Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/9/2010 8:07:25 AM EDT
Found a note on my door this morning, as did everyone else in my complex. It seems the City has decided to start going around and looking inside people's apartments for health and safety code violations.

Well, they can go fuck themselves! I don't know what their little game is, but the government isn't getting into MY apartment without a warrant. These assholes can go piss up a rope. Check my apartment for safety violations. They must be getting desperate for money if they think they can just walk into someone's apartment and start issuing tickets for having a stock of magazines too close to the fire place, or too many shoes in front of the door.

[mumbling]Fuckin' bastards go and piss me off before lunch...[/mumbling]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#1]
That's absurd.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Found a note on my door this morning, as did everyone else in my complex. It seems the City has decided to start going around and looking inside people's apartments for health and safety code violations.

Well, they can go fuck themselves! I don't know what their little game is, but the government isn't getting into MY apartment without a warrant. These assholes can go piss up a rope. Check my apartment for safety violations. They must be getting desperate for money if they think they can just walk into someone's apartment and start issuing tickets for having a stock of magazines too close to the fire place, or too many shoes in front of the door.

If you rent, it ain't yours. Landlord gave in, you are out of options. Better clean up the pile of feces in the tub...

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Open the door naked.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Strange.

Call whatever department issues that stuff and ask about it to make sure it's legit. If it is, make your thoughts be known.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and move out of the ghetto.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you rent, it ain't yours. Landlord gave in, you are out of options. Better clean up the pile of feces in the tub...

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

My lease states that this gets to be my residence and that anyone wanting to come in without a warrant has to get my permission first, unless it's a life threatening emergency.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#8]
do you have hoarder problems in your complex that someone couldhave complained about.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
What city is this?

Dan
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#10]
what city is this?  

dang that is just crazy.

what legal grounds do you have to refuse?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#13]
You'd be surprised at the amount of power safety & code people have... usually more than police have in terms of entering your property and looking at stuff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

My lease states that this gets to be my residence and that anyone wanting to come in without a warrant has to get my permission first, unless it's a life threatening emergency.

You sure about that? Most leases say that they have to give you 24-48 hours of notice before the property management/landlord/other can legally enter without your permission. Read it again.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you rent it, it's yours till the lease is up.  That is what those little green slips of paper with dead presidents on them you give the landlord is for.

It comes with many clauses and stipulations.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You guys need to get out more I had the city code inspectors ask to go into my rentals before I got rid of them. I also had the Fire Department ask to inspect my office once for Fire Code enforcement. This is routine stuff, don't start strapping on magazines and body armor

They are all lawyers without Bar.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

Every lease I've ever seen says that the landlord can inspect the property with 24-hour notice (give or take.)

If yours doesn't, then go ahead a change the lock on the door.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:14:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

Legally, you probably don't have a leg to stand on if you intend to hide behind your lease.  The fact remains that the property belongs to the owner, not the renter.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a money-grab by the City.  They have been talking about doing this in Austin.  The City is not making any money on new construction permits and does not want to lay off any of the hard working, pension drawing employees.  Last I heard was the fee for these inspections would range from $25- $75 per residence.   This is going to encompass single family homes and all apartment units.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you have nothing to hide blah blah blah
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#23]
It's all about writing tickets to raise revenue.     TT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you rent, it ain't yours. Landlord gave in, you are out of options. Better clean up the add a pile of feces in the tub...

fify
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true at all.  He still maintains a residence there.

If it is listed in the contract, the landlord can give 24 hours notice and do a walk through but he cannot do it on behalf of the government.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you rent it, it's yours till the lease is up.  That is what those little green slips of paper with dead presidents on them you give the landlord is for.

It comes with many clauses and stipulations.

My lease has very few clauses and stipulations.
And yes, code enforcement is proabaly looking for fire code violations.  They may be trying to keep the building from burning around your ears.

OK, then help OP sue everybody until he is blue in the face and broke, because they are in their legal right if the landlord/property management allows them in and gives tenants proper notice.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

Check your lease agreement again.  I bet there's a part in there that states the landlord may enter your apartment as long as you are given advance notice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No it's not .It's about shutting down slum lords.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true at all.  He still maintains a residence there.

If it is listed in the contract, the landlord can give 24 hours notice and do a walk through but he cannot do it on behalf of the government.

Yes it is.

If the property management want to walk the city through, they have every right to do so.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:18:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Loosen that tinfoil dude and go talk to the landlord.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Move out of the ghetto.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

You sure about that? Most leases say that they have to give you 24-48 hours of notice before the property management/landlord/other can legally enter without your permission. Read it again.

NOT a government entity though, that still falls under the fourth amendment.  Trust me, I'm a cop and I deal with nosy no good landlords all the time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Is it possible that some other tenats complained to the city about issues not being resolved?  Therefore they want to inspect the property to make sure the landlord is taking care of the place?

I'd call and find out what is going on before I popped the covers off my Pmags.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Post a title 18 no trespassing sign

http://www.ftcldf.org/docs/farm-raids/Legal%20Notice%20No%20Trespassing.pdf

http://www.nonaiswa.org/?page_id=3471

And YES these have bite and you can go after the individual and the .gov
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Complex?
Section 8 housing coming to a neighborhood near you...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#39]
find a nice "dead body" scented air freshener and spray it right before they come in and have pictures of naked cats and dogs all on the walls

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

B.S.  It is now policy from the top down, to look for fine revenue.  Rush has spent the last few days talking about OSHA inspectors hitting construction and work sites.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats not true at all. He still maintains a residence there.

Yes it is.

If the property management want to walk the city through, they have every right to do so.

Not if the city then prosecutes the renter for any unsafe conditions.  Think about this for a minute.  A citation is a criminal charge.  I cannot circumvent consent or a warrant through an outside entity, they essentially become an employee of the government.  

Can the landlord walk through, yes, can he take others through, no.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Steve where is this?? is the city of Dallas?

is the apartment complex in violation?

this is bullshit... and needs to be stopped..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Happens to me 2 times a year.  My 120 pound shepard and her American bull dog brother keep them honest .
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Steve they are inspecting the building and property not you possesions. And i am pretty sure your elected city council members voted for these inspections. The Code enforcement officer will not fine you for any violations but can fine the Lanlord after many warnings and  a long drawn out legal procedure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#45]
What did you do to piss off expcustom?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#46]
hide your dog/cat?
sorry it's all I got
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BULLLLLLLL-SHIT!

NOT a government entity though, that still falls under the fourth amendment.  Trust me, I'm a cop and I deal with nosy no good landlords all the time.

Ah, well a cop, then we should shut down the discussion. After all a cop is never wrong, right?

Laws are different from place to place, state to state, never mind what is in the signed contract could allow this to happen.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#48]
this is SOP for large apt complexes

township walks in for 2 seconds makes sure nothing is rotting/on fire walks out

good time to get the .gov on your side if the apt is doing a shitty job at maintenance

hide your guns/illegal grow operations/home depot bucket filled with jizz and ignore it save up for a down payment on a house.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#49]
You should move to a free state.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Steve where is this?? is the city of Dallas?

is the apartment complex in violation?

this is bullshit... and needs to be stopped..

Los Colinas.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top