Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 5:21:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2010 7:26:47 PM EDT by McNutty]
Sorry if some of this does not make since I have been up to long and to worried right now.

My father is 65yo decent health, Has high blood pressure, Found out at the hospital he has high sugar!
Anyway 2 days ago he complained of his right arm not hurting but unable to make it work. He said he was trying to reach a kitchen cabnet head level but his arm just would not move we he was trying to fetch some items. He called his doctor and they told him to go to the ER now. Well he has been in the hospital the past 2 days! They checked for stroke, Did MRI, EEG, blood work and some kind of scan of his neck for blood clots or something.

Well they found only his sugar level was around 200 and that is it. Nothing on the MRI, EEG or blood work. So all they gave him was one of those sugar level checker things and released him. Said he felt fine and wanted to drive home. My brother decided he would follow him to make sure he got home safe. Well my brother waited and waited for him to pull out of the parking lot he was in but he never showed"he was parked in a seperate lot". My brother went over to where he was and he was just standing there not able to push the key fob to open the jeep. He said he knew what he needed to do but he just could not push the button. My brother took the key fob and opened the door for him and he rode home with my brother.

He said he felt fine, did not hurt anywhere. He was aware of what was happening but wasnt able to perform the needed task! I just got done talking to him again and he said he felt good, no issues with his arm and he felt fine. All of this has only begun the past couple days and has only a couple issues not able to physically move his arm but he mentally knew what was happening!! Anyone have any ideas? We are going to another hospital in the next day or so. Anyone know of a medical advice hotline or helpline ?

Sorry for the long thread but I am mentally and physically worn out! Not to mention scared shitless! Could use some prayers!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:28:21 PM EDT
I can't really offer any help, but I hope someone comes along who can. I hope everything turns out ok for him.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:35:42 PM EDT
Not qualified, but sounds like stroke type stuff.

Get his blood worked and level him out asap.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:36:08 PM EDT
I don't know a doctor but I know the creator,...I'll speak to him about your paw.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:43:18 PM EDT
Well the ER checked for stroke.... I have no clue!! Goina keep looking for a help line or hot line etc!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:57:16 PM EDT
I know what it feels like if my blood sugar is 200 and it's nowhere near that bad, I'm guessing it's something besides his blood sugar level.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:07:59 PM EDT
My best advice is to be firm (but as polite as you can manage) and persistent until it gets figured out. There are numerous things that could account for the signs and symptoms and they need to be thoroughly eliminated one by one. A sudden change in mental status is never something to blow off, but sometimes relatively minor things can cause them.

Hang in there and do what you gotta do. My thoughts are with you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:18:07 PM EDT
definitely be persistent.

sounds odd, but it may be an early sign of a UTI.
In elders, the earliest signs of a UTI may be a sudden onset of confusion or inability to complete tasks that were easy two days earlier.

if one doc won't take your concerns seriously, find another one. seriously.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:29:35 PM EDT
need a carotid ultra sound. Sounds like TIA (transient ischemic attack). Comes and goes with stroke like symptoms. Cardiology can do CT Angio and determine if he has narrowing in carotid arteries. If he has critical narrowing of the arteries, endarterectomy or carotid stenting can be performed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:31:23 PM EDT
these are not diagnoises, but recommendations - you'll have to follow up with somebody later....

I would have as suspicions, transient ischemic attacks - mini strokes, that don't necessarily show up on mri's. alzheimers, and also possibly dementia.

Here are some things you could do on your own.

do a bilateral physical exam, comparing muscle strength and range of motion, looking for deficits or changes.
kind of hard for a lay person to do without training, but look on youtube for some simple videos on physical exams, and
try to do it your self.

Do some simple neuro checks - see if he can feel things equally, bilaterally. do a rhomberg to check for balance.

Do a mini mental status exam - you can find details on this on the internet.

Ask some memory questions - both recent, and of things in the past. Don't stop persuing things if you find something said in generalization, that he may try to brush off or he changes the subject on. It could show some deficits. Many people with deficits hide them really well, by brushing off the incidents where they have forgotten things, or may not even recognize that their actions aren't normal.

good luck...

ps - i don't think 200 bs is causing the problems either....

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:32:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Whitedog:
need a carotid ultra sound. Sounds like TIA (transient ischemic attack). Comes and goes with stroke like symptoms. Cardiology can do CT Angio and determine if he has narrowing in carotid arteries. If he has critical narrowing of the arteries, endarterectomy or carotid stenting can be performed.

sounds like it.

Get your dad to the hospital and make them find out whats wrong. Because its sure as hell not "nothing"
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:39:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By donne3:
definitely be persistent.

sounds odd, but it may be an early sign of a UTI.
In elders, the earliest signs of a UTI may be a sudden onset of confusion or inability to complete tasks that were easy two days earlier.

if one doc won't take your concerns seriously, find another one. seriously.

Now that you mention it, my FIL had similar issues and all it was, was a UTI.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:39:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Whitedog:

The wife agrees.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:47:40 PM EDT
Make sure you see a few different doctors, just dont take the opinion of one. prayers sent!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:51:01 PM EDT
UTI can be tested quickly with a piss test. Antibiotics work quickly. At that age a UTI can kill.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:57:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hedonist:
Not qualified, but sounds like stroke type stuff.

Get his blood worked and level him out asap.

That is what came to mind as I read that.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:05:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:23:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: We got to another hospital and they believe it is a minor stroke or small stroke! We are waiting for the neurologist to see him! There was some other doctor they was waiting for also!
Should know more Monday!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:31:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By McNutty:
UPDATE: We got to another hospital and they believe it is a minor stroke or small stroke! We are waiting for the neurologist to see him! There was some other doctor they was waiting for also!
Should know more Monday!

good - keep seeing docs until someone takes it seriously enough to figure out what's going on. minor stroke can be dealt with. once you know what's going on, you can begin treatment. what meds have they started him on?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:35:00 PM EDT
Top Top