BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Been working in tree removal and for dad's landscaping company for just over 3 months since my previous employer got bought out.

Went in for an interview at a dealership who had advertised positions for a salesman on Tuesday, was offered to come back and begin training on Thursday (tomorrow).

Just curious if we have any other car salesmen (who'll fess up to it) here who can give me a "Don't do this, watch out for this, make sure you do this" for my first few days.

The Dealership sells a leading Japanese line and is a member of a large dealership conglomerate, that's all the info you get on who the employer is.

Former car salesman myself.
First off, don't think that you were something great and that's why they hired you (no offense).  They'll hire just about anything that breathes to see if it'll sell a car.  If they thought a Chimp with mild retardation could do the job, they'd hire him in a heartbeat.
Start watching videos of Grant Cardone (I think that's how his name is spelled)  Car salesman worship him.  
Know the ABC's:   Always Be Closing (the deal)
As a salesman you're working against two people, the General Manager and the Buyer.  The GM would love to sell a car and if they have to they'll cut it down to invoice, which will cut your gross.  The buyer will also want to get the car to invoice (if they know how to buy a car) which again, cuts your gross.  Your gross is a percentage of profit based on anything over invoice.  The closer to MSRP you sell the more you'll make.  Typical percentage at full MSRP was for me 35% of the difference between invoice and MSRP.  You have to learn how to work both people to keep the price as high as possible so that you can make more on your gross.
Used car sales is where the money is at. One sucker...er I mean customer asked a salesman about the cost of a vehicle.  The car was listed for $18,999.  He told her $19,999.  She didn't bother to see the price sheet.  She paid the full $19,999 for a vehicle they took in for $15,000.  That guy made a sweet commission on that deal, and the GM love the guy...of course the guy would fuck over his mother in a car deal (I really think he would), but that doesn't matter.  
As someone else said, you are starting kind of late in the year (try starting in December...I did  )   Car sales will continue to decline through January, then start to slowly pick up.  The best time is in the summer.  No one likes to look at cars when it's cold.  

ETA:  Know your product, and know the difference between what you sell and the competition, especially with pickups.  If you have ranchers or farmers in your area you need to know HP and torque for your trucks.  Also know how to pick out the difference in a particular vehicle.  For instance: Toyota Camrys have a base, Hybrid, LE, S and XLE trim.  know how to spot the differences between those vehicles, so when you take a customer out to the lot you're not going through every vehicle to see if it's the XLE that you're looking for, makes you look stupid if you don't know your cars, but you look like a fucking pro if you can point out and say "I have an XLE here, here and here" and the customer can't tell the fucking difference

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Been working in tree removal and for dad's landscaping company for just over 3 months since my previous employer got bought out.

Went in for an interview at a dealership who had advertised positions for a salesman on Tuesday, was offered to come back and begin training on Thursday (tomorrow).

Just curious if we have any other car salesmen (who'll fess up to it) here who can give me a "Don't do this, watch out for this, make sure you do this" for my first few days.
The Dealership sells a leading Japanese line and is a member of a large dealership conglomerate, that's all the info you get on who the employer is.

Former car salesman myself.

First off, don't think that you were something great and that's why they hired you (no offense).  They'll hire just about anything that breathes to see if it'll sell a car.  If they thought a Chimp with mild retardation could do the job, they'd hire him in a heartbeat.

Start watching videos of Grant Cardone (I think that's how his name is spelled)  Car salesman worship him.  

Know the ABC's:   Always Be Closing (the deal)

As a salesman you're working against two people, the General Manager and the Buyer.  The GM would love to sell a car and if they have to they'll cut it down to invoice, which will cut your gross.  The buyer will also want to get the car to invoice (if they know how to buy a car) which again, cuts your gross.  Your gross is a percentage of profit based on anything over invoice.  The closer to MSRP you sell the more you'll make.  Typical percentage at full MSRP was for me 35% of the difference between invoice and MSRP.  You have to learn how to work both people to keep the price as high as possible so that you can make more on your gross.

Used car sales is where the money is at.  one sucker...er I mean customer asked a salesman about the cost of a vehicle.  The car was listed for $18,999.  He told her $19,999.  She didn't bother to see the price sheet.  She paid the full $19,999 for a vehicle they took in for $15,000.  That guy made a sweet commission on that deal, and the GM love the guy...of course the guy would fuck over his mother in a car deal (I really think he would), but that doesn't matter.  

As someone else said, you are starting kind of late in the year (try starting in December...I did  )   Car sales will continue to decline through January, then start to slowly pick up.  The best time is in the summer.  No one likes to look at cars when it's cold.  

agreed about used cars, you will make 2-3 times the commission on a used car than you will on new one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My experience during my attempt at car sales, was the the management does not give a rat's ass about the salesman making any money. It does not cost them anything to have sales people there, they just want bodies to get people inside so if there is no deal the the TO happens and the sales manager drops his pants and gives the farm away and the salesman does not make jack.
I figured out that the people that have the money/credit right now to buy cars are very informed and you will make little to no commisson on the deal. The people the barely have enough credit and almost broke will be raped and that is where you will make money.
You will find that the ups the come in begging you to buy a car or "lay down" for an easy sale, have no money or their credit is so bad they could not buy the sweat off a hot dog.
I was a good salesman, they were pissed when I quit. I realized 3 years ago that car sales were going to suck and I would not make any money. I wasted so much time with people that were upside down with  bad credit it scared the crap out of me. I knew this recession/depression was coming.
The managers would treat you like ass if someone came on the lot and you could not get them inside,and the hours sucked for the money I made.
The way they paid was 20% commission or $100 on a flat ( no profit). Weekly pay was minimum wage if you did not sell anything, which was applied to draw if you did sell something the next week.
If your draw hit $1000, you got booted.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I know nothing about car sales but put myself through college working retail sales.

If you've never sold before you will find out that most people want you to make the decision for them.  Even the tough guys who know all the ins and outs of the product they are buying want you to make them feel good about what they've already decided on.  

Honesty is very important but you have to help people make that jump from maybe to OK, that's it, I'll take it.  

Again I know nothing about how car dealerships work but in general it seems that lots of people don't like car salesmen because they think they are getting ripped off (and probably are).  I'd guess that if you were going to be successful you need to sell that they aren't getting ripped off as bad as they think they are.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate fake looking car salesmen. I'd rather buy a car from someone in jeans and a t-shirt than from some polo and tie wearing, pressed pants, sunglass on top of their head jackass. They might as well wear a big sign that says car salesman around their neck because real people don't look like that and you can spot a car salesman from a mile away.

No, I don't want a fucking Coke. If I did I would have bought one myself and you spending $.50 on me isn't impressive. Don't be pushy and don't keep calling me if I don't buy from you on the first day. If you call and bother me then I'll buy from someone else. Don't try to bullshit me and pretend that you're thanking me for coming in because you're really thankful, you and I both know that it's a veiled plea for me to come back and buy a car.

Also, don't try to bullshit me about anything. Car lots are a dime a dozen and car salesmen are even less than that. If I see something that I want then I'll buy it. If I have any questions then I'll ask them. And don't try to get me to initial some little scrap of paper that you wrote a number on because it's fucking stupid and doesn't mean anything and there's a chance that I will walk out at any moment if yall irritate me regardless of anything that I've signed. Until I drive away in the new vehicle I reserve the right to walk the fuck out if you, your boss or any of your buddies do something that I don't like.

I spend all kinds of money on all kinds of stuff without a second thought but I absolutely hate buying a car because of the whole car salesman attitude at most car lots. I don't want to be bothered, talked to, ass kissed or anything else, if I need you I'll ask, otherwise leave me the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I sold used cars for awhile, and I was a sales manager for a credit card processing firm for awhile as well, heres some tips that should help you, but you're probably going to ignore them.

1) No, they don't need to think about it, they aren't fucking sold, and they aren't coming back.  Find out why they aren't sold or you're going to starve to death and live under a bridge.

2) No, he doesn't need to talk to his wife, if he cared about her opinion he would have brought her.  He isn't fucking sold, and he's not coming back.  Find out why he's not sold.

3) I know that you believe that this one is different, and that he really is sold, he just needs to consult his dog's psychologist first.  You're never going to see him again, find out why he isn't sold.

4) If someone is telling you anything other than "Where do I sign?" it means that you haven't sold them.  Maybe it's price, maybe it's features, maybe they just don't like you, but they are never going to get more sold than they are with you right in front of them.

Let me reiterate that point again.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE MORE SOLD ON YOUR PRODUCT THAN THEY ARE RIGHT NOW WHILE YOU ARE TALKING TO THEM.  THEY AREN'T GOING TO WAKE UP TOMORROW AND GO 'HEY, THAT REALLY IS A GREAT DEAL!'

You can accomplish all of the above without being a pushy asshole.  Make sure you bring up specials and a build a sense of urgency right from the start.  If the first time you say "well this is only good for today" is when they are telling you that they need to think about it, you've already lost that sale.

Nobody walks on to a car lot because they want to buy an umbrella, they are there because they want a car.  Objections are normal, if I made it through a sale without objections it worried the shit out of me, because it meant something would spring up during paperwork.  Use "I understand" a lot - "I need to think about this"  "I understand, this is a big decision, remind me again what you liked about this car?......Right, and does your car do that now?....Gotcha, and was this the color you were looking for?...Outstanding, so you needed to think about XXX then?....Well I'll tell you what, I'll need to see if I can get approval, but IF I CAN take care of XXX for you, can we do business today?

'If" closes are a powerful tool, and it will let you know if you're just spinning your wheels.  If someone says no to an if close, start extrapolating out to the ridiculous - "So if I was able to get you this car for $50/mo and have that hot brunette come blow you, could we do business today?...No? Well then what would allow us to do business today?"

If someone tells you that they're just getting quotes, I would tell them flat out that I was not in the business of giving quotes, I was in the business of selling.  I'm not going to waste their time or mine, when they are done shopping and actually ready to buy something, come see me, and I will beat anyone elses deal.  Until then, bye.

I never buy a car from a dealership the day I test drive it start working the deal. Not because I am trying to gain an upper hand I just really like to sleep on things and be sure its what I want before I hand over my money. I have bought 30 cars that way and it seems to work out for me and my salesman loved me after I bought the first one. and then the next 4 from him.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#9]
You'll either love it or hate it OP.

I sold cars for years. If I had to go back to a dealership, I would work in service.

New car sales is a PIA.

Good Luck!
Speed
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Stay in lawn care man. It's not a bad gig once you figure the ins and outs. Leaf season is coming up and then snow removal.

I started a part time lawncare business a few years back and the freedom of being my own boss has allowed me the time to go back to school for my MBA and stay involved in the fire department.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Reading this thread makes me pretty damn glad my local dealership has (1) salesman - the owner. You ask him how much and he gives you a price, take it or leave it. When you want the total out the door price he goes to the calculator and adds up the tax and license and prints it out on a calculator tape and writes the car it goes to on the back and gives it to you if you need to take it to the bank.

I'm also old enough to remember when car salesman knew the minimum the dealer wanted out of the car and if they could get more so be it. There was no going back and forth to the sales manager 5 times or other such crap. Ever since they started that I started going out of my way to shop at dealerships that have a minimum number of staff.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#12]
to the OP.

dont PAY FOR THE "TRAINING"    dont sign something that says " i will pay back ____ for training "  

i was in a slump a few yrs back.,.,   I walked in and asked for a job   they said sure.

made me feel 10 times better ...    cause i had a job..  

day 1 was "training"  some coke head that is a pro at this ...  blah blah   blah...  

they passed a piece of paper around .. it was a sign in sheet AND a i promise to repay in x amount of payments for this training..  

I asked about it and was treated like a jackass for asking..    they were doing ME a favor by having me there.,

i got up and walked out..   but.. it was hot outside and i waited inside while i waited for the bus.. < like i said.. it was a down time in my life >    while i waited    somehow a couple had missed the group of sharks waiting on the parking lot..  i greeted them only because i didnt wanna be rude..

they asked where so and so was i said i didnt know...  

ended up walking them thru buying a car.. !    < there was the head guy on the floor holding my hand the entire time >

i got a sale AND into a fight when ever so and so found out i "took" his deal < remember i was waiting for the bus at this point,, >  

i ended up staying for 2 months.  

I cant say its a bad deal..   in those two months i got back on my feet ,., i moved two trucks with high incentives on them...  that the only reason since selling a car normally pays nothing really .  < think it was 200 at the time..   the trucks had a 5grand prize attached to them and i sold two >

im not knocking you..    cause hell ive done it..   and i jumped ship at the first chance of a "real job"  

its not for everyone..    and i found out i have a natural gift for it..  and would only do it again if my kids were starving.  

good luck to you .

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:56:29 AM EDT
[#13]

The next hardest thing is not prequalifying people.  Which is to say, deciding weather or not they can buy based on what they're driving now or what they look like.  The easiest way to be left alone on a car lot is to borrow an old POS, sag your pants, put a hat on backwards, carry a huge soda and stick a cell phone to your head.  You can walk around all day an never run into a salesman.  Try not to do that let them go because of how they look.  I once sold a $50,000 F350 to a guy who looked like he didn't have a penny.  He walked onto the lot, was barefoot and wearing nothing but overalls.  But he had a blank check in his pocket.

This is how I would always go into the dealership. I hated being profiled and wouldn't deal with someone who wouldn't take the time to show me a car/truck bought a Brand New SRT8 300C wearing a cutoff shirt sandals and stained shorts. Didn't show any creditability and the dealer still let me test drive and check it out. Stroked the check and he about flipped.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#15]

All the talk about honesty, and touchy-feely customer service is pure bullshit.  Sales (especially car sales) is like gay sex in prison.  If you give the guy a good enough reach-around while you're pounding him in the ass, he'll be your bitch.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:03:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Did it for 4 months back in 03.  

The biggest problem I had was customers would straight up lie to your face because they believed you were doing the same.

And even if you are don't lie to them your managers will.  Just seems to be the nature of the beast and I hated that part of it.

Long hours and in bad economic times you will find that a large number of your customers are bad credit people.  People with good credit buckle down during hard times and don't buy large items as much.

Good luck and never take a customer's appearance for granted.  Never pre-judge them.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#17]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:...i don't know what cops get paid where you live, but i don't think any down here can walk onto a parking lot and buy a 3series outright... most of them could barely do it if they were written a check for a years pay after taxes.

FWIW, I am not a cop.  I don't have the temperment for it.  The car was a two year lease trade in.  I don't buy new and saved up for the car as carrying a note on a car is silly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
go back into the arboriculture industry.  Learn about tree health care and make some decent money.  I have been an arborist for 20 years and there is a new wave of services being offered that are less taxing/more profitable than tree removal.  Plus––-everyone loves the man that saves their trees

I agree, focus on Arboriculture and become a tree care professional who also does removals.......not only a tree remover.  

Remember, every tree removed is a customer lost.

Not to mention, rarely is there a removal that is not in some advanced state of decay.  I nearly ate a widow maker last week, but proper procedure in the back cut saved me.  It seems that they're all hollow in the middle- vine covered monsters next to high voltage lines.  Oh.........and removals are competitive; you make peanuts for your effort as you probably know.

Class 1 Prune should be in the top of your vocabulary.  Every tree on a care cycle is a healthy specimen and a revolving account.

Do you do deep root fertilization, spraying, cabling, lightning protection, etc?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I figured out that the people that have the money/credit right now to buy cars are very informed and you will make little to no commisson on the deal. The people the barely have enough credit and almost broke will be raped and that is where you will make money.

Yeah.... Until the vehicle shows up on the lot 4 months down the road, Right? My Uncle lost his truck a few years back. Dealership took it back in and attempted to sell it.

Where does a dealership make it's money? Vehicle Servicing? Used Car Sales?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I sold used cars for awhile, and I was a sales manager for a credit card processing firm for awhile as well, heres some tips that should help you, but you're probably going to ignore them.

1) No, they don't need to think about it, they aren't fucking sold, and they aren't coming back.  Find out why they aren't sold or you're going to starve to death and live under a bridge.

2) No, he doesn't need to talk to his wife, if he cared about her opinion he would have brought her.  He isn't fucking sold, and he's not coming back.  Find out why he's not sold.

3) I know that you believe that this one is different, and that he really is sold, he just needs to consult his dog's psychologist first.  You're never going to see him again, find out why he isn't sold.

4) If someone is telling you anything other than "Where do I sign?" it means that you haven't sold them.  Maybe it's price, maybe it's features, maybe they just don't like you, but they are never going to get more sold than they are with you right in front of them.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE MORE SOLD ON YOUR PRODUCT THAN THEY ARE RIGHT NOW WHILE YOU ARE TALKING TO THEM.  THEY AREN'T GOING TO WAKE UP TOMORROW AND GO 'HEY, THAT REALLY IS A GREAT DEAL!'

You can accomplish all of the above without being a pushy asshole.  Make sure you bring up specials and a build a sense of urgency right from the start.  If the first time you say "well this is only good for today" is when they are telling you that they need to think about it, you've already lost that sale.

Nobody walks on to a car lot because they want to buy an umbrella, they are there because they want a car.  Objections are normal, if I made it through a sale without objections it worried the shit out of me, because it meant something would spring up during paperwork.  Use "I understand" a lot - "I need to think about this"  "I understand, this is a big decision, remind me again what you liked about this car?......Right, and does your car do that now?....Gotcha, and was this the color you were looking for?...Outstanding, so you needed to think about XXX then?....Well I'll tell you what, I'll need to see if I can get approval, but IF I CAN take care of XXX for you, can we do business today?

'If" closes are a powerful tool, and it will let you know if you're just spinning your wheels.  If someone says no to an if close, start extrapolating out to the ridiculous - "So if I was able to get you this car for $50/mo and have that hot brunette come blow you, could we do business today?...No? Well then what would allow us to do business today?"

If someone tells you that they're just getting quotes, I would tell them flat out that I was not in the business of giving quotes, I was in the business of selling.  I'm not going to waste their time or mine, when they are done shopping and actually ready to buy something, come see me, and I will beat anyone elses deal.  Until then, bye.

You'd never get me to sign anything except your pink slip.  Nothing personal.  I just do not make snap decisions.  I'll call you with my deal after I've considered my options.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I threw my sales guy for a loop with this one..

I was driving home from work one day, past the local BMW dealership.  They had exactly what I was looking for in a CPO 3 series.  Turned around and looked at the car, the sticker and the sales guy came up and introduced himself.  Polite and professional and I explained I was just looking and was pressed for time and if he had any other CPO 3 series like the one I was looking at.  No was the answer and we decided to take the car for a spin.  I loved it and being pressed for time and couldn't do any paperwork.  Left with a handshake, his card and asked his work days.  I told him that I would be in the next day he was working which was two days later.

Two days later, I roll in with a deposit to a surprised face.  He actually told me he was surprised to see me and we worked out a deal.  No financing, bank check from my local branch and told him I would take delivery in two weeks due to my travel schedule.

Done deal and a surprised sales guy thinking I wasn't sold.

...i don't know what cops get paid where you live, but i don't think any down here can walk onto a parking lot and buy a 3series outright... most of them could barely do it if they were written a check for a years pay after taxes.

The thing to take away from this story is how shocked the salesman was.  This *never* happens.  If you hang your hat on be-backs, you'll be broke and looking for another job before you know it.

Probably more of us out here than most salesmen think.  I always tell them, "I take a few days to a week to make a major financial decision."  Some simply listening to me makes a HUGE difference.  A mid-week call is cool to chat about if the car is still on the lot, financing, whatever.  If I want the product, I'll buy it but I like the decision time and I like salepeople who listen to me.  Not sure if they run things differently at BMW places but I've always gotten along well with the sales staff and ended up with BMW's...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) No, they don't need to think about it, they aren't fucking sold, and they aren't coming back. Find out why they aren't sold or you're going to starve to death and live under a bridge.

2) No, he doesn't need to talk to his wife, if he cared about her opinion he would have brought her. He isn't fucking sold, and he's not coming back. Find out why he's not sold.

3) I know that you believe that this one is different, and that he really is sold, he just needs to consult his dog's psychologist first. You're never going to see him again, find out why he isn't sold.

4) If someone is telling you anything other than "Where do I sign?" it means that you haven't sold them. Maybe it's price, maybe it's features, maybe they just don't like you, but they are never going to get more sold than they are with you right in front of them.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE MORE SOLD ON YOUR PRODUCT THAN THEY ARE RIGHT NOW WHILE YOU ARE TALKING TO THEM. THEY AREN'T GOING TO WAKE UP TOMORROW AND GO 'HEY, THAT REALLY IS A GREAT DEAL!'

You can accomplish all of the above without being a pushy asshole. Make sure you bring up specials and a build a sense of urgency right from the start. If the first time you say "well this is only good for today" is when they are telling you that they need to think about it, you've already lost that sale.

Nobody walks on to a car lot because they want to buy an umbrella, they are there because they want a car. Objections are normal, if I made it through a sale without objections it worried the shit out of me, because it meant something would spring up during paperwork. Use "I understand" a lot - "I need to think about this" "I understand, this is a big decision, remind me again what you liked about this car?......Right, and does your car do that now?....Gotcha, and was this the color you were looking for?...Outstanding, so you needed to think about XXX then?....Well I'll tell you what, I'll need to see if I can get approval, but IF I CAN take care of XXX for you, can we do business today?

'If" closes are a powerful tool, and it will let you know if you're just spinning your wheels. If someone says no to an if close, start extrapolating out to the ridiculous - "So if I was able to get you this car for $50/mo and have that hot brunette come blow you, could we do business today?...No? Well then what would allow us to do business today?"

If someone tells you that they're just getting quotes, I would tell them flat out that I was not in the business of giving quotes, I was in the business of selling. I'm not going to waste their time or mine, when they are done shopping and actually ready to buy something, come see me, and I will beat anyone elses deal. Until then, bye.

You'd never get me to sign anything except your pink slip. Nothing personal. I just do not make snap decisions. I'll call you with my deal after I've considered my options.

He is actually right on 80% of the people.  A REALLY good saleman realizes AND recognizes the other 20% and can shift strategies and win them as well.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Take some classes or read a book or two on sales tactics.  Sales is a definite skill.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Got a buddy who sells cars for a living and he is making bank. He told me know what you are selling and do not be pushy. If the person wants some space give them your card and tel them if they have any questions let him know. I have bought my last five cars through him. He gets alot of repeat business because the way he treats people.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

1) No, they don't need to think about it, they aren't fucking sold, and they aren't coming back. Find out why they aren't sold or you're going to starve to death and live under a bridge.

2) No, he doesn't need to talk to his wife, if he cared about her opinion he would have brought her. He isn't fucking sold, and he's not coming back. Find out why he's not sold.

3) I know that you believe that this one is different, and that he really is sold, he just needs to consult his dog's psychologist first. You're never going to see him again, find out why he isn't sold.

4) If someone is telling you anything other than "Where do I sign?" it means that you haven't sold them. Maybe it's price, maybe it's features, maybe they just don't like you, but they are never going to get more sold than they are with you right in front of them.

NO ONE WILL EVER BE MORE SOLD ON YOUR PRODUCT THAN THEY ARE RIGHT NOW WHILE YOU ARE TALKING TO THEM. THEY AREN'T GOING TO WAKE UP TOMORROW AND GO 'HEY, THAT REALLY IS A GREAT DEAL!'

You can accomplish all of the above without being a pushy asshole. Make sure you bring up specials and a build a sense of urgency right from the start. If the first time you say "well this is only good for today" is when they are telling you that they need to think about it, you've already lost that sale.

Nobody walks on to a car lot because they want to buy an umbrella, they are there because they want a car. Objections are normal, if I made it through a sale without objections it worried the shit out of me, because it meant something would spring up during paperwork. Use "I understand" a lot - "I need to think about this" "I understand, this is a big decision, remind me again what you liked about this car?......Right, and does your car do that now?....Gotcha, and was this the color you were looking for?...Outstanding, so you needed to think about XXX then?....Well I'll tell you what, I'll need to see if I can get approval, but IF I CAN take care of XXX for you, can we do business today?

'If" closes are a powerful tool, and it will let you know if you're just spinning your wheels. If someone says no to an if close, start extrapolating out to the ridiculous - "So if I was able to get you this car for $50/mo and have that hot brunette come blow you, could we do business today?...No? Well then what would allow us to do business today?"

If someone tells you that they're just getting quotes, I would tell them flat out that I was not in the business of giving quotes, I was in the business of selling. I'm not going to waste their time or mine, when they are done shopping and actually ready to buy something, come see me, and I will beat anyone elses deal. Until then, bye.

You'd never get me to sign anything except your pink slip. Nothing personal. I just do not make snap decisions. I'll call you with my deal after I've considered my options.

He is actually right on 80% of the people.  A REALLY good saleman realizes AND recognizes the other 20% and can shift strategies and win them as well.

He is talking about challenging people to buy and also separating the tire kickers from the shoppers.  The "oh noes, the salesman will think I'm poor if I don't buy RIGHT NOW" act does work on the egotistical.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#26]
To all the guys that want to take your time and think about buying car.
The management at the dealership that I worked assumed that EVERYONE that came on the lot wants to buy a car RIGHT NOW.
If you let let soneone walk out the door without a test drive or even a godforsaken TO to management, they would send your ass home or give your a bunch of shit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is talking about challenging people to buy and also separating the tire kickers from the shoppers.  The "oh noes, the salesman will think I'm poor if I don't buy RIGHT NOW" act does work on the egotistical.

It's a shotgun approach, it doesn't work on everyone, nothing does, but most of the time it works every time.  The key to it is actually finding the objection - "I need to think about it" is NOT an objection, if you truly sold them and they think it is an amazing deal, they don't need to think about it, they will buy it right then.

Think about it this way, if you walked into a gun shop and saw a Larue OBR for $500, would you tell the salesman that you need a day to think about it?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:13:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
To all the guys that want to take your time and think about buying car.
The management at the dealership that I worked assumed that EVERYONE that came on the lot wants to buy a car RIGHT NOW.
If you let let soneone walk out the door without a test drive or even a godforsaken TO to management, they would send your ass home or give your a bunch of shit.

They got nothing on a Recruiting Station Command Group.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Here are the pitfalls of entereing this career:

1.  Some dealerships hire way more salesmen than can actually make a living - they get them to sell a car to everyone in their friends and family that they can, and then fire them when the sales drop off.

2.  Don't "profile" your cusotmers - that old guy in the dirty overalls may have just climbed down off of a forklift at his warehouse or a million dollar tractor to guy buy a car for his little girl to take to college - even if they can't buy, its good practice.

3.  Study, study, study the strengths and weaknesses of your product line, compared to other makes.  Know your product.

4.  Make friends with the used car manager - he is the one in charge of appraising your trade-ins.

5.  Make friends with the lot jockeys, porters, or whatever they are called - this will get your demo cleaned, and your customers taken care of, easier.  Some McDonald's coupons or whatever will go a long way.  Same for the "make ready"/"dealer prep" department.

6.  If you intend to make a career out of it for the long term, you might think of specializing in a particular area, particularly if you are strong in it - used sales, fleet, trucks, finance, leasing - see what opertunities present themselves.

7.  Don't be afraid to go on dealer transfers and such - even tho you aren;t going to make any sales doing it, management will remember team players when it comes time to credit their sales to salesmen for monthly bonuses, and also retention - IF they are worth a poop....

8.  Don't be afraid to offer such dealer-installed options as are available - sound system or wheel-tire upgrades, pinstripping, window etching, undercoating, paint and upholstery treatment.  Some dealerships really push this - some don;t....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
go back into the arboriculture industry.  Learn about tree health care and make some decent money.  I have been an arborist for 20 years and there is a new wave of services being offered that are less taxing/more profitable than tree removal.  Plus––-everyone loves the man that saves their trees

I agree, focus on Arboriculture and become a tree care professional who also does removals.......not only a tree remover.  

Remember, every tree removed is a customer lost.

Not to mention, rarely is there a removal that is not in some advanced state of decay.  I nearly ate a widow maker last week, but proper procedure in the back cut saved me.  It seems that they're all hollow in the middle- vine covered monsters next to high voltage lines.  Oh.........and removals are competitive; you make peanuts for your effort as you probably know.

Class 1 Prune should be in the top of your vocabulary.  Every tree on a care cycle is a healthy specimen and a revolving account.

Do you do deep root fertilization, spraying, cabling, lightning protection, etc?

No, no, no - the really cool stuff is all the technical treeclimbing gear and techniques!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I truly believe you were a salesman. But I have to ask, if you won't give me a quote, and other dealerships won't give me a quote, how can you beat everyone else's deal?

When I shop, I call several dealerships first to get quotes. The ones who won't give me a quote don't get my business. The ones who claim they can't do quotes because their prices are too low to put in writing, don't get my business. And the ones who say they can only give me a quote in person, not over the phone, don't get my business. In my lifetime, I have found that dealerships that use these lines are almost always the highest priced dealers, the pushiest dealers when it comes to add-ons and warranties, and the rudest when I truly want to just window shop to compare two different models.

In essence you are saying, "if you can't spend money with me right now, you are not worth my time". Which is fine if that works out for you. But there really are shoppers that compare models and take a few weeks to decide. Last car I bought took a month to narrow down what I wanted.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I love sales .OP just don't B.S. people and don't be afraid to ask for the sale.

Keep smiling and keep selling!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a real problem with dealer add on's. A local Nissen dealer has Nitrogen in the tires, $199.00, wheel locks, $100, pinstriping $200.
Now I checked around and the Nitrogen is a scam as I thought it was and I was wondering how many people they screwed out of $199.00 with this scam,  and I decided that I would never buy a car from them because of it.
The salesman of course launched into how great Nitrogen is and all of the benefits, and there are benefits if you area talking about a race car or a commercial airplane, otherwise not so much.
I never lie, even to car salespeople but I walked out a few times when they told me a blatant lie, and I never go back.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Watch your finance dept. like a frigging hawk.  When I sold cars, I held gross, but my finance guy would give it all away for them to buy warranty's that payed him money.  The would walk in with me making $4-500 and come out frigging $50 deals.  He would walk out with a shit eating grin saying he could not get the loan carried with what I sold it for.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#35]
My dad owned a Ford, Nissan, and Subaru Dealership over 45 years.
He retired 2 years ago.  (talk about timing) I peddled iron, did F & I, and
worked service all through college.  There is some really good info in here.

Here are some additional thoughts.

-If the dealership uses the '4 square', run like hell.  Find a place that doesnt use it.
Its been around since the beginning of time and people hate it.

-Use lots of assumptive closes.  The 'if I could, would you' is always a good indicator
of where you stand with a client.  Hell, use the scale of 1-10 close if you have to.

-Always fill in the information on your customers credit app.  This gives you a chance to
ask good buying questions and earn more rapore with them.

-Try and get all your paperwork shit together and make it comlete as possible for the F&I
guys.  Nothing is worse than going back 10 times asking for piddly shit you shoulda got the
1st time.

-Never skate another salesman. Every other swinging dick will hear about it and
it will come back and haunt you 5 fold.

-Make nice with a service writer or service dispatcher.  If a customer of yours has
problems, you can get stuff in the service schedule a little faster a look like a hero to your clients.
THey all like beer on Friday afternoons.

-Never, ever try to hit the 4 pounder on the single lady with kids, or the elderly.

-Down payment = gross.  Always.

-Never ever watch a Grant Cardone seminar or video.  Sleazy...  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:21:30 AM EDT
[#36]
There is some good advice above.  This should be a very worthwhile investment of time because:

You will learn a lot about people (customers and staff)
You will learn a lot about people who succeed and those who fail
You will learn a lot about self control
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:42:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is actually right on 80% of the people. A REALLY good saleman realizes AND recognizes the other 20% and can shift strategies and win them as well.

He is talking about challenging people to buy and also separating the tire kickers from the shoppers. The "oh noes, the salesman will think I'm poor if I don't buy RIGHT NOW" act does work on the egotistical.

It's a shotgun approach, it doesn't work on everyone, nothing does, but most of the time it works every time. The key to it is actually finding the objection - "I need to think about it" is NOT an objection, if you truly sold them and they think it is an amazing deal, they don't need to think about it, they will buy it right then.

Think about it this way,if you walked into a gun shop and saw a Larue OBR for $500, would you tell the salesman that you need a day to think about it?

I used this that technique to gauge interest when I was selling cars.  

I could near sell everything, except for the price.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I truly believe you were a salesman. But I have to ask, if you won't give me a quote, and other dealerships won't give me a quote, how can you beat everyone else's deal?

When I shop, I call several dealerships first to get quotes. The ones who won't give me a quote don't get my business. The ones who claim they can't do quotes because their prices are too low to put in writing, don't get my business. And the ones who say they can only give me a quote in person, not over the phone, don't get my business. In my lifetime, I have found that dealerships that use these lines are almost always the highest priced dealers, the pushiest dealers when it comes to add-ons and warranties, and the rudest when I truly want to just window shop to compare two different models.

In essence you are saying, "if you can't spend money with me right now, you are not worth my time". Which is fine if that works out for you. But there really are shoppers that compare models and take a few weeks to decide. Last car I bought took a month to narrow down what I wanted.

Lots of places will give quotes, lots of places will flat out lie to you to get you in the door - by telling a customer "Look, I don't give quotes, I sell, when you're done shopping and ready to buy, come see me and I'll beat anyone else's deal" you're giving yourself an opportunity to actually compete.  If you just throw out a number, someone else will beat that number to get in front of the person and then make back the difference via bullshit.  Sales is all about opportunities, and you have to give yourself the opportunity to actually close a deal.  Giving someone a price over the phone doesn't give you that opportunity, but telling them in a no-bullshit way that when they are ready to buy you'll beat everyone else, you give yourself a shot to at least compete with the lowest 'bid' he got.

Else, you throw out a number, next guy he calls throws out a number thats $1k higher - he says "hey this other place offered me $1k lower", dealership on the phone goes "Oh, well let me see what I can do *put you on hold for a few minutes* - Hey, GREAT news, I was able to sweet talk a few rebates out of management, I can actually beat that other price by $600!

There went your opportunity.  Will a few people still deal with your original number because they felt like the other place was trying to swindle them at first? Probably, but most people operate on a bottom line capacity - they want the best deal for them right now, and who really gives a shit if the salesman gives you great service, you want a good deal *now*.

Edit - I've been in sales management for longer than I was a salesman, my paycheck came from the people under me actually selling, this shit works.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Sooooo OP how did it go?  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Good luck on your new career as the #1 most despised and distrusted profession in America.

Remember that, with every day and every greeting that every single person that shakes your hand or walks across the lot would prefer you didn't exist.

Good times.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Good luck on your new career as the #1 most despised and distrusted profession in America.

Remember that, with every day and every greeting that every single person that shakes your hand or walks across the lot would prefer you didn't exist.

Good times.

Don't be so hard on the boy, I am certain politicians are the #1 most despised and distrusted profession in America.

(Followed closely by used car salesmen. )
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Good luck, man. I did it for a year and a half (Nissan/VW/Audi).

Get ready for 50-60 hour weeks, no weekends, fucked up hours, insane customers, insane coworkers, and stress.

Wear comfortable shoes. If you're in a shirt-and-tie dealership, make sure you wear an undershirt. Hell, if you're in a golf-shirt dealership, wear an undershirt. Sweat stains don't sell cars. Make sure you look professional. Shower/shave EVERY day before work. Trim your nails every couple days. Make sure your shoes are polished. Pants clean and pressed (do you own an iron? Get one!), shirts clean and pressed (even golf shirts), wear a nice but not TOO nice watch. Timex, Casio, Bulova: good. Rolex: bad. Look like you're making honest money but not flashy about it. NO other jewelry unless it's a wedding ring. Lose any visible piercings. Subtle necklaces are ok, but they should be under your shirt at all times.

Customers are "ups". Don't EVER steal an up from another salesman. This is called skating and has often resulted in shouting matches and occasionally fistfights. It is literally money out of pocket.

Card an up during the first conversation. ALWAYS have business cards in your pocket, no matter if you're working or not. You can find ups at the bar, golf course, shooting range, whatever. Tell them to come in and see you, give them a card, and make sure you tell them to ASK FOR YOU. Someone WILL skate an up who doesn't ask for you.

Have a few kids toys, books, coloring books, whatever, stuck in a desk drawer for the kids. Small candy is good too (dum-dum pops, tootsie rolls, etc) but always check with mom and dad.

If there's a soda machine for customers, make sure you have change for it. Offer folks a piece of candy, a mint, a soda/water/tea/coffee, whatever. Make them comfortable.

Know your product inside-out. Displacement, horses, sticker pricing of every option and package... Most people don't care about the tech numbers but there is always a gearhead that will try to bust your chops.

DON'T EVER LIE. If you don't know the answer, simply leave it at, "You know, I've never been asked that before, so let me find out."

Don't be the pushy asshole. You may not move quite as many cars as number one, but you'll end up with repeat customers and referrals - and those are PURE GOLD.

If someone walks without buying, call them back the next day and thank them for their time, ask if they have any questions, and make sure they feel welcome coming back to see you for further help.

You can have a lot of fun selling cars. It can also eat your soul.

Good luck.

(Are you on salary or draw?)
Great advice from a Pro.

+1

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#43]
tag for AAR
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#44]
well ya sell anything?

my first day we were supposed to train all day but walking back in from lunch

I caught a guy wandering that no one had talked to

I sold him and his brother each a scooter

owner of the dealership said fuck it give that guy a price sheet he doesn't need to sit on his ass and watch videos the rest of the day

FWIW of the 4 people in training that day I was the only one there at the end of the month

ya either have it or ya don't and watching the vids and reading the books will just turn you into a sleazy pushy asshole

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with Nerf.

Don't take this personal, it's just the way car salesman think:

You want a quote?  Look at the sticker...there's your quote.  What you really want to do is shop me against everyone else.  No thanks.  You can say "well, I won't do business with you", but that's ok because you probably weren't anyway.  And the time I spent dicking with you I could've definitely sold a car.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#46]
any updates from the OP?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Good luck, man. I did it for a year and a half (Nissan/VW/Audi).
Get ready for 50-60 hour weeks, no weekends, fucked up hours, insane customers, insane coworkers, and stress.
Wear comfortable shoes. If you're in a shirt-and-tie dealership, make sure you wear an undershirt. Hell, if you're in a golf-shirt dealership, wear an undershirt. Sweat stains don't sell cars. Make sure you look professional. Shower/shave EVERY day before work. Trim your nails every couple days. Make sure your shoes are polished. Pants clean and pressed (do you own an iron? Get one!), shirts clean and pressed (even golf shirts), wear a nice but not TOO nice watch. Timex, Casio, Bulova: good. Rolex: bad. Look like you're making honest money but not flashy about it. NO other jewelry unless it's a wedding ring. Lose any visible piercings. Subtle necklaces are ok, but they should be under your shirt at all times.
Customers are "ups". Don't EVER steal an up from another salesman. This is called skating and has often resulted in shouting matches and occasionally fistfights. It is literally money out of pocket.
Card an up during the first conversation. ALWAYS have business cards in your pocket, no matter if you're working or not. You can find ups at the bar, golf course, shooting range, whatever. Tell them to come in and see you, give them a card, and make sure you tell them to ASK FOR YOU. Someone WILL skate an up who doesn't ask for you.
Have a few kids toys, books, coloring books, whatever, stuck in a desk drawer for the kids. Small candy is good too (dum-dum pops, tootsie rolls, etc) but always check with mom and dad.
If there's a soda machine for customers, make sure you have change for it. Offer folks a piece of candy, a mint, a soda/water/tea/coffee, whatever. Make them comfortable.
Know your product inside-out. Displacement, horses, sticker pricing of every option and package... Most people don't care about the tech numbers but there is always a gearhead that will try to bust your chops.
DON'T EVER LIE. If you don't know the answer, simply leave it at, "You know, I've never been asked that before, so let me find out."
Don't be the pushy asshole. You may not move quite as many cars as number one, but you'll end up with repeat customers and referrals - and those are PURE GOLD.
If someone walks without buying, call them back the next day and thank them for their time, ask if they have any questions, and make sure they feel welcome coming back to see you for further help.
You can have a lot of fun selling cars. It can also eat your soul.
Good luck.
(Are you on salary or draw?)

Absorb all above.
Would only add the importance of phone ups as well.  Unless your dealership has a contrary policy, grab every phone call you can.  Do a light qualify over the phone, try to get a commit time/date.  You've turned a cold fishing call into a "lead" who will ask for you by name when they come to the lot.
After doing it successfully for some time, the process can lose some of the the "specialness" for the seller, but it's always special for the buyer.  You do this dozens of times a month, each buyer does it maybe once every several years.  Make it a "big deal."  Even for many Porsche buyers who otherwise may appear "cool and disconnected" a new Porsche is a BIG deal to them.  Keep it fun.
Set up a bird-dog system if your dealership allows it.  Offer $50 to anyone who refers you a customer, AND who subsequently buys.  Oh, and without question, PAY the bird-dog.
Send your customers "birthday cards" on the anniversary of their purchases, with a few of your business cards inside.
It's never a signature, it's an autograph.  
When approaching a husband and wife couple, ALWAYS greet the woman first.
If you have to T/O to an F+I person, buy them lunch once a month.  An F+I person puts "free money" into your pocket.  A GOOD F+I person will put much "free money" into your pocket.  Keep them happy.  
Lastly, lay downs are not customers that you can sleep with.  If fact, that's a pretty good way to end an otherwise promising sales career...sleeping with ANY customer, that is.
4yrs, VW/Porsche/Audi/Chrysler - new and used.
Like most things in life, it's what you make of the opportunity.  You can make it fun and profitable, or miserable and degrading.

Have fun.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with Nerf.

Don't take this personal, it's just the way car salesman think:

You want a quote?  Look at the sticker...there's your quote.  What you really want to do is shop me against everyone else.  No thanks.  You can say "well, I won't do business with you", but that's ok because you probably weren't anyway.  And the time I spent dicking with you I could've definitely sold a car.

Most dealerships have a website, With all their stock. It's much easier with the internet, Than to drive around getting quotes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I have been in the business for 20 years. It has it's ups and downs. But so does every business. I have worked my way up through the "ranks", from sales to management. It will creep into your very soul and ruin you for any other career(if you are good). It can and should be fun, not only for you but your client. Make  them laugh and enjoy themselves. When you get some info from them give something back from your life. People want to know that you are human, have a wife and 2.5 children. The more you can lower the walls of the customer, the more comfortable they will become with you.There will always be dick head customers, they will account for about 10% or them. there will always be "lay downs" another 10% and then the 80% of customers are just normal people. I have had a good career in the car business, I have a lot of fun selling cars(I am now a general manager). Good luck and have fun. The more fun you have the more money you will make. Get your client to laugh and have a good time then you can ask for the business.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top