Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:23:30 PM EDT
I am looking to get a new rifle. I have been seriously considering getting a black SCAR 16s.
I have the basics covered as well as plenty of ammo and mags.
Would you get one?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:25:12 PM EDT
I'd get one but thats because I like military/police firearms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:25:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 4:26:37 PM EDT by struckzb]
I bought one a few months ago and put about 100 rnds through it. It's a great rifle and performed wonderfully in the short time I've had it. That said I am selling it and buying another AR. For what I need an AR can do the same and for less.

ETA: The gas piston is nice, runs a lot cleaner, and i like the monolithic uppers. But they make AR's that have all of the above and that's what I intend on going with.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:33:55 PM EDT
There's cheaper piston alternatives.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:44:46 PM EDT
I think it's a great $1200.00 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:45:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 3-gun:

No one is talking about the ACR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:47:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Venkman:

He said $1200. Dont know how you could mistake that for the ACR's price point...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:02 PM EDT
If you want one, get one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:56:38 PM EDT
I'm getting the Scar 17s as soon as I possibly can.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:57:30 PM EDT
I checked one out the other day. Pretty cool but I'm perfectly happy with my MRPs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:59:01 PM EDT
I'll give you a scar for a hundred bucks

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 5:00:32 PM EDT by ED_P]
I'm always interested in owning the Civilian equivalent of what our military has used or is currently using. I'm grateful I live in a Country and State where I can do that, eventhough it's only semiauto.

Since it looks like the Scar 16 may not be adopted, I'm honestly not as interested. And the price has to get more reasonable even if they are going to adopt it in the future.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:49 PM EDT
I love mine... but then again I've already saved up enough for when the Heavy model is out for a little bit
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:01:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ridge_Runner_5:

He said $1200. Dont know how you could mistake that for the ACR's price point...

Sarcasm could have something to do with it.

Just maybe...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 5:05:24 PM EDT by fmfcorpsman]
If you like crap then go get one. Just kidding, but seriously, just get a good AR and you much happier. If you already have an AR or two, then get three or four. I remember when I heard rumors of the military switching to the SCAR, those rumors went away quickly when the performance tests showed they were crap. Now they are talking about the HK or IAR taking over.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:03:38 PM EDT
If you want a SCAR, I'd probably get the 17. Isn't that one supposed to be 5.56 capable with a bolt/lower change? Haters/naysayers aside, I'd rather have an ACR personally, but the SCAR is a good gun. If you want one and have the money, by all means get one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:03:42 PM EDT
Why not?

As Tyler Durden said, "I don't wanna die without any SCARs!"
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:12:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fmfcorpsman:
If you like crap then go get one. Just kidding, but seriously, just get a good AR and you much happier. If you already have an AR or two, then get three or four. I remember when I heard rumors of the military switching to the SCAR, those rumors went away quickly when the performance tests showed they were crap. Now they are talking about the HK or IAR taking over.

Uhh, you might want to fact check yourself. Just saying.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 5:19:37 PM EDT by Jeeper21]
I handled one for the first time last week and personally, if money were no object I'd easily go for the SCAR. It feels lighter and more balanced in my hands than an equivalent AR. I've yet to fire one though...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:16:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ShurShot:

I am just saying what I heard over the years is all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:22:54 PM EDT

The Mk17 just got approved for full production from the DoD in Aug. There are Scar Mk16s and Mk17s putting holes in Taliban probably as we speak. Not crap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:25:40 PM EDT
The Scar 17 - yes... the 5.56 - no.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:00 PM EDT
Yes get a SCAR, or if you're more into long range precision stuff, maybe gamble a little on them releasing the MK20 to the public. You have a PM.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:27:21 PM EDT
MK-16 and MK-17 are both in service with SOCOM. They're not buying additional MK16 because they're using the caliber change kits on the MK17 to go back to 5.56 as needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:28:05 PM EDT

The Mk17 just got approved for full production from the DoD in Aug. There are Scar Mk16s and Mk17s putting holes in Taliban probably as we speak. Not crap.

All of the Mk16s at SOCOM are getting turned in. Mk17s are getting some use though.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:28:56 PM EDT

Good deal. I have been a little out of the rumor bubble due to this work up. I know that it has taken a long time to fix the bugs and get them working how they need to be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 5:31:17 PM EDT by 3-gun]
Originally Posted By Ridge_Runner_5:

Sarcasm could have something to do with it.

Just maybe...

thank you..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:32:49 PM EDT
It depends.

Do you collect military firearms primarily or have effective weapons for SHTF that also can be used for sport and fun?

If it is the former, I'd get it. The second, I'd skip it since it does nothing an AR or other platform will not do for more money, more weight and a lack of ability to stock up on spare parts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:32:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By S-1:

All of the Mk16s at SOCOM are getting turned in. Mk17s are getting some use though.

Also, the Mk17 has the common receiver that can be adapted down to 5.56 as I understand it. Good kit.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:33:37 PM EDT

Are you just making things up about it being crap? Please give some references to back up your statement, otherwise you are just talking out your ass.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:34:19 PM EDT
Do it I did .
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:37:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SaintMichaelArms:
It depends.

Do you collect military firearms primarily or have effective weapons for SHTF that also can be used for sport and fun?

If it is the former, I'd get it. The second, I'd skip it since it does nothing an AR or other platform will not do for more money, more weight and a lack of ability to stock up on spare parts.

State of the art .308 battle rifle 8lbs empty for $2500-ish. If that isn't at least somewhat interesting to you I don't know what is.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:38:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wespe:

Are you just making things up about it being crap? Please give some references to back up your statement, otherwise you are just talking out your ass.

Yes I'm also interested in these performance tests.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:40:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By higginsworksforme:
Originally Posted By Wespe:

Yes I'm also interested in these performance tests.

I am just saying what I heard. Gosh dang guys, get a life.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:41:17 PM EDT
I would get one for something to round out the collection. Would I rather have one over an AR? No.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:42:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By struckzb:
I bought one a few months ago and put about 100 rnds through it. It's a great rifle and performed wonderfully in the short time I've had it. That said I am selling it and buying another AR. For what I need an AR can do the same and for less.

ETA: The gas piston is nice, runs a lot cleaner, and i like the monolithic uppers. But they make AR's that have all of the above and that's what I intend on going with.

Why did you spend that kind of money and only put 100 rds through it? Just curious. Seems like a big investment to buy then turn around and
have to screw around with selling it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rable44:

Why did you spend that kind of money and only put 100 rds through it? Just curious. Seems like a big investment to buy then turn around and

Well, I've had it for a few months and that's all I've really been able to get out and shoot it. I want to pay off a credit card, and take a vacation this winter, so I'm reluctantly selling it. I will be putting the rest of the money towards a Vltor VIS upper probably. Great gun and is a tack driver, but like I said I would rather get an AR that I can modify how I wish.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:53:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rable44:

Well, I've had it for a few months and that's all I've really been able to get out and shoot it. I want to pay off a credit card, and take a vacation this winter, so I'm reluctantly selling it. I will be putting the rest of the money towards a Vltor VIS upper probably. Great gun and is a tack driver, but like I said I would rather get an AR that I can modify how I wish.

I have a Noveske Recon in a VIS-3 upper and I cannot say that is a bad decision.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:54:15 PM EDT
It's a bit rich for my blood, but it looks really nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 5:58:09 PM EDT by lunyou]
I'd wait for a 17. But personally I would love to have a bullpup something or other.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SaintMichaelArms:
It depends.

State of the art .308 battle rifle 8lbs empty for $2500-ish. If that isn't at least somewhat interesting to you I don't know what is.

Interesting, sure, but not 2500 interesting.

The 308 version has more going for it, but still a nice 308 AR can equal or better the characteristics and would be a bit cheaper.

Like I said, collect, or buy practical rifles for a specific mission. There isn't anything wrong with either mindset.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:27:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 6:33:12 PM EDT by jmftexas]
Thanks for all the input guys, it is much appreciated.

I have multiple ARs, AKs, an STG-556, FAL etc so the SCAR would just be to add to the collection. I think it is an interesting rifle
and would be buying it simply for the pleasure of owning it. Other rifles I am considering are:

1. LMT MRP 10.5" (not sure I want to get into NFA right now)
2. Knights SR-15 (already have multiple AR pattern rifles, would like some diversity)
3. Larue OBR Lite (see above)
4. ACR (I will eventually get one, but am waiting for a 14.5" LW 1/7 barrel with a pinned flash hider)

Thanks again everyone

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:31:46 PM EDT
Gets too hot to handle on the front end. Keep this in mind.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:11:03 PM EDT
It's a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:15:53 PM EDT
Top Top