Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 4:07:52 PM EDT
Does anybody make a thinner buttpad or plate for the 12 gauge synthetic stock? My length of pull is about 3/4" too long. I don't want to put much money in it as it defeats the low cost nature of the gun. I don't want to try chopping off the factory stock either.

Any help?

Update 9-11 I swapped my Persuaders stock with my Maverick's stock. The Maverick was 14.5 LOP and the Persuader 14.0. Big difference. Mossberg sells 1 replacement stockwhich happens to be 14.0

I'll just have to make sure that their current stock of this part really is 14.0.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
get a hogue short stock....they are only about $60 new, and can be had cheaper...
heres one on my old 870 wingmaster I just built...its a 12" LOP stock
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The shotgun was $157.00. Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
you might not wanna hear it since thats all you spent on the gun but the hogue stock is well worth it i have one and the length of pull is perfect
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Try looking for a youth model length stock.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#5]
take off the current recoil pad and buy a plastic buttplate from an older model 500. Won't be as fun to shoot, but unless you shoot a LOT of magnum buckshot you'll be fine. The buttplate can usually be had for under $10.
ETA-didn't notice at first that you have a synthetic stock. IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try looking for a youth model length stock.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Well I would look for old one someone removed and cut that one. I went with Hogue for $60 and is well worth the feel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:03:02 PM EDT
[#8]
My Remington 1100 fits great. Why does my Mossberg feel so much longer?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have that same problem with pump shotguns, I go with semi auto only.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a cutoff saw and get to cutting. I cut about an inch off mine, reinstalled the buttpad and it looks factory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a cutoff saw and get to cutting. I cut about an inch off mine, reinstalled the buttpad and it looks factory.

This.. unscrew two screws then just chop from the inside.. then re-attach.. if your too cheap to buy a new stock then your options are limited.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 500 with a wood stock. I cut about 3/4" off of it and replaced the buttpad with a Pachmyr for a Rem 870. Fit perfectly.

Take you stock to a gun store and see if you can find one that will fit before you cut the stock then cut it to fit the new pad.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a 500 with a wood stock. I cut about 3/4" off of it and replaced the buttpad with a Pachmyr for a Rem 870. Fit perfectly.

Take you stock to a gun store and see if you can find one that will fit before you cut the stock then cut it to fit the new pad.

In the Art and Science of Shotgunning by Bob Brister, he recommends adjusting every shotgun to your specific sizing. He advocates grinding the rubber butt pad. He even suggests that rubbing the buttpad on a concrete sidewalk will do in a pinch. For most folks, great sizing changes are not needed, and furthermore the heel or the toe of the pad may need the attention.

The Mossberg pad looks to be at least 1 1/2 inches. I think mine needs a little removed from the toe "bottom" of the pad. Maybe 1/4 to 1/8".

Any competitive shotgunners on here?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Is this a self defense shotgun or hunting/sporting clays?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:13:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the Art and Science of Shotgunning by Bob Brister, he recommends adjusting every shotgun to your specific sizing. He advocates grinding the rubber butt pad. He even suggests that rubbing the buttpad on a concrete sidewalk will do in a pinch. For most folks, great sizing changes are not needed, and furthermore the heel or the toe of the pad may need the attention.

The Mossberg pad looks to be at least 1 1/2 inches. I think mine needs a little removed from the toe "bottom" of the pad. Maybe 1/4 to 1/8".

Any competitive shotgunners on here?

He's also not talking about the Mossberg 500 used in a SD role...

For a cheap shotgun, just live with it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this a self defense shotgun or hunting/sporting clays?

Both... I've got 2 barrels.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Aside from the measurements you took. If you put the butt in the crotch of your elbow do you have a comfortable grip and trigger pull?

As above a standard hard plastic butt plate will work , as you mentioned trimming the recoil pad will work , replacing the stock or cutting it.  

I wouldnt worry about the standard hard butt plate bothering you. Sporting clay and upland bird loads are very light and you wount even notice the gun go off. About the only time you will even notice the thump from it is if you are shooting slugs off a bench. Or shooting up a few ammo cans worth of old lead high brass duck loads.

ETA. I personally cant wing shoot with a rubber recoil pad. They seem to snag/drag on my shirt or jacket when throwing the gun up.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:51:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Aside from the measurements you took. If you put the butt in the crotch of your elbow do you have a comfortable grip and trigger pull?

As above a standard hard plastic butt plate will work , as you mentioned trimming the recoil pad will work , replacing the stock or cutting it.  

I wouldnt worry about the standard hard butt plate bothering you. Sporting clay and upland bird loads are very light and you wount even notice the gun go off. About the only time you will even notice the thump from it is if you are shooting slugs off a bench. Or shooting up a few ammo cans worth of old lead high brass duck loads.

ETA. I personally cant wing shoot with a rubber recoil pad. They seem to snag/drag on my shirt or jacket when throwing the gun up.

I'll check the crotch of the elbow thing when I get home. What I do know is that when mounting the gun, that it's too long to the point of hurting, esp. in the toe of the buttpad.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I had to cut the lower corner off a rifles butt pad once for the same reason. It was stabbing me.  If I were you id go with trying to trim your butt pad 1st , if that doesnt work id just get a hard butt pad and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll check the crotch of the elbow thing when I get home. What I do know is that when mounting the gun, that it's too long to the point of hurting, esp. in the toe of the buttpad.

That is how length of pull is determined. From the crotch of your elbow to the first knuckle of your index finger. Then subtract 1/2 in or more depending on the clothes that you will be wearing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.. unscrew two screws then just chop from the inside.. then re-attach.. if your too cheap to buy a new stock then your options are limited.

+1.  

This is what I've done to my 870 and Super X2.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is how length of pull is determined. From the crotch of your elbow to the first knuckle of your index finger. Then subtract 1/2 in or more depending on the clothes that you will be wearing.

I'm an inch short. No wonder it hurts. When I mount the gun, I have to really stretch to get my finger in the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#23]
http://www.havlinsales.com/

Click on "web specials" in left sidebar.
Scroll half way down and fine the Mossberg Bantam buttstock for $22.00
Thank me later.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I cut one down about 4-5 inches (or as short as I could and not have the bolt sticking out of the buttpad), I just used a jigsaw.  But I didnt care what it looked like.  I did clean up the a cut a bit with a propane torch...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
http://www.havlinsales.com/

Click on "web specials" in left sidebar.
Scroll half way down and fine the Mossberg Bantam buttstock for $22.00
Thank me later.

The bantam set is wood, I want to stay synthetic.

Does anyone know if the Speedfeed stock has a shorter or different reach than the factory stock?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top