Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2010 10:52:56 AM EDT
What am I in for? I am getting conflicting reports, some say its going to whoop my ass, others say its just mild discomfort, Doctor told me to get a 2 week med leave from work, because I won't be doing anything.

Getting it done the 28th, but wanted to get the down low ahead of time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#1]
dibs on ammo
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What am I in for? I am getting conflicting reports, some say its going to whoop my ass, others say its just mild discomfort, Doctor told me to get a 2 week med leave from work, because I won't be doing anything.

Ice cream?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
dibs on ammo

mercy you were quick

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ice cream?

They told me no ice cream, just liquid pain meds and liquids in general for one week
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Google "cryptic tonsils" and "tonsil cheese" and you will be glad to be rid of your tonsils,  that is, if you had THAT particular problem.

Really nasty.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#5]
It'll help your sinuses, throat, ears... all sorts of other problems too most likely.

It will suck, but be worth it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#6]
YOu will bear a suffering like never before! If it weren't for the pain there would be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Either that or you get to enjoy the benefits of modern medecine and the narcotics that come with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It'll help your sinuses, throat, ears... all sorts of other problems too most likely.

It will suck, but be worth it.

Ya, I hope so, my adnoids were removed when I was younger, dunno why they left the tonsils. As I was having issues then.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
dibs on ammo

dibs on the guns.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
dibs on ammo

dibs on the guns.

I have a nice collection for the budget I have, you will not be displeased
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#10]
It's going to be absolutely, positively the...hang on my phone is ringing.  BRB
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I had mine out when I was 15.  It wasn't that bad.  Severe sore throat for a few days, but it starts improving.  I only missed a couple of days of school.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I had mine taken out a few hours ago and so far I haven't noticed any complic
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I was miserable for a couple days afterwards. The swelling compromised my airway so i had to sleep sitting upright.

Was worth it in the long run though. Never had a sore throat or ear infection since. Less sinus infections as well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:29:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was miserable for a couple days afterwards. The swelling compromised my airway so i had to sleep sitting upright.

Was worth it in the long run though. Never had a sore throat or ear infection since. Less sinus infections as well.

What did they prescribe pain med wise?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife had it done when she was 35.  She's normally a real trooper when it comes to working through illness or pain, but she was pretty much toast for at least a week.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What did they prescribe pain med wise?

Vicodin but I didnt take any pain meds. It wasnt painfull.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#17]
My daughter had them taken out when she was 20.  It was rough for a few days while all the scar tissue was being healed.  After then, everything was good.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I had mine taken out a few hours ago and so far I haven't noticed any complic

Except for unfinished words.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Try having them taken out twice
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
3,4,5 year olda do great!
20 year olds, well my heart goes out to you; good luck
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#21]
The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. You'll be OK. Mine were out when I was 6...spent a few hours in the hospital, took it easy for a few days.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Google "cryptic tonsils" and "tonsil cheese" and you will be glad to be rid of your tonsils,  that is, if you had THAT particular problem.
Really nasty.
CJ

aka tonsil stones...i have that problem and it is nasty and i still have my tonsils. too much of a pussy/cheapskate to get them removed though.  better to get em taken out while young to improve recovery time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I got my tonsils out a couple years ago.  I ended up bleeding a LOT like a week after surgery.  Then my first day back to work my joints started hurting.  Ended up hospitalized for 3 days with Septic arthritis.  Doubt you can beat that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.  Had mine out when I was 21 and it sucked royally.  I was down for a solid 2 weeks.. (couldn't talk, so had to stay home from work).  It's like someone's working a cheese grater on the inside of your throat every time you eat/drink/breathe.

It was worth it though.  I used to get sore throats all the time because large tonsiliths kept getting stuck in the passages.  That would cause tonsil swelling and compound the problem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Brother got his taken out at age 21.  Surgery wasn't bad, nor was the first few days.  When he started cutting back the amount of hydrocodone he was taking, that's when it got pretty rough.  Somewhere around a week after the surgery, as he was just starting to get back to normal, a scab in his throat broke off, ripping open some sort of blood vessel.  It dripped continuously down his throat for a couple days before it really got to bleeding.  First indication of that was his coughing and turning the bathroom into what looked like a crime scene.

He'd bled quite a bit down the back of his stomach by the time they finally got the bleeder in his throat cauterized again, and then they sucked at least a liter of blood out of his stomach.  He was pretty much fine after a night in the hospital, but had to go through the whole no-food-except-liquids, extreme-sore-throat thing again, essentially starting over at 0 with no painkillers.

Supposedly difficulties like that happen in only 1% of cases though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:47:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Brother got his taken out at age 21.  Surgery wasn't bad, nor was the first few days.  When he started cutting back the amount of hydrocodone he was taking, that's when it got pretty rough.  Somewhere around a week after the surgery, as he was just starting to get back to normal, a scab in his throat broke off, ripping open some sort of blood vessel.  It dripped continuously down his throat for a couple days before it really got to bleeding.  First indication of that was his coughing and turning the bathroom into what looked like a crime scene.

He'd bled quite a bit down the back of his stomach by the time they finally got the bleeder in his throat cauterized again, and then they sucked at least a liter of blood out of his stomach.  He was pretty much fine after a night in the hospital, but had to go through the whole no-food-except-liquids, extreme-sore-throat thing again, essentially starting over at 0 with no painkillers.

I guess the only good thing about the surgery besides the future lack of sore throats etc is a little bit of weight loss from the all liquid diet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#27]

I thought they could remove them with lasers now and it wasn't as bad?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I thought they could remove them with lasers now and it wasn't as bad?

Yeah, lots of people THINK that
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my best friends had his removed a few years ago at the ago of 30. He's a pretty hard salty dude thats been shot twice and stabbed once and he said it was by far the most painful thing he's ever been thru.

You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll see your 20 YO & raise you 40.

Got mine out this Spring along with the Uvula, & a Roto Rooter of the nose.

The doc had me crushing pills every 4 hours & mixing with water.  Try doing that
in the middle of the night.  Eventually got a really big bottle of liquid happiness &
things went much better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Had em out at 16 i think it was.. damn it was painful  Not quite as bad as the 4 sinus surgeries I've had which left my nose completely crippled.  Just eat lotsa ice cream, take your pain killers, and you'll be ok
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top