Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:20:29 PM EDT
I has one with around 3k original miles. It hasn't run in years. IIRC, it needed the top end rebuilt and the carb was bad. The clutch is also locked up from sitting. It could probably use a new exhaust too.

Where can I get parts for a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Time machine.

Honda likely has much of what you want, and there was a huge aftermarket.  Just don't know who has kept all those parts after all these years.  Look for a really large, really old dealer.

Nice project, certainly can be accomplished - its old, not ancient.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I raced one in the old elsinore race,I also had a CR250M, and a CR125M some bastage stole both my Elsinores,great bikes worth redoing IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Time machine.

Honda likely has much of what you want, and there was a huge aftermarket.  Just don't know who has kept all those parts after all these years.  Look for a really large, really old dealer.

Yep. You'd be surprised to see how far back Honda keeps parts for. Also, get on ADV and start poking around there. A lot of guys have older dirt bikes, too.

Oh, and post pics, dammit!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Time machine.

When I inquired about new clutch parts several years ago, the honda house quoted me something like $300. That seems....ridiculously high. The bike would probably only be worth a few hundred even if it was running and cleaned up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When I inquired about new clutch parts several years ago, the honda house quoted me something like $300. That seems....ridiculously high. The bike would probably only be worth a few hundred even if it was running and cleaned up.

Well, fabricate one from scratch then.

We didn't say the parts would be cheap, but they are available. You will probably end up having to buy 3-4 more similar bikes to get all the used parts you need. Go to swap meets, too.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The clutch might not be bad . I've had many cycles that the clutch locked up from sitting around. Rock and it back it forth in gear. It might pop out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one years ago It might have been a 72 though,black and silver tank.Great bike worth fixing up !http://www.bikeboneyard.com/honda1.html salvage yards are a great place to start.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The clutch might not be bad . I've had many cycles that the clutch locked up from sitting around. Rock and it back it forth in gear. It might pop out.

^^^ This.

Dont try squeezing too much on the clutch lever, youll just break the cable. Get some good thin oil in there and maybe work it manual. I doubt it needs replaced, youll have to take it apart and clean/sand the rust on the pressure plates im sure.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
If the prices are too high, then there is no value for you and you're going to abandon the project.  Honda keeps parts almost forever.

I own a last run CT-70 in 98% condition, I bought for $700 which had a book value of $300.  If almost anything breaks it will cost more than its "worth" - but you can't put a price on the feel of riding a 20-30-40 year old bike that runs well.

I don't know of any places that specialize in good, cheap, old parts.

You've got some research and decisions to make.

Best of luck in finding what you need.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]
dam I was hoping for a CZ or Husky Thread

I miss them torky old dirt bikes
fricken CZ would almost snap your neck coming out of a burm
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Might contact dratv.com.  They specialize in smaller bikes, but may have some parts that will work for you.  I was amazed the parts they had in stock to rebuild my 1971 Honda CT70
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, fabricate one from scratch then.

We didn't say the parts would be cheap, but they are available. You will probably end up having to buy 3-4 more similar bikes to get all the used parts you need. Go to swap meets, too.

I work weekends, and I don't know of any two wheeler swap meets anywhere near here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I work weekends, and I don't know of any two wheeler swap meets anywhere near here.

Swap meets tend to be a little more prevalent in the early spring and late fall, when the core racing season has ended. Start hanging around old motorcycle shops and you'll find out when and where they are. It takes a lot of time.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
www.chaparral-racing.com/
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^ This.

Dont try squeezing too much on the clutch lever, youll just break the cable. Get some good thin oil in there and maybe work it manual. I doubt it needs replaced, youll have to take it apart and clean/sand the rust on the pressure plates im sure.

The clutch lever moves freely and the arm it attaches to on the transmission moves freely, IIRC. I'd have to go out to the shop and play it with it to remember exactly what the problem was.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#16]
That bike isn't worth rebuilding. It should be recycled, I'll haul it off for you!

Seriously, if you can get it running again, it would be great. I love those old "real" bikes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
About 10 years ago Honda sold off a lot of their older stock.

A lot of that stuff is being collected by collectors, so that drives the price of the new or NOS stuff up.

If you go to on-line places like Bike Bandit you will see that there are a lot of parts for that 1974 XL250 are not available.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a 76 XL350, they're great bikes.  Try XLint Performance, they specialize in parts for Honda XL's.

ETA:  They don't list many of their parts online, but if you email them they have just about anything you need.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Ebay has a lot of listings for XL's.  I rode a 78' XL250 for several years, sold it to my girlfriend's dad and he still has it.  It still starts right up after just a couple kicks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#20]
check forums too, there are several Honda forums for specialty motorcycles (I tend to stick with teh twins forum as my only hondas are twins) quite often they have a for sale section with people parting out or selling NOS parts
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
www.chaparral-racing.com/

This one appears to have quite a few parts.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If the prices are too high, then there is no value for you and you're going to abandon the project.  Honda keeps parts almost forever.

I own a last run CT-70 in 98% condition, I bought for $700 which had a book value of $300.  If almost anything breaks it will cost more than its "worth" - but you can't put a price on the feel of riding a 20-30-40 year old bike that runs well.

I don't know of any places that specialize in good, cheap, old parts.

You've got some research and decisions to make.

Best of luck in finding what you need.

Chinese CT70 clones and parts are available. Might not be official Honda parts but they are compatible ( and affordable).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#23]
The '70s XL250 is a great bike. My dad had one. I rode it for a while but always prefered my 175 yamaha 2-stroke for the power/weight.

After the Yamaha 2-stroke the XL250 seemed responded like a dog.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I had one. Big and heavy, but pulled like a mule. Don't let anything happen to those magnesium side plates.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top