Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2010 6:20:47 AM EDT
Which do I get? I have a 3GS now. Looking at iPhone 4 or Samsung Captivate. Any suggestions? Buying one or the other in less than hour. Pick my next phone for me. I'll buy whichever gets the most suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Anything Android > iPhone
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:22:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you aren't married to the iPhone, try out the Captivate/Android.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Fuck Apple. I hate my iPhone.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd take a Droid phone next time around.  Love my iPhone, but it's ... lacking.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you like the 3gs? If so, the Iphone is just more of the same, really.

If you were unhappy with the 3gs, then the captivate is worth playing with, at least. Both platforms are converging awfully fast, and the captivate and Iphone 4 have fairly similar hardware. I don't know if there is any pricing difference between the two and their plans, but that's where I would make my call right now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:38:19 AM EDT
[#7]
My wife is trying to decide between the iPhone and an android phone. If you decide to get the captivate, yo can get it considerably cheaper through wireless.amazon.com.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate my iPhone...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Don't ask about Mac or iphone here.  You get fanboy answers non stop.

How's that netflix on your Droid working out?  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I you like fucking with things and micro-managing, get an Android phone. If not, the iPhone. I have an iPhone 4 and hate the faggotry of iTunes. I had an Evo, but the Google "cloud" was full of even more faggotry so I switched back to the iPhone. The iPhone has much better build quality than the Evo I had. Unsure about Samsung's quality.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't ask about Mac or iphone here.  You get fanboy answers non stop.

How's that netflix on your Droid working out?  

I've had a DROID, then I had an iPhone 4, now I have a DROID X. I'm speaking from experience. How's Flash working out on your iPhone?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Hows the bluetooth working out on that iphone?

ETA: I use Flixster to watch the que movies on my netflix account VIA MY DROID.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Considering it never worked well on the Evo, I'd say it works fine on my iPhone. I assume Froyo has helped, but flash sucked ass on Android when I had one. ;)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I upgraded from a iPhone 3G to a Captivate about 2 months ago.

So far I like it a lot.  There are some things that iPhone does better.  Visual voicemail is nice and you have to set up Google voicemail to get a similar experience with the Android phone.

You can use something like Double Twist to synch between iTunes and your Android phone.  It works pretty well but is still not as dumbed down user friendly as iTunes.  Take that from someone who does not like iTunes.

Battery life is not great but no worse than my old 3G so it's probably better than a 3GS.  

Apps wise there are LOTS of available free apps on Android and I prefer the interface over iPhone except for moving icons around.  The icon manager in iTunes was a nice feature but I haven't searched for a similar tool for Android.

Speed wise the new Captivate is HANDS DOWN faster than my old 3G but that's to be expected.

The camera and video recording is very good on my Captivate.  The screen is fantastic but no better than a iPhone 4.  Specs wise it's actually a little worse but I doubt you can tell the difference on such a small screen.

You can get the Captivate for $150 at Best Buy or Wal Mart with 16gb of internal memory.  And it has a micro SD card slot that will accept up to a 32gb card.

So it's substantially cheaper up front than a iPhone 4.

Call quality is very good but signal strength is nothing to write home about.  So depending on how good ATT is in your area could affect your experience with it.  Where I am at ATT coverage is very good so it's not a big deal.

Good phone.  I don't miss my iPhone 3g at all other than visual voicemail.

I hope Android 2.2 fixes a few nagging glitches that make it even more user friendly.  More iPhone like in some regards.  :)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I've got a Captivate and really like it. Bonus points for running Android and telling Jobs to stick it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top