Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/9/2010 7:31:02 AM EDT
I've hooked my uncle up in the past with some free repair, bad mistake.. really bad idea. Your now the repair guy 24/7.. but I digress..

so I get a call, and now my uncles PC started up with the old no system disk error. and he want it fixed NOW! (he's out of work, unemployment ran out and doesn't want to work) he sits and plays WoW all day.. I have at this point little to no sympathy. I say sound like you hard drive failed, he's well do you have another? me I say No.. Well can you look at it for me he says.. I say I really don't have the time..

so next day he's at my door when I get home from work, standing there all 350 lbs of him with his PC.. I let him in, and tell him to put it in the kitchen and Ill get to it when I can.. And I start my bots up for nightly grinding. the bots share a 42 inch TV in the living room so I can keep an eye on them.. He's there wow I sure miss playing that game, and hanging out for me to start looking the the system.. Like I said I don't have the time to mess with it right now, So finally he goes home..

I cracked open the case last night.. every single fan is plugged with cat hair. none of them can move, I took a few shots after blowing it all out. I spent 2 hrs cleaning it up..

Pulling the heat sink off of the processor.. the processor was ripped out of the socket.. ya it got a little hot.. more and more im looking at it, its got some serious thermal damage, to the motherboard/graphic card. and hard drive is scrambled, its testing good but serious corruption. threw some diagnostic software on it and it puked.

So ill call him tonight and tell him the bad news, both that his PC is dead and no more free repairs..
And Ill suggest a Macmini

So you guys with cats Please blow out/vacuum your systems out at least once a month..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:34:53 AM EDT
I almost hate to say it, but it's like a bad car wreck.

This is worthless without pics. LOL
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:38:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
I've hooked my uncle up in the past with some free repair, bad mistake.. really bad idea. Your now the repair guy 24/7.. but I digress..

so I get a call, and now my uncles PC started up with the old no system disk error. and he want it fixed NOW! (he's out of work, unemployment ran out and doesn't want to work) he sits and plays WoW all day.. I have at this point little to no sympathy. I say sound like you hard drive failed, he's well do you have another? me I say No.. Well can you look at it for me he says.. I say I really don't have the time..

so next day he's at my door when I get home from work, standing there all 350 lbs of him with his PC.. I let him in, and tell him to put it in the kitchen and Ill get to it when I can.. And I start my bots up for nightly grinding. the bots share a 42 inch TV in the living room so I can keep an eye on them.. He's there wow I sure miss playing that game, and hanging out for me to start looking the the system.. Like I said I don't have the time to mess with it right now, So finally he goes home..

I cracked open the case last night.. every single fan is plugged with cat hair. none of them can move, I took a few shots after blowing it all out. I spent 2 hrs cleaning it up..

Pulling the heat sink off of the processor.. the processor was ripped out of the socket.. ya it got a little hot.. more and more im looking at it, its got some serious thermal damage, to the motherboard/graphic card. and hard drive is scrambled, its testing good but serious corruption. threw some diagnostic software on it and it puked.

So ill call him tonight and tell him the bad news, both that his PC is dead and no more free repairs..
And Ill suggest a Macmini

So you guys with cats Please blow out/vacuum your systems out at least once a month..

LOL

I love it

"Sorry Uncle, I don't know anything about Macs; I'm a PC guy. Take it a "genius" at the Mac store"

Good thinking ahead.

Speed
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:39:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fireputrouter:
I almost hate to say it, but it's like a bad car wreck.

This is worthless without pics. LOL

yup trying to get them off my phone..

pretty sad is my first thought was oh they are going to want pics..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:41:49 AM EDT
Oh shit, in for the pics.

The one thing I have learned from working on desktops is that people are fucking filthy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:43:14 AM EDT
Yeeeeaaaarrrrrssss ago... like back in the early 90's. I had to install a (ISA) network card in an old Z-series IBM desktop. It was small for that time, about the size of a small form-factor Dell, but about twice as thick. The user had the system unit under her desk on some very thick carpet and the unit had been running continuously for a couple of years. When I cracked the case, I found that it was completely full of carpet fibers. I mean full to the point of compression, so that when I took the lid off, this mega dust bunny of the Apocalypse started expanding like a pan of Jiffy Pop. The amount of carpet fiber I took out literally filled her waste basket. I have no idea how that thing was still running.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:44:46 AM EDT
eeeewwww. this is why i dont want nast cats in my house ever.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:45:20 AM EDT
ok this is AFTER on can of compressed air.. and as you can see on the heat sink fan the sink it self is still plugged..

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:45:37 AM EDT
Yyyyyyyyep.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:45:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 40xb-shooter:

All you have to do is brush them a few times a week for a couple minutes, and run a vacuum now and then.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:48:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By surveyor3:

All you have to do is brush them a few times a week for a couple minutes, and run a vacuum now and then.

or let your PC do it..

Ive reformated this system over the last 1.5 years at least a dozen times.. the man cannot keep away form the free prons, and gets infected..

/facepalm

so Im thinking a mac mini would be great for him..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:49:04 AM EDT
Dyson.
Live it.
Love it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:49:57 AM EDT

My cats hate it when I vacuum them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TurboniumOxide:

My cats hate it when I vacuum them.

My old cat used to love it when I'd run the attachment on her back. I don't think she would have liked it if I ran the vacuum over her.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:51:36 AM EDT

Yeah, I have seen far worse in a computer in a home WITHOUT cats. Cats are not the common denominator, it is filthy people.

Once had a guy bring his G4 Cube to me. The thing would shut down after being on for less than 5 minutes. For a computer without active fans to suck up dust/shit, that thing sure was PACKED with shit. I had to take it completely apart and clean it with denatured alcohol. Some of it was gooey from cigarette tar. Made $300 on that one... not worth it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:52:04 AM EDT
We used to have an office in an older building with the wiring "closet" located in a humid, dusty basement. One day their switch died. I replaced it and took the old one back to our bench and pulled it apart.

The entire power supply area was _caked_ with mud. I mean 100% full of it.

I have no idea how that switch ran for as long as it did (3com 3300)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:53:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PlaymoreMinds:
Dyson.
Live it.
Love it.

Wise words. My house is damn near clinical due to the Dyson, My wife being anal and the $80 we pay to have a girl come help do the deep cleaning once a month.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:53:40 AM EDT

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:53:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ceverett:
We used to have an office in an older building with the wiring "closet" located in a humid, dusty basement. One day their switch died. I replaced it and took the old one back to our bench and pulled it apart.

The entire power supply area was _caked_ with mud. I mean 100% full of it.

I have no idea how that switch ran for as long as it did (3com 3300)

They used to build shit to last.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:00:03 AM EDT
Holy cat hair. I'm my offices computer clean out guy you'de be surprised how much shit can accumilate in your computer in just a month. Clean out your tower at least once a month we have lost a couple computers to overheating cuz of dirty ass fans.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:01:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:02:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:04:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By legonas:

ive seen much worse. ive poped off the side of a case only to be swarmed by hundreds of little roaches.

I guess everyone I know is a clean person. I've done my fair share of work on computers for family and friends and it's never been that nasty.

GROSS.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:04:38 AM EDT
I see the problem right here. Your computer contracted a fungus.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:11:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 8:12:07 AM EDT by 3one5]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned smokers computers. Those are the worst! They literally make you feel ill when trying to clean them out. Dirty nasty machines and people are the reason why I rarely do side work anymore.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:13:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 3one5:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned smokers computers. Those are the worst! They literally make you feel ill when trying to clean them out. Dirty nasty machines and people are the reason why I rarely do side work anymore.

OH ive done many of them, and will take a cat hair PC over a smoker one any day!

so would a mac mini be a good choice for him?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:19:21 AM EDT
Opps. Well, too bad for him.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:20:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 8:20:53 AM EDT by schizrade]

OH ive done many of them, and will take a cat hair PC over a smoker one any day!

No, he will just ruin it. Just take him to some used computer place and have him get some POS that runs WOW and when it dies, take him again.

You know what a stupid user can do to a mac? Same thing that they can do to a PC.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:22:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By legonas:
I've seen much worse. I've popped off the side of a case only to be swarmed by hundreds of little roaches.

roaches just love the warmth of electronics.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:24:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By schizrade:

No, he will just ruin it. Just take him to some used computer place and have him get some POS that runs WOW and when it dies, take him again.

You know what a stupid user can do to a mac? Same thing that they can do to a PC.

i was thinking with the mac it might slow down the stupid shit a bit.. hes a clicker.. clicks on everything.. and love to surf prons. so lots of malware he gets..
also when he breaks it i can have him call apple.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:30:50 AM EDT
My father-in-law is a clicker too. I used to have to rebuild his PC like clockwork every 60 days. He moved a good distance away and still wanted the white glove treatment. He'd ship me the fucking tower UPS.

After two more rounds of that, I just called the thing deceased, and told him that I wasn't going to work on another machine of his unless it was a Mac.

Cue Mac Mini...

A year later, I've heard *nothing* but the occasional, "wow, this thing's amazing!"

Just reading the story about your uncle brought back a lot of memories, none of 'em good. I just love pro-bono work.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:31:06 AM EDT
I used to work for the Navy "fixing" computers, data migration, upgrades.

One day I was called to a Command Master Chief's office to move his computer from the deck under his old desk to his new desk.

I looked at the computer and it was friggen glued to the deck with years of wax build-up.

There must have been an inch of wax holding it to the deck.

When I finally broke it free I pulled off the case and found about a half inch of was build up inside the case and on one of the daughterboards.

I didn't even bother to clean the wax build up from the inside of the case, I left it alone, it was still working last time I saw it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:31:24 AM EDT

mini sounds good but guess who will have to explain everything to him
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:32:03 AM EDT
I used to be a service manager for Gateway. I survived the Service and Support Wars.

I've seen shit, man.. I wouldn't recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:34:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KJCA3:

Download some of the "how to" videos from Apple's website. They're actually quite good. Stick 'em in a folder on the desktop marked "HOW TO", then quit answering your phone for a month.

Works like a charm
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:42:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:

Download some of the "how to" videos from Apple's website. They're actually quite good. Stick 'em in a folder on the desktop marked "HOW TO", then quit answering your phone for a month.

Works like a charm

Until you get the call asking how to get into the "How to" folder.... I had something similar happen in real life.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:42:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:
I used to work for the Navy "fixing" computers, data migration, upgrades.

One day I was called to a Command Master Chief's office to move his computer from the deck under his old desk to his new desk.

I looked at the computer and it was friggen glued to the deck with years of wax build-up.

There must have been an inch of wax holding it to the deck.

When I finally broke it free I pulled off the case and found about a half inch of was build up inside the case and on one of the daughterboards.

I didn't even bother to clean the wax build up from the inside of the case, I left it alone, it was still working last time I saw it.

"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, paint it." more or less.......

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:49:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Vaux:

Works like a charm

Until you get the call asking how to get into the "How to" folder.... I had something similar happen in real life.

That's why you quit answering the phone for a month
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:53:02 AM EDT
Ever had to clean a keyboard for a wimmenz that wears a shit-ton of make-up?

One of the office drones couldn't see the letters on the keys anymore, due to the layer of make-up and crud.

After I pulled it apart, I found out that she liked to eat Cheez-Its at her desk while she worked. Every bit of available space inside the keyboard was filled with crumbs, hair, dust, bugs, etc. I ended up taking the keyboard apart and running it through the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:24:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Vaux:

Works like a charm

That's why you quit answering the phone for a month

I like the way you think!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:32:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By photokirk:

One of the office drones couldn't see the letters on the keys anymore, due to the layer of make-up and crud.

After I pulled it apart, I found out that she liked to eat Cheez-Its at her desk while she worked. Every bit of available space inside the keyboard was filled with crumbs, hair, dust, bugs, etc. I ended up taking the keyboard apart and running it through the dishwasher.

Something like that, I don't even screw with.

"Here's your new keyboard."

They're too inexpensive anymore to deal with that sort of stuff.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:33:09 AM EDT

thats when ya throw it out and get a cheap 12 dollar one. and just swap out cheeepies..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:03:57 AM EDT
ok this is AFTER on can of compressed air.. and as you can see on the heat sink fan the sink it self is still plugged..

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3484/fan1j.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3846/fan2m.jpg

meh, pulled worse than that out of my belly button
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:05:21 AM EDT
I vacuum mine out once every 3-4 months.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:02 PM EDT

thats when ya throw it out and get a cheap 12 dollar one. and just swap out cheeepies..

Your boss lets you spend money? Lucky.

I made the mistake of telling mine that the keyboard still worked, it was just nasty. Whoops...
Top Top