Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2010 8:49:56 PM EDT
Im out to dinner last night around 9:30 and get a call on my cell. It's a local number but i don't know it so i don't answer. Later around 2am i'm sitting on my couch and a voice-mail comes through, but no call. Some chic is saying to stop calling her husband or stop letting people use my cell to call him or their going to press charges against me!! I let kne of my cop acquaintances know and check it out and see whats going on, since i didn't want to call them back. I got a call that was blocked on my phone tonight from the same chic asking if i know this guy and i say noShe asks me if i know this one girls name and i say no again. Aparentally they have been having problems with this person and my cell keeps calling his number. I figure it weird since my cell is a NJ # but im in AK. I look through my log book and i transfered him a rifle the end of last month, and some how somebody is calling his # and making it look like my cell is calling them. No idea WTF is going on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:50:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:53:32 PM EDT
I've had a very similar thing happen the last couple days.. I'll get a call at 11pm or so, nobody on the line, just a low hum. Then I got a call from some guy, from the number that had called me, wanting to know why he was getting calls from my number in the middle of the night, with nobody on the other end. He was pretty pissed, too.. I guess the dude values his sleep more than I do.

Kind of creepy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:53:41 PM EDT
Someone clone your SIM card?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:54:03 PM EDT
Sounds like the dumb ass got a hold of the phone bill and is just calling all the numbers she doesn't recognize.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:00:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sumo:
Sounds like the dumb ass got a hold of the phone bill and is just calling all the numbers she doesn't recognize.

Thats the weird part. When i called him to come pick up the firearm (im an FFL) i used the shop phone, not my cell phone.

Nobody has had access to my phone. It's an iPhone 3g if that matters
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 9:02:44 PM EDT by Scorch05]
Originally Posted By viper5243:
Snip...

some how somebody is calling his # and making it look like my cell is calling them. No idea WTF is going on.

It's not that hard. Anyone with an android, blackberry or iPhone can use an app that will allow you to spoof a number of their choice and make it appear on caller id on the other end.

ETA: I've spoofed the local LE dispatch number to fuck with my asshole supervisor in the past just to watch him freak out for a few mintues...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:01:50 PM EDT
There's an app you can use so that another number shows up on a caller ID. The guys at work were messing around with it the other day. Don't remember more than that, but I know it's possible cuz we were doing it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:06:07 PM EDT
Yea the number could be spoofed but someone spoofing your number to a guy you transferred a firearm to is a little odd. Have you checked your cell phone records to see if any calls originated from your phone. Buttdialing by chance?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:13:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wreckinturn4:
Yea the number could be spoofed but someone spoofing your number to a guy you transferred a firearm to is a little odd. Have you checked your cell phone records to see if any calls originated from your phone. Buttdialing by chance?

I check my phone records a day before and after i did the transfer and i never called the number from my cell. Only my shop line. So it couldn't be butt dialing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:25:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By viper5243:

Originally Posted By wreckinturn4:

I check my phone records a day before and after i did the transfer and i never called the number from my cell. Only my shop line. So it couldn't be butt dialing.

"Buttdialing", a new entry to my vocabulary...thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:40:53 PM EDT
hide your dogs.

You don't happen to have a girlfriend or wife do you? Just covering the bases...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:54:43 PM EDT
http://www.spoofcard.com/ This actually works, my coworker called my mobile from his mobile but the caller ID on my phone showed my home number calling. He made a weird sound and hung up. I thought my wife was in distress and I freaked out a little. I called my house and asked my wife what was going on and of course she said she didn't call me. This led to a small argument until I found out what the hell was going on.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:18:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
I've had a very similar thing happen the last couple days.. I'll get a call at 11pm or so, nobody on the line, just a low hum. Then I got a call from some guy, from the number that had called me, wanting to know why he was getting calls from my number in the middle of the night, with nobody on the other end. He was pretty pissed, too.. I guess the dude values his sleep more than I do.

Kind of creepy.

Phone operators do this all the time when it is slow and the supervisors are gone/complacent. It's pretty amusing (to them) to call 2 people and make both people think the other called.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:06:47 AM EDT
that is some weirdness, someone could be spoofing your number
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:14:51 AM EDT

Years ago, when I was in college, the payphone outside my room rang. I picked it up, and a sobbing, hysterical woman on the other end told me that she'd traced my number, and if we didn't stop calling her she was going to call the police. I asked her what the hell she was talking about. She was getting married the next day and someone had been calling all day and night leaving threatening messages, and caller ID had the number of the payphone.

The thing was, though, that it was the MEN'S dormitory, I was the only one there (it was Labor Day weekend and most people had gone home), and the caller who'd been harassing her was a woman. It took me 20 minutes to convince this poor lady that there was no way any woman had been calling her from this phone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Originally Posted By MMcCall:

Kind of creepy.

Phone operators do this all the time when it is slow and the supervisors are gone/complacent. It's pretty amusing (to them) to call 2 people and make both people think the other called.

Yeah but from one cell phone to another? I can see it on land lines, but not cellular.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:16:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stephen_A:
http://www.spoofcard.com/ This actually works, my coworker called my mobile from his mobile but the caller ID on my phone showed my home number calling. He made a weird sound and hung up. I thought my wife was in distress and I freaked out a little. I called my house and asked my wife what was going on and of course she said she didn't call me. This led to a small argument until I found out what the hell was going on.

Cool
Top Top