Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 3:48:04 AM EDT
On the Outer Banks of North Carolina, surf fishing is a way of life.  It brings people to the islands and provides thousands of families with income.  In the recent years, the fuckin liberal douchebag enviro-wackos have found loopholes in the laws governing the national seashore that have enabled them, with the help of liberal activist judges, to close the beaches - to even people who are WALKING.  Needless to say, this has fucked the local economy and business are closing down daily.  I would appreciate if you would watch this short documentary on it and DO SOMETHING.  Even if it is just sending an email or making a phone call.  These are NATIONAL seashores that YOU should be able to use.  In the coming years, if this continues, the entire chain of barrier islands will be a ghost town.  The enviro wackos will have their way and they will move on, coming to YOUR area.  They'll do the same thing to your favorite shooting area, 4wheeling trails, hunting lease, etc.

Link to the video

-AA
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Piss on plovers. Put people first.

Piping plovers taste like chicken.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
That's ridiculous! I'll do my part, I'm coming down tomorrow for the next week!! Can't wait to get there, but I'm not going farther than Nags Head!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah these enviro whackos ( i have a feeling a lot of them are out of the asheville area) are fucking ruining it here in our state. bucnh of stupid fucking latte drinking, dope smoking, fucktards with nothing better to do than run some fucked up moral crusade in the name of nothing
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Already happened in Connecticut.  Look up Pleasure Beach.  A once thriving peninsula that stretches from Stratford to Bridgeport now lies barren because of the Piping Plover and because the state wants nothing to do with it.  e
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:47:39 AM EDT
[#5]
green is new red
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
A good friend of mine has/had (I'm not sure which at this point) a girlfriend who was one of the people physically out there on the beaches keeping people from enjoying themselves for that stupid bird.  This came up at a cookout over at his family's house after I was at least a six pack deep.  Things got a little uncomfortable for everybody there for a minute.

Fortunately, it was essentially everybody against her, so I'm still welcome over there any time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:51:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A good friend of mine has/had (I'm not sure which at this point) a girlfriend who was one of the people physically out there on the beaches keeping people from enjoying themselves for that stupid bird.  This came up at a cookout over at his family's house after I was at least a six pack deep.  Things got a little uncomfortable for everybody there for a minute.

Fortunately, it was essentially everybody against her, so I'm still welcome over there any time.

should have taco punched her
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discretion being the better part of valor, I let her know how I felt and went to see how the steaks were coming along.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

On the Outer Banks of North Carolina, surf fishing is a way of life. It brings people to the islands and provides thousands of families with income. In the recent years, the fuckin liberal douchebag enviro-wackos have found loopholes in the laws governing the national seashore that have enabled them, with the help of liberal activist judges, to close the beaches - to even people who are WALKING.

What the hell?

They have piping plovers and other threatened birds where we vacation in New Jersey. They just rope off the small section of beach where they nest and tell people to keep their distance. They never close the whole beach or anything.

ETA: We're not talking a huge roped off area here either.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck these people. It's kept me from going to Buxton for several years in a row. I want my beach back.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Why not organize a protest with several hundred people and storm the beach.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:57:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Discretion being the better part of valor, I let her know how I felt and went to see how the steaks were coming along.

hahahahaha well played :)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
A couple of rounds of bird-shot will fix this problem real quick
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
On the Outer Banks of North Carolina, surf fishing is a way of life. It brings people to the islands and provides thousands of families with income. In the recent years, the fuckin liberal douchebag enviro-wackos have found loopholes in the laws governing the national seashore that have enabled them, with the help of liberal activist judges, to close the beaches - to even people who are WALKING.

What the hell?

They have piping plovers and other threatened birds where we vacation in New Jersey. They just rope off the small section of beach where they nest and tell people to keep their distance. They never close the whole beach or anything.

ETA: We're not talking a huge roped off area here either.

Just wait...

You occasionally have a few drunk rednecks that 4wheel through the dunes, but most people over the last 4-5 decades were pretty good about leaving the dunes where nests are alone.  However, it doesn't matter, and they'll use the drunk redneck incident to shut the whole operation down.

Basically, the OP is right, enviro's & PETA types discovered that they could deliver a heavy blow to surf fishermen and people who would simply drive on the beach to a secluded area.  I windsurf and am down there a lot.  I was privy to a discussion with a local hippie type businesswoman  (who shall remain nameless) that was happy that the beaches were closed to vehicles.  Her opinion was that it was a white trash thing to do, so it should stop.  I held my tounge.  Recently they've been closing WALKING ACCESS PATHS as well as vehicle access.  The claim the beach isn't 'closed', but have made it inaccessible since you can't cross the dunes.  I wonder what that bitch thinks now.

One day when the 'bird crew' is down there on one of their junkets, just to piss them off I want to rent the loudest and most obnoxious Louisiana style air boat, put in at Oregon Inlet and cruise through Pea Island NWR at full speed.  If only we could get a nesting pair of plovers to take up residence in the dome of the capital.  That would then prevent congress from meeting for fear of breaking the laws about disturbing the birds.

The legislation that is being used to close the beaches, as well as the health of the Oregon Inlet bridge has the capacity to send Hatteras Island back to the stone age.  The proposed bridge and elevated freeway from Nags Head to Rodanthe is decades away.   And we wonder why other countries are eating our lunch!

These are some of the primary reasons that I bought property in Nags Head.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:16:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
green is new red

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought just closing off a small area of beaches where the plovers nest and telling the populace to avoid them while walking on the beaches was enough.....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Many years ago when I first started vacationing in N.C. it was a great place. Full of good country folks, as long as you didn't mess with them or their way of life you were welcome, you could hike across their property without getting shot at for the most part. I always respected that, I didn't care if they were church snake handlers or Klansmen, it's their place. Slowly, people from the outside began buying up the place and pushing the native folks out. It got to the point where everyone that I'd meet were from somewhere else. I remember talking to a bag boy in the grocery store during one trip. He was was pretty resentful when he found out we were vacationing, he bitched about the deer all being gone from where he hunted and he couldn't drink out of the creek anymore.

It finally got to the point where the whole damn state was overrun with liberal douches and  REI wearing hippies, ruined. Nobody would talk to you, wave, or tell you where to get a decent home cooked meal. After the last trip in 2004 when the place was paved with Kerry campaign signs, I vowed I'd never visit again, and I haven't. The tree huggers and bird huggers can have the place.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought just closing off a small area of beaches where the plovers nest and telling the populace to avoid them while walking on the beaches was enough.....

There was a warning issued a few years ago back when all this got started by somebody (I don't know if it was the NPS or the local gov't) at the behest of the Audobon Society which stated that if anybody violated the boundaries of said small areas of beach, the line would be moved out 500ft or something.  Well, lo and behold a little time passed, and one morning a set of tire tracks was found leading up to a warning sign which was pushed over, obviously by way of the vehicle that made the set of tracks.  The tracks then backed away from the sign and evidently left.  Despite the obvious nature of this evidence, the boundaries were punitively moved effectively shutting down the entire beach to vehicular traffic.  Things have relaxed a little bit since then (I drove out onto the point at Oregon Inlet just a couple weeks ago), but they still close the beaches to traffic during the primary mating season or something (which ever-so-innocently happens to coincide with the peak tourist season).
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:35:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I am actually surprised that every stray cat in NC hasn't "found" its way down there yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#20]
They closed off the lower end of Assateague Island in VA for plovers 15-20 years ago. The birds were only there a few months per year, beach closed to 4X4 traffic all year. I quit going there.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am actually surprised that every stray cat in NC hasn't "found" its way down there yet.

Wouldn't take many.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:49:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Take Eco douchbags for a boat ride to survey the area. Then feed them to the sharks?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:56:36 AM EDT
[#23]
What a shame.  One more loss of American freedom.  I've had many great times out there on the beach with my 4x4.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They have that problem in Southern NJ.

The .gov wanted to just shoot the cats. The local lefties and loons freaked out about that too.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a warning issued a few years ago back when all this got started by somebody (I don't know if it was the NPS or the local gov't) at the behest of the Audobon Society which stated that if anybody violated the boundaries of said small areas of beach, the line would be moved out 500ft or something.  Well, lo and behold a little time passed, and one morning a set of tire tracks was found leading up to a warning sign which was pushed over, obviously by way of the vehicle that made the set of tracks.  The tracks then backed away from the sign and evidently left.  Despite the obvious nature of this evidence, the boundaries were punitively moved effectively shutting down the entire beach to vehicular traffic.  Things have relaxed a little bit since then (I drove out onto the point at Oregon Inlet just a couple weeks ago), but they still close the beaches to traffic during the primary mating season or something (which ever-so-innocently happens to coincide with the peak tourist season).

This seems like a tactic that a kook-group like "Earth First" would deploy. One of theirs knocked over the sign, then a "hiker" reported it to the NPS.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top