner.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I doubt any man already enshrined in the Hall of Fame would come close to being any type of saint.  

Pete was one HELL of a player.
Pete had one HELL of a gambling problem. Did he really only ever bet his team would win? Gamblers strive for only one thing. WIN. If the team his team was facing had a much better record, I highly doubt a gambling addicted Rose is going to bet against them. He was already breaking the one BIG rule that shall not be broken, so he is not going to bet against his team for what reason? Against his principles? Don't think he had too many of those to worry about, so,
Pete was one HELL of a liar.

Does he belong in the Hall? If any one does, he does.
Should he be inducted? Even though he has been banned for life?

Yes, he should. Posthumously.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Supplements to the human body doesn't matter, a human either hits a ball a certain distance or he does not. if he does then the record will continue to be broken.

anyone who complains about new tech supplements or hormones is just lying to themselves. you can't stop progression. Its human nature.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would hope not.

You guys are fooling yourselves.  Bonds will go in first ballot and there won't be a whimper from whoever is commissioner.  

There is no way thats gonna happen. Look at McGwire
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:47:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Baseball is a game of stats and Rose isn't just some guy who played really well, he's the all time hits leader, and not by any small amount.  The Hall of Fame and the overall record is incomplete without him.  If they let Bonds in, which they will, there's no reason to keep Rose out.

And doing things like not even allowing him in a ballpark is stupid and childish.  

Pete's a scumbag.  But he's a scumbag with 4256 hits.

me being the sports hater i am, i have to agree here.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And let us note, on the Anniversary of the hit record being broken, is Pete Rose being honored by the Reds?

Well, they wanted to, but it turns out Pete had scheduled a baseball signing appearance on a GAMBLING RIVERBOAT.   Irony seems to follow him around.

Part of the problem is that Pete Rose is a low class lying shit-stain who happened to hit baseballs with some consistency.  Outside of a few "West Side" fans, nobody really gives a damn about him, considers him an embarrassment to the Reds and to Baseball, and really just wish he would die so everyone could do the final tributes and then forget about him.

GIve me a fucking break.  It is Cincinnati.  The only nice venues are river boat cruise type places, other than the upity down town hotels which do not cater to such clientel.

Non fucking issue.

This wouldn't have happened if he was black.

There is is, I just played the race card.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#48]
It's amazing that people think he bet against his team....a guy who tored up a catchers shoulder and ended his freaking career (well at least changed it forever)...in the ALL STAR GAME. I would say he was pretty competitive.

If betting was his crime I'd take a team of 9 criminals nowdays everyday.

If you want to keep him out of the hall of fame do it for something really bad...like posing for this Jockey ad.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't answer without bias since I think he's a huge asshole. I know, I know, "You don't get into the Hall of Fame for your manners" but he did break the rules and hasn't even shown any remorse for doing so and lying about it for so long. The only reason he cared to tell the truth is because it's kept him out of the HoF. His speech today at the game was a joke in my opinion.

Like I said, I think he's a douche so it's hard to say anything nice about him.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's amazing that people think he bet against his team....a guy who broke a catchers leg and ended his freaking career...in the ALL STAR GAME. I would say he was pretty competitive.

If betting was his crime I'd take a team of 9 criminals nowdays everyday.

If you want to keep him out of the hall of fame do it for something really bad...like posing for this Jockey ad.

http://www.depressedfan.com/images/pete-rose-jockey.jpg

Dumb and Dumber, the Hamilton County Edition
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top