Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 4:25:26 PM EDT
Found out at work I am heading to the Marshalls for a few weeks. It appears I will be staying on the military base, and other than the historical aspect, I am not sure what else to do there. I plan on some dives on my off time, but what else can I or should I expect?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:36:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 4:37:36 PM EDT by cmjohnson]
It was the site of some serious action in WWII and the odds of finding some war relics are fairly high...especially if you look for them.

But you don't want to be messing with any UXO so be careful of what you pick up.

In fact, I think you're not supposed to be prospecting for souvenirs on kwaj. It's allegedly against the rules. Because no security
personnel want to have anything to do with picking up pieces of you.

Incidentally, there's no D in kwajalein.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:37:18 PM EDT
There is not a lot to do, it is a rather small island. Diving should be excellent, fishing should be excellent too. Everyone rides bikes around the island. Some fantastic technology there though. My sister-in-law lives on Ebeye which is where many of the locals live, it has a nickname as the garbage dump of the Pacific - it lives up to that reputation.

My wife is from Kosrae in the Carolines (Micronesia) and I spent 6 months on CAT Team for the Army, my Battalion also sent a CAT Team to Kwaj. If you can swing it visit Micronesia, tremendous diving (Chuuk = Truk), Kosrae I can tell you has virgin reefs and extremely friendly people also virtually no tourists to contend with.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:40:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:42:30 PM EDT
snorkle, golf 9 holes right off the runway and fish for tuna
when you get there see if doug jackson or pat dowel are still there good dudes. ( they may have rotated to diego )

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:45:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
It was the site of some serious action in WWII and the odds of finding some war relics are fairly high...especially if you look for them.

But you don't want to be messing with any UXO so be careful of what you pick up.

In fact, I think you're not supposed to be prospecting for souvenirs on kwaj. It's allegedly against the rules. Because no security
personnel want to have anything to do with picking up pieces of you.

Incidentally, there's no D in kwajalein.

waaaiittt a minute I hear a "D" in there somewhere, but for me the "L" is silent in wolf, and most h's. So what do I know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:01:00 PM EDT
Almost 20 years ago I nearly took a job there running an old landing craft between 2 islands.

Apparently the islanders that work on Kwaj can (or at least then) could not overnight on Kwaj and had to be ferried across towork there.

IIRC, it was a 2 year contract, with all expenses paid and a low end wage, but with no living expenses and tax-free, you could slam it into the bank account and come home with a nice chunk of change.

You could only come back to the States for a couple of weeks a year or you would lose your tax-exempt status.

20 years ago, coming home with 40K meant something.

The gig I have now came along so I took it instead.

Glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:09:47 PM EDT
I am staying on Kwaj at night ( from what I hear it will be like heaven compared to off Kwaj) I have to catch a ferry to the off island to work and come back in the afternoon. Should be an experience.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:10:57 PM EDT
Coconut Crab Hunt?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:17:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By salsa:
I am staying on Kwaj at night ( from what I hear it will be like heaven compared to off Kwaj) I have to catch a ferry to the off island to work and come back in the afternoon. Should be an experience.

Having AC is a blessing, not much AC on Ebeye also Ebeye's power grid is not that dependable. There is a bar on Kwaj, so will be able to get a cold brew.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:21:51 PM EDT
Ebeye is the island I am working on fixing their water plants. I hear besides the no ac, and the running water for 30 minutes a day, the roaches come out in the day time with billy clubs shaking you down for coin. At least that is what I have heard...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:26:12 PM EDT
BTW, what is protocol on a .mil base? Can I take pictures and all that, or is that a no-no?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:31:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 5:33:29 PM EDT by KalihiJack]
BTW, what is protocol on a .mil base? Can I take pictures and all that, or is that a no-no?

Can take pictures...not much of a military base as compared to say Benning...as others said good diving and golf...about it. Hope your bike legs are up for bike riding, tons of bikes, very few (a handful) cars. Can buy a bike when you get there and leave it...well it might leave you due to the rust problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:39:36 PM EDT

You will more than likely get a brief on what you can take pics of, do not violate it or you will be on the next flight on Air Mic back to Hawaii.

Ebeye really is an eye sore, it overpacked with people and the islanders can't keep anything running, oh be prepared for "Island time". Island time means when you tell a Islander to be at a certain place and time, he will likely be 2 to 3 hours late or not show up at all. I personally think the Marshall Islands is a shithole, the Caroline Islands are much nicer and cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:41:31 PM EDT
Haven't been there, but I knew someone (civilian, but former mil) who was working there in the mid-80s.

He sent us a video. Nice place, but tiny. There were sea turtles in the canals.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:46:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
Haven't been there, but I knew someone (civilian, but former mil) who was working there in the mid-80s.

He sent us a video. Nice place, but tiny. There were sea turtles in the canals.

Hmm, sea turtles are tasty, they are really good when cooked in earth oven. Man, I miss Kosrae!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:46:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eodtech2000:

You will more than likely get a brief on what you can take pics of, do not violate it or you will be on the next flight on Air Mic back to Hawaii.

Ebeye really is an eye sore, it overpacked with people and the islanders can't keep anything running, oh be prepared for "Island time". Island time means when you tell a Islander to be at a certain place and time, he will likely be 2 to 3 hours late or not show up at all. I personally think the Marshall Islands is a shithole, the Caroline Islands are much nicer and cleaner.

This is why I am going...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:00:18 PM EDT

This is why I am going...

Unfortunately, it is a common theme in the Pacific, they can't keep anything running beyond a spear gun. On my wife's island, a drunk power company worker left some wrenches in the island's generator, you know what happened when the generator was turned on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:13:14 PM EDT
I am just bummed there is no British Club like in Bahrain. I guess I will survive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:18:27 PM EDT
Please take pictures of whatever you're allowed to, and post 'em!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:27:16 PM EDT
Was there about 12 years ago. Fun for a couple of weeks.
Oh, and a HUGE lesbian and gay population among the US support contractors.
Snorkling and diving were magnificent.
Ebeye is an amazing shithole.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:41:09 PM EDT
I spent 6 months their when I was in the 84th eng. at Schofeild Bks. Im sure alot has changed since 93 but I had a hell of a time Alcohol was cheap so we partied all the time. They had a softball league we played in. Learned how to scuba dive their and snorkeld quite a bit. Good times.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:41:25 PM EDT
forgot to add the plant life on Ennylabegan at the south tip is worth collecting

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:03:27 PM EDT
I've been anchored off of it back in 89.

Didn't get to go ashore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:24:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 8:25:40 PM EDT by eodtech2000]
Originally Posted By rdymixer:
I spent 6 months their when I was in the 84th eng. at Schofeild Bks. Im sure alot has changed since 93 but I had a hell of a time Alcohol was cheap so we partied all the time. They had a softball league we played in. Learned how to scuba dive their and snorkeld quite a bit. Good times.

What Company of the 84th were you in? There were two guys from Oregon in my Platoon in Charlie.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:21:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By rdymixer:

What Company of the 84th were you in? There were two guys from Oregon in my Platoon in Charlie.

small world.
i commanded Alpha.
Top Top