Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/10/2010 8:18:10 PM EDT
I still remember it like it was yesterday..... I was eating at the dfac on Fort Hood and it was on the TV there.  The whole place fell silent while everyones eyes were glued to the tv.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]

Albaquerque Airport.

I still remember the ATIS, "All VFR and IFR departures are ground stopped until further notice."
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Woke up to the reports at home, and saw plane #2 hit. Then I had to open up the shop, and it was a LOOOOONG day.
Then I knew I had to join the Army.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
When I first heard of it, I was heading to a bagel store with my dad, to meet his best friend.  

This was early on, when the news was claiming it to be a small aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
At work listening to the radio.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
At the Trade Center.

Hell of a day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Just sat down to science class in 7th grade.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Getting coffee in a camp on the North Slope.  I could hear the cable news people stammering and stuttering, because something live was happening so they weren't reading off their teleprompters.  Went into the TV room and watched the one tower on fire from the plane crash, wow that's weird.  Like the plane crashing into the Empire State Building.  Then seeing a jet airliner smash into the second tower.  FUCK ME!  THIS ISN'T HAPPENING.  And then the towers collapsing.  Ok, time to go to work.....we were excused from work because air travel was shut down so if anyone was injured, we wouldn't be able to fly them out to a hospital.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a phone call waking me up at home from my sister, her first words were "America is under attack", I said what the fuck are you talking about and she told me to turn the news on, it was at that point I about shit bricks, and started smoking again.  I literally remember just about every single moment of that whole day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Asleep in my shitty apartment in Charlotte, NC.   My wife at the time woke me up just in time to see the south tower fall.  

I worked for some Russians at a private computer consulting firm and they almost didn't even let us off work that day.

I lived in direct line for the airport and we saw the sky filled with planes waiting to land and then nothing at all in the air for 3 days.   It was surreal.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
In Bosnia 15 minutes from raiding a weapon storage site.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I spent the day at work watching it unfold on TV with the boss and his mother
still wish it had been a normal day

speed
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Stupid ass sculpture class in college.

I remember the flamboyant professor saying that " this means war and our lives would never be the same".
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Sitting at home... watching the news as it happened. (I always watched CNN for a couple hours when I got up)

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:27:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone remember exactly where they were and what they were doing, when they heard the first report?

I was a freshman in HS. I was sitting in shop class when they rolled in a TV. We sat there and watched the whole thing on scrambled TV.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]
At the computer.  My mom was vacuuming, and she called me in to watch the TV, one of the towers was on fire.  Then the second plane hit.

I said "Whoever planned this just committed suicide." (as in, Uncle Sam is going to spend forever and a day hunting their ass to the end of the earth)  Spent the rest of the day watching TV.  What was happening seemed very distant and unreal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I was at home at the time the first news reports started coming in.

I remember reading news reports on the Internet in those first few confused hours.

I sent an e-mail out to my distribution list telling people "It looks like we have a little problem with our national security this morning."
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:27:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I was in bed, having not woken up yet.

Mom yelled that terrorists just flew a plane into the WTC.

I got up & went to look at the TV.

I remember all the newscasters just repeating the same thing over & over, not saying anything new.
They knew as little as we did & they wouldn't admit it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
wow.  at the time tuesdays were my day off...so i usually slept in.  I woke up later in the morning and thus far hadn't heard a word.

I called up to my folks house and my brother answered the phone.  He said did you hear what happened and I said no what?

he then said that terrorist had flown planes into both the world trade center towers and that both had been knocked down.  I literally went into shock...i could hardly talk, i tried to go down the hall to tell my wife who was in the bathroom and I couldn't walk...I had to basically crawl down the hall. When i go to her I couldn't even say the words.  It was a very strange feeling, being in shock like that.  I went from not hearing about it to "both towers are down" in about 10 seconds.  We said a prayer and then we all cried.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#19]
American History class, junior year of high school.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#20]
11th grade math class
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I had stopped in to a 7eleven to get a coffee before work. I saw a tower burning on a little black and white TV behind the counter.

I don't know why, maybe because it was early and I had just woke up, but I thought "no way" and went and got in my truck and went to work.

I got there and everyone was sitting around a radio. It was past starting time but no one was doing shit. We normally went gangbusters from the starting bell to quitting time but that day no one was doing shit.

I sat down and a few guys said a few words, most just stayed quiet and listened to the radio.

We really didn't know what to do, we were all pretty much knocked over. This was a tight crew that hung out together off hours, good buddies, but no one was talking. The boss eventually just told us all to go home, no work today.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I was at home getting ready for high school.

Heard a blurb about a plane crash in NY and flipped on the news - don't know why I did, I just felt I should.

Less than a minute later the 2nd plane hit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#23]

woke up a few minutes before the 2nd plane hit.  still couldn't grasp what was happening as i was still not all there from waking up.  then the first tower started collapsing and i think i said "holy f" about 100 times and then again when the second tower went down.  don't think i turned off the news for a couple weeks.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I was in shop class at my High School, my sophmore year when a teacher came in and told the coach to turn it to the new because the WTC was on fire, later on we saw the second plane hit

I was in drivers Ed when the buildings collapsed

bad day
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#25]
7th grade, at home sick in bed, remember my mom telling me "they are crashing planes into buildings."
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got home from a night shift, turned on the TV  to watch the morning news, and saw the second plane hit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I still remember it like it was yesterday..... I was eating at the defact on Fort Hood and it was on the TV there.  The whole place fell silent while everyones eyes were glued to the tv.

I was at work and heard from co-workers that had heard about the first plane on the radio coming into the office. Most of the office was watching the tv in the breakrooms when the second plane hit. It was such a surreal day, Very few words were said for several hours after the towers were hit. Almost everyone had a very quite rage and dark look upon their face.

I remember that day minute by minute....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Watching the news unfold on yahoo.com at work and was on the phone with my aunt with the second plane hit until the towers fell.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Asleep in my room on Osan AB, South Korea.  Around midnight local time someone woke me and told me what had happened.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#30]
My mom woke me up and told me a plane hit tower 1, woke up to watch the second hit....went to school (high School) and told my friends. I remember the day like it was 10 min ago
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Eighth grade, sitting down to first period "homeroom." My dad worked in the large domed building directly across the street at the time. My whole town is a bedroom community for NYC, a lot of people were affected.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Sitting in English class in 6th grade. I had to go to the bathroom to find out what was going on, I knew something was going on by the way the teacher was acting after getting off the phone. I stood outside the door of the social studies class that had the TV on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Auto maintenance class in high school.....for all the classes we didn't do anything but watch the news after it happened. (except for the commie fag german teacher who didn't care and carried on the class like nothing happened)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I was at work, setting up the line for that day's run, when it was announced on the radio. It was Trish Gazzal(sp) on 105.7FM The Point in the St. Louis area, and I still remember hearing her starting to cry as she was reporting.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I was supposed to start my multi engine training.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just sat down to science class in 7th grade.

Just sat down to science class in 6th grade
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Giving a Social Studies Test...sad day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Borders Bookstore #356; working the morning shift, preparing to open the store at 9am; I was on my way back from the food court, wne i saw a lot fo peopel gathered at an electronics store; big screen TV showing the South Tower in flames and I was looking at the TV when I saw the second plane plow into the North Tower; couple of people screamed in panic and my ass was inside the store in 2 secs. flat.

My manager was calling the manager of the Borders store inside the WTC mall.; everybody evacuated before the towers colapsed. after the towers collapsed; I called up my 1SG at my USAR unit and we were all recalled; next day, I was under emergency orders to work on post (Operation Noble Eagle)...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I was at home in Mich at the time. A friend called and told me to to turn the tv on. All they had a the time was a radio. I relayed everything that was going on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
My mom called and woke me up and told me a plane hit tower 1, woke up to watch the second hit
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#41]
double tap

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#42]

I was sleeping. I got a call from a friend, who left a message on my machine, she asked if I was still home and if I was ok.

I used to work in 1 WTC, 50th floor. Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank, on their treasuries trading floor (bonds, FX). Most of the time, when I talked to here, it was from there. I left there in the late 90's. Some of the people I worked with, still worked there on that day.

Anyway, so I got up, checked the computer...4 or 5 other friends had messaged me on AIM and ICQ and such (hey, it was and still is a valid messaging app), and then I turned on the tv.

I saw what was happening, packed some stuff up (I was living in north NJ but an NY resident at the time, so no boomsticks of any kind), and headed off to my parents, just north of NYC.

I holed up there for a day.

Compounding the ...dislike...factor, is that 9/11 is my father's birthday.

It is now tainted. I am incredibly not happy about it. Neither is he.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Working for MAST in KCMO got called by my Mother In Law and asked if I knew what was going on.  Started listening to the radio (Broadcast) and initially couldn't believe what I was hearing and thought it was a DJ being stupid.  Finally it hit that it was real and it took us forever to get to a hospital to see a TV.  I remember the gas lines and people panicking. My wife had my bags packed to go to NY when I got home and I had called to volunteer as a medic but they didn't need any additional.  I was on standby to go but we didn't send anyone.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:42:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I was in bed, having not woken up yet.

Mom yelled that terrorists just flew a plane into the WTC.

I got up & went to look at the TV.

I remember all the newscasters just repeating the same thing over & over, not saying anything new.

They knew as little as we did & they wouldn't admit it.

Creepily familiar..  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I was a freshman in highschool at the time.. I remember waking up in the morning and just felt sick to my stomach. I always watched the news while I was eating breakfast.

I literally could not believe what I saw... The whole day was nothing but watching the news in every single class..

I'll never forget when I got home and my mom asked my father how his day was and he said "No American had a good day today; we are going to war and hell is coming with us.."

My father is a Vietnam War veteran and I never EVER heard him say anything as blunt as the way he said that...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#46]
My wife and I along with some friends were on vacation in Cancun Mexico.

The hotel told us we needed to turn on CNN in our rooms, that something

terrible was happening in America.

We sat and watched in horror as that terrible event unfolded on live TV.

A great number of people from all over the world who were staying there

came up to us and told us they were sorry and that they were on our side.

I will remember the shock, confusion and sadness I felt till the day I die. The

extreme anger I felt and the helplessness to do anything about it was ten times

stronger than just about anything I've ever experienced before.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Senior year, slept in early and walked into my CAD class just after the first plane hit.

I said "That's not the only one." Once the second hit I said again, "That's also not all.." Then there were reports of the pentagon being hit...

I honestly didn't think it was seriously over until about a few days later. I walked home after that class, and it was eerily silent in the sky. Not a single plane.

I remember hearing F-16s from the 174TFW roar out of the base in the days and weeks following though (I was in Upstate NY at the time).

To this day, thinking about it makes me full of horrible anxiety. I seriously don't even want to think about it or see images of it.

It is one of the things that makes me regret not staying in the military to this day as well.

ETA: Almost forgot, I had flown home from visiting my family in Germany on the 9th - 2 days earlier.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I was walking into Gold's gym and the TV's were showing the damage from the first plane. The news kept saying it was a small plane but I grew up outside NYC and had been down at the WTC so many times that the damage was too big for a small plane.  As we watched, the second plane hit. I left the gym and went to my parents home to check on them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I was in seventh grade and lived in northern nj at that time. We had just had gym. They sat us down for second period and told us that the twin towers had been attacked and destroyed. One girl busted out in tears and yelled "my dad works there".        his train was late and he lived.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#50]
On a side note, when the invasion broke out and it was covered on TV, chills went down my spine with pride.

I still remember that and wish that was still good footage of it on youtube but I can never find it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top