User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow times must be good for your Pa.  

80 hour workweeks.  Overtime out the wazoo.  He's working his ass off but he definitely has the scratch to pull this off.  Wish I could convince him to buy me a motorcycle with it.

No you don't. Lots of people have motorcycles. Your dad will go to a motorcycle event and tell them you haven't got a motorcycle because he spent the money on a canon. They will rend their garments and gnash their teeth. He will be the light and the way.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'd spend the $8500 on pussy and blow  

I'd spend it on:
More Ammo

A Flattop Upper for my M16A1

A Better spotter scope.

6 power Trijicon for my M16A1

A new barrel for my Remington PSS (PPS) that's threaded for....

A Suppressor for the Remington etc.

And the rest would be used to buy subsonic ammo for the above.

Hmmmm.....I think I need more than the $8500.....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Trying to picture my dad with a little halo...failing.  Now with little horns, yeah I can see that.    Just called and talked to him after he got home.  He told mom about the cannon and about all she would say was "only do it if your REALLY committed to it."  Its not exactly mom approved, but she didn't just cast in into the dirt like we were expecting anyway.  Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.  My fiance thinks we're both crazy, and is a little worried about future purchases I may make.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wait...what are the legalities of opwning a functioning black powder cannon? i thought anything over .68 was a DD/AOW.

am i just ignert?

[edit: i obviously know next to nothing about black powder, so go gentle on me]

Non fixed-cartridge black-powder and muzzle loaders are 'non-firearms' to the ATF.

Completely unregulated.

Stuff like cap-and-ball revolvers, paper-cartridge muzzle-loaders, and muzzle-loading cannon are not considered guns under US law, and can be bought and sold just like a hunk of metal.

ahhh...ok.  thanks for the response, BTW.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Trying to picture my dad with a little halo...failing.  Now with little horns, yeah I can see that.    Just called and talked to him after he got home.  He told mom about the cannon and about all she would say was "only do it if your REALLY committed to it."  Its not exactly mom approved, but she didn't just cast in into the dirt like we were expecting anyway.  Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.  My fiance thinks we're both crazy, and is a little worried about future purchases I may make.  

If she's only "worried", and not screaming "HELL NO TO ANY AND ALL RANDOM FUN SHIT YOU MIGHT WANT TO BUY ON A WHIM IN THE FUTURE," sounds like you've got a keeper.

But you know the rulez, man.  Pics.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I know I've posted these before, but you guys keep asking for them.  I'll note that she did end up talking me out of buying a sig 556 I found at a pretty low price.  She was right too, I simply didn't need it.  I'm going to use the money I saved not buying it to pick up a 357 lever action and revolver in a month or so.

And here's a badly taken ridiculous dinner pic I never posted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Well?? Did your dad buy the cannon?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Not that one specifically.  He doesn't want to have to haul around something that big, so he talked to guy selling it and is going to get a mountain howitzer instead.  It'll look something like this.  He's going to sell a BMW motorcycle he doesn't ride anymore to pay for it.  He's also already looking onto full reenactment gear for himself, mom, my finacee, and I.  Looks like we're all about to get into reenacting in a big way.  My fiancee is excited about the dances and dresses, I'm excited because it gives me an excuse to buy more guns!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Specifically a reproduction 1841 6 pound cannon like this one.

http://www.artillerysociety.co.uk/images/6lbCannon2.jpg

He just called me from a Civil War reenactment at Reed's Bridge in Jacksonville and told me a guy was offering to sell it to him for $8500.  I convinced him to wait for me to join him tomorrow before he makes a decision, and it wasn't easy doing so.  My question is, is that a good deal, and how small a coffin will I need to bury him in when my mom is done with him?

repo civil war cannon are not cheap. without knowing the details i say the price 'seems' cheap. but for that amount of money, i would research to make sure.

i have seen several demonstrations of a federal rifled cannon. i cant remember the size. but it was not small. guys demoing it were serious folks and though the demo i saw as blanks, they described accuracy competition at about 1 mile at said it was dead on.

the barrel was machined and that piece alone cost 20,000 and that was at least 15 years ago. (perhaps because it was rifled the cost was so high).

i think it fired 3 inch parrot shells like this:
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Your dad is awesome.  I wish he was my dad!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#11]
How come that this wasn't posted yet:

How to hunt deer with a howitzer
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
He can't buy just one. He needs a matching set.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reenacting? REENACTING? Are you joking? Why on earth would you want to do that? That's like a bunch or 10-year-olds playing with toy guns. If you want to REALLY get into the Civil War stuff, go with the North-South Skirmish Association. Those guys shoot REAL bullets, and shoot REAL cannons with REAL cannonballs.

Take a look at N-SSA.ORG

Remember: "Real Men Don't Shoot Blanks".

Must be tough to get enough people to play confederates, if they use real bullets they must go through them pretty fast.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not that one specifically.  He doesn't want to have to haul around something that big, so he talked to guy selling it and is going to get a mountain howitzer instead.  It'll look something like this.  He's going to sell a BMW motorcycle he doesn't ride anymore to pay for it.  He's also already looking onto full reenactment gear for himself, mom, my finacee, and I.  Looks like we're all about to get into reenacting in a big way.  My fiancee is excited about the dances and dresses, I'm excited because it gives me an excuse to buy more guns!

Here are some examples of Coehorn mortors. http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/mortars.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I know I've posted these before, but you guys keep asking for them. I'll note that she did end up talking me out of buying a sig 556 I found at a pretty low price. She was right too, I simply didn't need it. I'm going to use the money I saved not buying it to pick up a 357 lever action and revolver in a month or so.

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/HairBear03/Photo047.jpg?t=1284178542

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/HairBear03/Photo140-1.jpg?t=1284178607

And here's a badly taken ridiculous dinner pic I never posted:

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/HairBear03/Sausage%20Balls/Photo133.jpg?t=1284178654

Pretty, real pretty...

very sexy mouth !
oh btw.., that cannon is awesome !
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are some examples of Coehorn mortors. http://www.cannonsuperstore.com/mortars.htm

They had a few examples of those at the reenactment, but no one was firing them so we didn't get to see them in action .  We talked about him getting one as a 'gateway' cannon, but dad is determined.  He went back to the reenactment Sunday without me and got to play cannon crew on a mountain howitzer.  I'm not into this as heavily as he is, but dammit that made me jealous!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:09:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
- Which kind of fuse is that?

- Cannon fuse.

- What the hell you use if for?

- My cannon.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Reenacting? REENACTING? Are you joking? Why on earth would you want to do that? That's like a bunch or 10-year-olds playing with toy guns. If you want to REALLY get into the Civil War stuff, go with the North-South Skirmish Association. Those guys shoot REAL bullets, and shoot REAL cannons with REAL cannonballs.

Take a look at N-SSA.ORG

Remember: "Real Men Don't Shoot Blanks".

That is a bullshit statement if ever I read one. Just about every swinging dick in the N-SSA is or has been involved in reenacting.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top