Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 11:09:39 PM EDT by fammyman]
***DISCLAIMER*** this is not meant as a troll thread. it is a serious question.

why is it that on a board with so many people believing in freedom of speech and diversity and debate that when some one has a differing opinion or is a little different that there is a dogpile holier than thou response or attitude that comes about ? there seems to me that there are 2 groups here. TIER 1 holier than thou and everybody else. am i alone in this ? i mean this is a public forum for ALL of the gun loving public right ? not tier 1 guys only. again not complaining just sayin. i love this sight since i have discovered it it has brought me much knowledge and enjoyment.

discuss

ETA this is not about me its an observation
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:14:38 PM EDT
The simple answer is that we have a HUGE membership made up of all sorts of people. It's inevitable that some will form cliques.

Smaller fora are a lot more cohesive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:16:19 PM EDT
You're just sensitive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:17:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
The simple answer is that we have a HUGE membership made up of all sorts of people. It's inevitable that some will form cliques.

Smaller fora are a lot more cohesive.

i agree with you. but why is one clique better than the other ? cliques should be able to co exist peacefully should they not ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:17:24 PM EDT
This is not a public forum. This is a private forum. You gotta play by their rules.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:17:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By -GunNutJuell-:
You're just sensitive.

so
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:17:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -GunNutJuell-:
You're just sensitive.

Yeah, you're too sensitive. Tell him, guys!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:18:56 PM EDT
Tier One!! Tier One!! Tier One!!

It is an interesting phenomenon, but as has been said it is an established trend. What gets me is how hypocritical the dogpiling can be, but hey, c'est la vie, right?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:19:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Compass:
This is not a public forum. This is a private forum. You gotta play by their rules.

i agree with that too an my question is directed to the membership rather than the staff. i agree staff can run it how they like. while i have had my disagreements with some they have always been fair to me
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:22:55 PM EDT

I do not think that's what O_P is asking. Sometimes it seems that certain "groups" (cliques) think they are more right than other groups or individuals. I do not think O_P is implying anything about COC or forum rules.

I've been wrong this entire trimester, so YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:24:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By scottfire1957:

I do not think that's what O_P is asking. Sometimes it seems that certain "groups" (cliques) think they are more right than other groups or individuals. I do not think O_P is implying anything about COC or forum rules.

this he said it better
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:24:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fammyman:

i agree with that too an my question is directed to the membership rather than the staff. i agree staff can run it how they like. while i have had my disagreements with some they have always been fair to me

I am on the fence with censorship. I don't believe that anyone should be kept from saying what they wish, so I have never used the ignore button. So what if I don't care for a particular poster for something they have said? That's what makes this forum colorful and festive.

OTOH, I understand why the COC is in place. A certain level of decorum needs to be kept in order to keep this place alive and running.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:25:51 PM EDT

If you want sugar & spice, go elsewhere.

Maybe Dan Baum can help you out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:26:45 PM EDT

this he said it better

Okay, in response to the clique thing.....and you're not going to like my answer, but it's life. People live on this board and treat it like their life. They are, theoretically, the same way on here that they are in life.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:29:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 9:29:53 PM EDT by NineLivez]

Quit kissing staff/mod ass Flash

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:29:38 PM EDT
you are wrong about the "two groups" idea. You are right that any thread about any contentious issue will be loaded with holier than thou double-standard retardism, but it is not because we have a group of hard core assholes that shit in every thread. It happens because we have a specific group of hard core assholes for EVERY ISSUE. There is some over lap of course, but it only takes a few shithead responses to derail a thread, and no matter what issue you post, short of RKBA stuff, someone will disagree and be a dick about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:29:45 PM EDT

this he said it better

Okay, in response to the clique thing.....and you're not going to like my answer, but it's life. People live on this board and treat it like their life. They are, theoretically, the same way on here that they are in life.

fair enough and i dont like or dislike your answer
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:30:02 PM EDT

this he said it better

It don't make 'em any more right or correct than anybody else, though. It usually just ends as a dogpile on somebody. Miniscule interpretations out of context, etc etc....

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:30:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By NineLivez:

Quit kissing staff/mod ass Flash

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:31:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mattsd:
you are wrong about the "two groups" idea. You are right that any thread about any contentious issue will be loaded with holier than thou double-standard retardism, but it is not because we have a group of hard core assholes that shit in every thread. It happens because we have a specific group of hard core assholes for EVERY ISSUE. There is some over lap of course, but it only takes a few shithead responses to derail a thread, and no matter what issue you post, short of RKBA stuff, someone will disagree and be a dick about it.

seen it there too
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:31:53 PM EDT

this he said it better

It don't make 'em any more right or correct than anybody else, though. It usually just ends as a dogpile on somebody. Miniscule interpretations out of context, etc etc....

And life isn't fair. I always wanted to be part of the cool crowd. I always got stuck with the loners and weirdos (in high school).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:36:59 PM EDT
If you have strong belief(s) or feelings on a subject then you probably already know how the "hive" swings on the issue.

There are certain subjects that if you state your beliefs on you will get hammered.

Some like the "truthers" will get absolutely punished with facts and logic.

Others will get you lumped into the "simple minded" and "ignorant" group with little debate or discussion, just a chorus of howling and yapping.

It has always been this way for as long as I've been here on some subjects.

The thing about a forum this big is the degree of interaction between the members. If you took a group the size of GD and put them in a large room they would tend to divide into the same groups but there would be less crossover discussion if left to their own devices so I think there would be less "dogpiling" because the groups would tend to talk among themselves. Here in order to talk you have to put your views on display to everyone, not just those in your group.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:46:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:53:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Razoreye:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Elliott

hmmmm good read
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:54:19 PM EDT

this he said it better

And life isn't fair. I always wanted to be part of the cool crowd. I always got stuck with the loners and weirdos (in high school).

Yep, life ain't fair. Still don't make the cliques more correct than anybody else. Just louder. Like certain groups demanding their "free stuff." The louder they are, the more correct they thiink they are.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:18:20 PM EDT
im surprised i would have thought more would join in on this topic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:19:15 PM EDT

I don't even know what you're talking about
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:20:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Billmanweh:

I don't even know what you're talking about

ok
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:56:43 PM EDT
Maybe the one with the "differing opinion" is wrong and gets told so. Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:01:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BatcaveSouth:
Maybe the one with the "differing opinion" is wrong and gets told so. Other than that, I have no idea what you're talking about.

and if there not ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:05:08 PM EDT
I'm not holier than thou. You sent me LaRue stickers, so I'll always stick up for you.

Although, due to my recent threads, me sticking up for you probably doesn't carry much weight among the AR15.com populace.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:07:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
I'm not holier than thou. You sent me LaRue stickers, so I'll always stick up for you.

Although, due to my recent threads, me sticking up for you probably doesn't carry much weight among the AR15.com populace.

glad i have a fan lol. this is not about me. this is an observation and while its not being shown here there are others that agree
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:08:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BatcaveSouth:

And then again, maybe the "one" with the "differing opinion" is correct, yet get put down by the "loud'er clique.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:09:38 PM EDT
Well there's two sides to things. It's a universal constant. There's right and wrong. Pick your side
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:10:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
Well there's two sides to things. It's a universal constant. There's right and wrong. Pick your side

things are not always right and wrong though so youre wrong
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 11:14:43 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]

Yes there is. There's either right, or there's wrong. Anything in the middle is called justification.

ETA: we've all done it. Me? Many times throughout my life. How'd I know? I looked back and saw what I told myself to make it right in my mind at that time. You know, that grey area? YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:15:52 PM EDT

Yes there is. There's either right, or there's wrong. Anything in the middle is called justification.

ok so if a guy wants to mow his yard there is a right way to do it ? if so what is it ? length evryone differs how they want it ? so wouldnt right or wrong be up to the individual ?

right and wrong varies by subject matter at hand this could spin a million ways
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:17:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 11:18:17 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]
ok so if a guy wants to mow his yard there is a right way to do it ? if so what is it ? length evryone differs how they want it ? so wouldnt right or wrong be up to the individual ?

Now you're just being stupid and abstract. I'm out.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:21:18 PM EDT

When you say "mow a guys yard", you're not talking about mansex are you? That thread ran its course awile back, I think you choose another topic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:21:33 PM EDT

ok so am i right or wrong ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:22:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Infallible:

When you say "mow a guys yard", you're not talking about mansex are you? That thread ran its course awile back, I think you choose another topic.

no i meant as in cutting grass i used to have a lawn service in my tier 1 days
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:23:11 PM EDT

I must agree with mr. perfection on this one
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:24:18 PM EDT
saying goes opinions are like assholes everyones got one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:27:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Jinxsters:
saying goes opinions are like assholes everyones got one.

some are well formed and some are just shitty
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:32:31 PM EDT

Ahhh, a clique memeber. In groups, well you'd be strong, but alone...you bail. This is where that miniscule extract form quotes without context thing comes in.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:36:28 PM EDT

Ahhh, a clique memeber. In groups, well you'd be strong, but alone...you bail. This is where that miniscule extract form quotes without context thing comes in.

Yeah you YOU cowardly cur!!! RUN AND TUCK TAIL!! KICK HIS ASS SEABASS!!!

Note, I just really wanted to yell that out as a neutral 3rd party observer, not that I have anything against anyone in particular.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:37:44 PM EDT
Can't we just hug it out?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:39:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bblake00:

Arms over shoulders only and none of you fags try and touch my ass

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:40:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dedfella:

I thought we said no lawn mowing in this thread?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:43:06 PM EDT

Raking the grass is different than mowing
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:43:12 PM EDT

dammit

I was lured in with promises of peace and harmony
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top