Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 9/9/2010 10:25:01 AM EDT
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/fbi-agents-visit-florida-609858.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hKWWJdTrfALpbYfWB6fM58p6u-pwD9I4I32G0

FBI agents visit Florida church over Quran burn
By ANTONIO GONZALEZ and MITCH STACY (AP) – 22 minutes ago

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — FBI agents visited Thursday with a minister of a small Florida church that plans to burn the Quran on Sept. 11, as public safety became a paramount concern and President Barack Obama added his voice to the chorus of opposition.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Love the pix

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Elsewhere, hundreds of angry Afghans burned an American flag and chanted "Death to the Christians" to protest the planned burning of Islam's holiest text.

Logic Fail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Where is the FBI when they burn or defile Christians symbols?

FUCKING HYPOCRITES!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a crackdown is in progress.

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/declassified/2010/09/08/fbi-keeping-watch-on-quran-burning-threat.html

The FBI has begun to collect information relating to a plan by a radical Christian pastor in Florida to stage a public Quran burning on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks this Saturday
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#5]
According to following news reports, the FBI advised the church that their membership would be under threat of retribution including assassination by hordes of radicalized moslems coming their way (MSNBC or CNN).  And, that the FBI would not be able to guarantee their safety.   Also following reports show that some of the members are beginning to crack under the strain of these threats, and removing their membership.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Peaceful religion
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
<Multiple CoC violations pre-edited>
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
some of you need to get out from under the tin foil because you would  all be jumping to hang the FBI if they had credible threats to the safety of the nut pastor and his 50 followers and sat on that info and failed to inform him of the threats
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like a crackdown is in progress.

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/declassified/2010/09/08/fbi-keeping-watch-on-quran-burning-threat.html

The FBI has begun to collect information relating to a plan by a radical Christian pastor in Florida to stage a public Quran burning on the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks this Saturday

I think this "pastor" is being a jerk, but I will be severely put out if the feds come in and stop this.  The group has every right to burn a book, as tasteless and unchristian as I find the whole idea to be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Elsewhere, hundreds of angry Afghans burned an American flag and chanted "Death to the Christians" to protest the planned burning of Islam's holiest text.

Religion of Peace
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#11]
if obunger and eric holder don't tread very carefully Mr Podunk No-Name Backwoods Hillbilly Pastor (or his surviving next-of-kin) is going to hit the civil rights jackpot and be awarded enough money to buy all of Ground Zero and build a Victory Baptist Church there and burn a koran every Sunday morning during services

I didn't even know what the guy's name was. Let him exercise his 1st Amendment rights and burn his damn books which he bought with his own money on his own property and his 15 minutes of fame are over.

Or the kenyan jackhole could send in the federal goonsquad to deprive the pastor of his civil rights and immortalize his name for all time. Then future constitutional law students at obunger's alma mater are going to be taught how one of their own alumni screwed the pooch so badly in Jones v United States.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
some of you need to get out from under the tin foil because you would  all be jumping to hang the FBI if they had credible threats to the safety of the nut pastor and his 50 followers and sat on that info and failed to inform him of the threats

Yeah, they would know that already, good thing the FBI stepped in and "warned" them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#13]
SO burning our flag is ok though?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if this is going to be another Waco?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Logic Fail.

It is a logic fail, but people like this pastor are doing their best to convince the Afghans otherwise.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#17]
if a CI or CW discloses a crediable threat to ones life they in many cases are required to notify the intended vic

They probably had some CI's with legit plans to fuck said preaches shit up and they likely feel that they can't or wont stop it so they pretty much washed their hands of it legally
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Does the government realize if they interfere with this guy and stop him, there will be a 1,000 people who will do it just because the government says we can't?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#19]
I suspect the FBI visit was not to ask/tell/command him not to burn the Koran's.

I suspect they passed on some valuable intel about what might happen if he does.  

The FBI hands are now clean if he burns them and something happens thereafter.

Just a thought.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]
This pastor may yet be the John Brown of our times.

John Brown was a tragic and probably sociopathic preacher who for better or worse put the issue of slavery front and center and was one of the more memorable characters who lead our nation to civil war.

This pastor may not be opening our eyes to a domestic civil war, but he is tearing away the tissue of lies being used to prevent us from seeing renewed conflict between the mostly secular but still in some parts christian west and the islamic east.

the real reason for all the hype about islamophobia in the MSM and the over reaction by our government in regards to this pastor IS FEAR!   Islamic bullying is causing our so called nations leaders to OVER REACT IN FEAR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#21]
You cant be serious
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why the fuck is it any of the government's business?  

If the guy wants to burn it, he should.  People can present their arguments to him for not doing it, but that's it.

If he's is forcefully prevented from burning a Koran, I will burn one.

This plus I will have marshmallows and BBQ pork ribs Call it a party
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Logic Fail.

None of those afghans have a formal education; they only know what they have been told growing up or taught by the taliban. In their eyes America is a christian country. This redneck pastor down in florida is doing more to help the taliban than the taliban could have ever hoped to accomplish on their own. When a bunch of uneducated afghanis begin to see the pictures of americans burning korans, it isn't too hard to imagine how it could be spun into all of america vs. islam... including our soldiers over there.

Burning those korans sure as hell does not help anything, and people (american soldiers) will probably end up dieing because of it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#24]
The blame for this rests directly on our Commander in Chief's head.

He set this in motion when he OK'ed the Bible burnings in 2009, yes I'm saying that had to go to the top for an OK.

He did that with complete disregard to the consequences here at home.

Well, here are the consequences of Obama's actions.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If the guy wants to burn it, he should.  People can present their arguments to him for not doing it, but that's it.

ETA:  Maybe the FBI are just there to coordinate security with him.  It's entirely possible that he's already gotten death threats.

+1 i hope they don't try to stop it and they're just there to ask about the people threatening him
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Silly and slacked jawed as I feel burning the koran (or any other book) to be, WTF happened to the first amendment?

Wonder if Imam Achmed (not a real Imam but you get the picture) said he was going to burn a frieght car load of Bibles on the Capitol Mall ,if Zero and Dick Holder would send the Feebies to his Mosque? Never mind I know the answer.

I want my fuckin country back!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't think book burning is generally a good thing but in this case with all the people getting wound up about it - BURN IT! Hell I'll fucking burn one on 9/11.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ETA:  Maybe the FBI are just there to coordinate security with him.  It's entirely possible that he's already gotten death threats.

I'm with you on that. Although I'd like to burn a holy book from every faith. I'll even throw "God Is Not Great" into the fire for the atheists.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Obama sent them to bully and scare the guy into stopping.

I hope the old guy has the balls to go through with it. Because it is too late to stop now. It will just make us look even weaker to the other side.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

As a mod, you clearly should gather every holy text, and then burn them in a pile.  To be fair and all.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

He set this in motion when he OK'ed the Bible burnings in 2009, yes I'm saying that had to go to the top for an OK.

BOOM, from 2009! http://www.kxnet.com/getForumPost.asp?ArticleId=380780

Obama orders the bibles burned in another country, but speaks against a private party burning a book.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Religion of Peace

Hypocrite much?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#33]
It is not the job of the federal government to protect the people.  it is the job of the federal government to pacify fringe groups

Why aren't we hearing from the experts on Islam that talked to us about a year after the attacks?  They clarified for us that"true" islam, as presented in the Qran IS the brand represented by the radical extremists.  This would mean burning the book is exactly the correct response to the wars the terrorists have opnened against us, and would be an important part of this discussion.  As would the US government's actions in burning bibles explicitly to prevent the spread of the Christian gospel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You should have personally paid for the bibles to be transported back home if you felt so strongly about it. Why should taxpayers pay for a misguided church's actions?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a contact in the feild office that contacted him, or at least the field office adjacent. Lemme shoot him a text message and see what he says.

ETA: I'm willing to bet money this about death threats/potential terrorism/retaliation and not about silencing the guy. If it is I will eat my crow and burn one too. But at that point we mind as well be burning the BOR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you burn a Koran and the media doesn't show up, did you really burn it?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Obama sent them to bully and scare the guy into stopping.

I hope the old guy has the balls to go through with it. Because it is too late to stop now. It will just make us look even weaker to the other side.

Most likely correct. Backing down on this shows that they can get what they want through threat of violence.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:52:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does the government realize if they interfere with this guy and stop him, there will be a 1,000 people who will do it just because the government says we can't?

This
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Only the TSA can avert Koranageddon!!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Should be interesting to see how that plays out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#42]
This isn't surprising. I'm sure the fbi is sweating bullets thinking about the possible fallout if this retarded stunt goes down.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Not to be a grammar Nazi but the topic title says "burner" as in past/present tense.

HE HAS NOT BURNED ANYTHING YET...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#44]
ROP.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#45]
A local radio show was saying this morning that membership requests were over whelming at the church.
I'll predict that this isn't the last we will hear from the Pastor.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Logic Fail.

None of those afghans have a formal education; they only know what they have been told growing up or taught by the taliban. In their eyes America is a christian country. This redneck pastor down in florida is doing more to help the taliban than the taliban could have ever hoped to accomplish on their own. When a bunch of uneducated afghanis begin to see the pictures of americans burning korans, it isn't too hard to imagine how it could be spun into all of america vs. islam... including our soldiers over there.

Burning those korans sure as hell does not help anything, and people (american soldiers) will probably end up dieing because of it.

The real help to the Taliban is the idiot who decided we would leave A'stan in 2011 and told the world.

If burning a book causes people to go apeshit and get violent, I suspect talking nice to them only postpones the ineventable. Might as well know our enimies for what they are now.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Please read this.  It adds perspective.

http://www.anncoulter.com/
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I'm betting they do, and this is about the death threats or a potential terrorist attack.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I am with you on the bolded.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Where is the FBI when they burn or defile Christians symbols?

FUCKING HYPOCRITES!

When the President wants to say something, he sends the FBI.  You don't think he's going to say anything against defiling Christian symbols when he's a Muslim, do you?  Previous administrations allowed these actions to pass, unchecked because we've been living in a nation governed by liberals and progressives.  The time for change is now.  Pray we're not too late.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top