Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:32:43 AM EDT
Made the mistake of buying a cheap aftermarket bulb for the car (H7 type)...it got hot enough to melt the factory plug for the bulb. I can get replacement plugs for under $6 from the car parts store...

But I'm not sure on the best way to join to the existing wiring....just strip, twist and heat shrink? Is there a better way? Want something that is fairly solid and won't likely develop heat issues (the bulb is 'enclosed" by the lens in the front and the rear area is covered by a plastic cap with an O-ring...presumably so it doesn't get wet).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:34:10 AM EDT
If it doesn't get wet, then twist and tape will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:35:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 9:35:20 AM EDT by VacaDuck]

Originally Posted By AFARR:
Made the mistake of buying a cheap aftermarket bulb for the car (H7 type)...it got hot enough to melt the factory plug for the bulb. I can get replacement plugs for under $6 from the car parts store...

But I'm not sure on the best way to join to the existing wiring....just strip, twist and heat shrink? Is there a better way? Want something that is fairly solid and won't likely develop heat issues (the bulb is 'enclosed" by the lens in the front and the rear area is covered by a plastic cap with an O-ring...presumably so it doesn't get wet).

Thanks!

Join them together with insulated butt splices and heat shrink 'em.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:35:32 AM EDT
Strip wires

slide on shrink tube ( the part i ALWAYS forget)

crimp on non insulated butt connector

solder non insulated butt connector

slide down shrink tube and shrink.

Pretty much anything else has the capacity to corrode and fail at the worst possible time
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:36:19 AM EDT
Solder and heat shrink or tape, or marine style heat shrink butt connectors. Twist and tape is not gonna hold up in an automotive environment, too much vibration.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:37:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2010 9:37:31 AM EDT by INI]
doubletap
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:42:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:42:59 AM EDT
Environmental splices, heat shrink, wrap with f-4 tape.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:45:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sprayandpray:
Strip wires

slide on shrink tube ( the part i ALWAYS forget)

crimp on non insulated butt connector

solder non insulated butt connector

slide down shrink tube and shrink.

Pretty much anything else has the capacity to corrode and fail at the worst possible time

+1
Top Top