Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 3:10:44 PM EDT
I went to a co-worker's citizenship ceremony today. It was really cool.

People were crying as they took the oath. I'll admit it was a little dusty in the room for me too.
The girl I work with has been here for five years legally. Her husband only just got the paperwork necessary to come here from the Philippines. She's been away from her family and working toward citizenship all that time.
In our office 30 people we had a little over 20 show up to support her.

I've been looking like this most of the day.

I recommend going to one of these ceremonies. It'll make you think about the stuff we take for granted
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:12:35 PM EDT
I've been to 3 of them. Chokes me up every time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:18:01 PM EDT
Both sets of my grandparents were naturalized citizens. Thank God they had the courage to come here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:29:47 PM EDT
Excellent.

Although it makes me even MORE pissed at the illegal miscreants who don't want to go through the proper procedures.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:30:08 PM EDT
Well, it say's a lot for the folks you know! Jumping the fence, crapping out a kid, joining a street gang and collecting the welfare seems to be the popular way to do it these days.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:17:13 PM EDT
Did it myself. Although it took along time to become a citizen, it was worth it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:32:40 PM EDT
Good for them for doing it the right way!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:37:14 PM EDT
makes you feel good when its done right
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:38:21 PM EDT
Good for her!!!

Tell her welcome to the craziness that is being an American Citizen.

May she be able to live the American Dream to the best of her abilities.

As an aside, did she say how difficult it was for her to emigrate from the Philippines? I have a friend there that would love to come live and work here. She is an attorney BTW.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:49:49 PM EDT
Why go through the all the trouble?

Just sneak in here, shit out a kid, collect welfare ,and obamasama will give you amnesty soon enough!

I became a citizen 11 years ago, after having been here over a decade and starting the citizenship process for about 3 years. Same with the rest of my family.

Any wonder why I hate illegal immigration?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:04:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Atomic_Ferret:
Good for her!!!

Tell her welcome to the craziness that is being an American Citizen.

May she be able to live the American Dream to the best of her abilities.

As an aside, did she say how difficult it was for her to emigrate from the Philippines? I have a friend there that would love to come live and work here. She is an attorney BTW.

I wonder the same. My cousin says she's been wanting to move here for three years, but I don't talk to her enough to know why it hasn't worked out.

My mom said getting her citizenship was a pretty huge PITA (she's from the Philippines as well).

Pisses me off every time I see an illegal enjoying the free ride. I tend to take that personally.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:26:36 PM EDT
I have a friend in the Philipines that wants to come here too. I would be interested in any info you could pass on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:58:21 PM EDT
Good for your co-worker!!!
Top Top