Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:22:47 PM EDT

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2010/09/09/20100909male-dancing-attraction-study.html
Study: Flamboyant male dancing attracts women best
Sept. 9, 2010 07:19 AM
Associated Press .
LONDON - John Travolta was onto something. Women are most attracted to male dancers who have big, flamboyant moves similar to the actor's trademark style, British scientists say in a new study.

Kris McCarty and colleagues at Northumbria University and the University of Gottingen in Germany asked 19 men aged 18 to 35 who were not professional dancers to dance in a laboratory for one minute to a basic drum rhythm. They filmed the men's movements with a dozen cameras, and then turned those movements into computer-generated avatars so the study could focus on moves, not appearances.

Scientists then showed the dancing avatars to 37 women, who rated their skills on a scale of 1 to 7. According to the women, the best dancers were those who had a wide range of dance moves and focused on the head, neck and torso.

The research was published this week in the journal, Biology Letters, a publication of Britain's Royal Society. It was paid for by Northumbria University.

"In principle, it is possible to break down the motion patterns that are informative and attractive to women," said Rufus Johnstone, a reader in the evolution of animal behavior at Cambridge University. He was not connected to the research.

Johnstone said there were similarities between animal mating rituals and what happens in modern dance clubs.

"There are lots of cues females use when choosing a mate, like a peacock puffing out its tail," he said. "Dancing for humans could signal whether a male is fit because it requires the expenditure of a lot of energy."

Nick Neave, an evolutionary psychologist at Northumbria University and one of the study's co-authors, said women may subconsciously judge how fit a man is by the fluidity of his dancing. He said their research was likely subjective and different cultures would have different measures for what constitutes good dancing.

Neave advised bad dancers to improve their core body moves.

"The movements around the head, neck and trunk were the most important," he said. "The good dancers had lots of different movements and used them with flair and creativity."

Johnstone said men who are bad dancers shouldn't despair.

"Among animals, courtship rituals are very important when there are very obvious physical displays," he said. "In humans, I suspect it is much more complicated and may come down to more than whether or not a man is a good dancer."
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:24:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––­––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2010/09/09/20100909male-dancing-attraction-study.html
Sept. 9, 2010 07:19 AM
Associated Press .
LONDON - John Travolta was onto something. Women are most attracted to male dancers who have big, flamboyant moves similar to the actor's trademark style, British scientists say in a new study.

Kris McCarty and colleagues at Northumbria University and the University of Gottingen in Germany asked 19 men aged 18 to 35 who were not professional dancers to dance in a laboratory for one minute to a basic drum rhythm. They filmed the men's movements with a dozen cameras, and then turned those movements into computer-generated avatars so the study could focus on moves, not appearances.

Scientists then showed the dancing avatars to 37 women, who rated their skills on a scale of 1 to 7. According to the women, the best dancers were those who had a wide range of dance moves and focused on the head, neck and torso.

The research was published this week in the journal, Biology Letters, a publication of Britain's Royal Society. It was paid for by Northumbria University.

"In principle, it is possible to break down the motion patterns that are informative and attractive to women," said Rufus Johnstone, a reader in the evolution of animal behavior at Cambridge University. He was not connected to the research.

Johnstone said there were similarities between animal mating rituals and what happens in modern dance clubs.

"There are lots of cues females use when choosing a mate, like a peacock puffing out its tail," he said. "Dancing for humans could signal whether a male is fit because it requires the expenditure of a lot of energy."

Nick Neave, an evolutionary psychologist at Northumbria University and one of the study's co-authors, said women may subconsciously judge how fit a man is by the fluidity of his dancing. He said their research was likely subjective and different cultures would have different measures for what constitutes good dancing.

Neave advised bad dancers to improve their core body moves.

"The movements around the head, neck and trunk were the most important," he said. "The good dancers had lots of different movements and used them with flair and creativity."

Johnstone said men who are bad dancers shouldn't despair.

"Among animals, courtship rituals are very important when there are very obvious physical displays," he said. "In humans, I suspect it is much more complicated and may come down to more than whether or not a man is a good dancer."

There's hope for me, then.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:26:43 PM EDT
Go to any club, women generally prefer the guy that dances the best by a longshot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:29:02 PM EDT
Sorry guys...

...but this guy is swimming in pie.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:30:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 4:31:13 PM EDT by capnrob97]
Explains why Pee Wee got all the chicks.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:37:34 PM EDT
been known to cut a little rug in my day...i would say this is true...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:55:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Fearlessleader01:
Go to any club, women generally prefer the guy that dances the best by a longshot.

Worked in a club for years and the above statement is 100% true. Girls love guys who dance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:59:36 PM EDT
It's still just an animal thing, whether they want to admit it or not. Like the man beating his chest, growling, or fighting with other men.

It's an over the top physical display of confidence, fitness, and prowess. Look at me, I'm a brilliant specimen to mate with.

I can't dance for shit though, so I'm out of luck there!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:06:12 PM EDT

Not the way I do it!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:10:03 PM EDT
I can't dance worth a shit. Guess it's a good thing I stuck to dragging them back to the cave by the hair.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:12:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:20:16 PM EDT
In the mid-80s i danced in a cage at a (hetero) nightclub in Chicago. It was like fishing for trout at a stock pond.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:20:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Extorris:
Originally Posted By Fearlessleader01:

Worked in a club for years and the above statement is 100% true. Girls love guys who dance.

This works out for me, because I never cared for girls who went clubbing. Win/Win. They don't have to suffer through me, and I, them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:21:49 PM EDT
I remember going out with a bunch of Marines once, and they were making fun of the one kid who knew how to do all the current dances. But he was the only one to head home with a girl that night.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:36:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LowBeta:
In the mid-80s i danced in a cage at a (hetero) nightclub in Chicago. It was like fishing for trout at a stock pond.

I...I...I got nothin'.
Top Top